Boat launchers

Discussion in 'General' started by Boatmeister, Dec 4, 2019.

1. Boatmeister

Boatmeister Active Member

Not sure if this is the proper location for this, so admins, if not please feel free to move thread to proper location.

I reinjured my back about 2.5 months ago and have been having continual issues with it since. I already have had it worked on once and am not looking to go through that again! Is there a boat launcher/design out there that has been used in the hobby that will allow those of us with some physical limitations to launch our ships without straining the back? Thanks.

Eric

2. Nibbles1

Nibbles1 Well-Known Member

Not sure if this counts but we at the WWCC have a sort of elevator. It can take multiple boats at a time and sets them down in the water. It is operated by a rope (not perfect for the back) but you can have somebody put their boat in with your boat. I have seen it put a Kreuzer P and two transports at a time.
    It is in the background somewhere. Some of the other WWCC people have better pictures (I think I might have one)

3. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

I use a launching stick with my Deutschlands. While they don't relieve any of the weight of the ship, they do allow me to launch and recover without bending over. The launching sticks I built for the PDNs can easily handle up to an Invincible-sized ship, and probably some of the larger dreadnoughts of the era. I made them from half-inch copper tube and fittings from the local hardware store, soldered together.
    20191205_205750[1].jpg
    Launching stick with battleship, ready to go!
    20191205_205811[1].jpg
    Same launching stick, without the battleship.

For larger WWII-era boats, here are a few examples I saw at NATS:

View: https://youtu.be/iOO5aChg8l0
    If you are particularly creative, I bet you could incorporate a scissor-lift into one of those launching trolleys, so you don't even have to lift the ship up to your table between sorties. Probably a lot of work, but if you really want to drive a Yamato with a back injury...

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
    Edward M Frank likes this.
  4. Anvil_x

Anvil_x Well-Known Member

I use an off-road hand trolley. big wheels to handle the random bumps and such. it works pretty darn well for me. if you need to, you can build a cradle that can be ratchet-strapped onto the trolley's deck to hold a wide boat.

I can easily handle a Texas (~9 inches wide, 48 long, 23 lbs). but plan to build a cradle for Idaho (8 pounds heavier) and CandyCornia (widest US BB at 9.5 inches).

You could probably mod a hand trolley to be even more capable if you have a welder. I'd weld on an axle for 24 or 26 inch bicycle tires about halfway up, making it a 4 wheel trolley, then make a cradle to take advantage of the revised angle. easily disassembled to be used in conventional form if you do it right.

5. Boatmeister

Cool beans! Thanks for the suggestions and the ideas. Will look into something over the holidays.

6. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

Just a heads up, the PVC cart I built for Bart was not a great success. After a season of use it was trashed after NATs due to it coming apart. Go with what you see @thegeek using, aluminum angle with machine screws or pop rivets.

When you run a 45lb boat, there's always someone around you could ask for help lifting it on to your table. But you also just have to accept the fact that you built a 45+lb boat and need to deal with the logistics. No clever cart with built in go-go-gadget scissor lift is going to save you when it sinks in 4ft of water and has 20~lb of water in it.

rcaircraftnut likes this.
  7. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Bring a teen and bribe them. I used to take payments in pizza and pictures of the wreck :D

8. Nibbles1

The best solution! :D
    I'm willing to be bribed!!! I'll take pizza too

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
  9. Boatmeister

Unfortunately my granddaughters are 3 and a few years away from being able to lift anything but a destroyer...without putting their fingers through the side

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
    rcaircraftnut likes this.
  10. Nibbles1

TRUST ME, FROM A 13 YEAR OLD MIND, I'D DO ANYTHING FOR PIZZA (or candy)

rcaircraftnut and Boatmeister like this.
  11. Selley

Selley Active Member

not for me

Boatmeister likes this.
  12. Nibbles1

Candy? I know kids who would kill for candy. If you traffic candy to school, you can make so much money!

Boatmeister likes this.
  13. Selley

Selley Active Member

14. Selley

Selley Active Member

Cool boat ramp

15. NASAAN101

NASAAN101 Well-Known Member

Right now, my largest ships is my 96scale USS Artemis. She's 16.5bs and a fun little ship.

16. Selley

Selley Active Member

Right now my largest ship is the dorset but soon it will be the montana at almost 2 meters in lengh

17. Nibbles1

My largest is Kitakami. I never compared her with another ship.

Now it is Haguro

Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
  18. jcollins

jcollins Active Member

My largest is the 96 scale HMS Hood; 108 lbs and 1/2 inch under 9 feet long. I definitely need a launcher for it.

19. buttsakauf

buttsakauf Well-Known Member

1/72 Tirpitz. Must be filled/assembled on the water. Picked it up off another battler. Only assembled it once.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
  20. Nibbles1

Lol this has become a size comparison. BTW how often do you use that Tirpitz, that must be a pain.