Boat launchers

Discussion in 'General' started by Boatmeister, Dec 4, 2019.

1. NASAAN101

NASAAN101 Well-Known Member

hey John,
    Dont you mean Old hood! I rememeber that old girl! she amazing! I can to see the other 96scale Denmarck starits Ships with here smaller 144th scale sisters :D
    Nikki

2. Edward M Frank

Edward M Frank New Member

My solution is to build a semi-floating drydock. I have a 1/48 Fletcher destroyer I need to get to my pond ~ 5 minutes away.

With steep berm to pond level, plan is to have thin tires for towing, launch & recovery. Plastic cargo-style webbing will provide hull support. Flotation system will keep launch/recovery trailer afloat as I drive boat in for recovery.

Lever handle will close at end of trailer to retain boat.

Boatmeister likes this.
  3. wdodge0912

wdodge0912 Well-Known Member

So slapped this together based on Memory of seeing Kotori's design. Turned out a lot bigger than what I remembered. Gonna take it home as it's not soldered and cut it down there. Solder it all later

Attached Files:

4. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

That looks pretty hefty. Mine was only intended for predreadnoughts, an Invincible at most. I tried it on some of the bigger boats and it was straining.

5. wdodge0912

Yea, I didnt realize how big it was until I had it all set up, lol. I didn't solder it yet so I can cut it down. I did a little bit of that already, going to see here soon if it was enough

6. rcaircraftnut

rcaircraftnut Well-Known Member

I like rope slings for larger ships. Cheap and easy to use.

7. rcaircraftnut

But I am looking at building something with wheels to be able to carry the ships, (at least two battleships) and all the support gear with a trailer hitch so I can haul it behind the Goldwing next season.

8. wdodge0912

Since I don't have room in my car for a lot, the plan was to make a ship "box" that has wheels on one side, and some straps to raise/lower it in. I have a PT boat that came with a box and it keeps it pretty secure in there. Wheels will let me roll them, and then also handles so I can stack them. Also since I dont have a decent toolbox or a lot of tools for that matter, was going to get ome of those flat garden wagons and build a toolbox on top, so it can also be rolled out to the pond. Eventually I'll get my own, but for now I'll just borrow a utility trailer that has a ramp. Hook up the trailer to my car, eheel everything on, strap it in place, and be good to go.

Probably more than what you would want to pull with a bike, but was just a thought I've been toying g with with getting a trailer.

rcaircraftnut likes this.
  9. rcaircraftnut

I have an 86 Honda Goldwing Aspencade SEi it's able to tow quite a lot. Lol. IMG_20200308_101351301_HDR.jpg Still need to finish the refit on her. Doing tires,timing belts, and fork seals to bring the maintenance up on it from sitting for a long time.

10. rcaircraftnut

And unless you know a free painter laugh away but it's a cheap rental and it's quiet and away from all the idacy of the big city. Lol. Talking about the house not the bike. Hahaha.

11. Commodore

Commodore Well-Known Member

There's something to be said for cheap & away from the big city.

12. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

look in the mirror and you found your painter ;)

13. rcaircraftnut

I don't work free on other people's stuff. Unless it's a fellow modeler at an event or build session. That's about it. Lol.

14. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

yeah, the whole rental thing makes it some one else's problem. kind of miss that bit every time i realize the repair guy I'm going to call is myself.

15. wdodge0912

My last landlord either took the cost of any work I did off of our rent, or paid me back for it, for both time and materials as well. Always worked out a deal with him, I was just happy to get the material cost back most of the stuff I had to fix (not wanted to) was plumbing stuff.

16. rcaircraftnut

For what we pay I have no problem with how it looks haha. But the landlord is poor as we are so she needs the rent to pay her own bills. It is what it is.

17. Selley

Selley Active Member

Now you need a little sidecar for the boat :-D

18. rcaircraftnut

Trailer for the boats. Side car for the dog. Lol.

NASAAN101 and Selley like this.
  19. kgaigalas

kgaigalas Well-Known Member