Bobbing for the Big Apple. USS New York

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by bikefish, Aug 12, 2014.

1. bikefish

bikefish Member

I hope that title sounds as clever as it does in my head. Anyway, I'm going to be documenting my USS New York build here. You can see all the picture here. The fun gets started in the posts below.

2. bikefish

bikefish Member

Part 1. Things arive.
    A nice little supprise was waiting at home yesterday.
    [​IMG]
    The kit from RCENG had arived. Let me say that it is very nice. Given that I havent done more then test fit, I cant say much about it but it definetly makes me feel more comfortable with the process. A short while later...
    [​IMG]
    All the parts are out. Some very minor sanding needed in order to clean up a few of the spots where parts seperated from the sheets. Not a big deal.
    [​IMG]
    Of course the first thing one must do is lay the keel. Fits together great.
    [​IMG]
    The sub-deck also fits together quite nicely.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I desided it was a good idea to test-fit everything so when I get to glueing I know how it all fits. The parts went together nice and easy. It is a very good looking kit. I am going to be waiting until I get the rest of the parts from Strike until I start gluing things in place as it will be much easier to remove the built in motor mounts if nessisary.

3. bgt0990

bgt0990 Active Member

How come I am not seeing pictures here? We wants pictures! Those are great kits, I have laid the keel down for the Texas but haven'y done much else. I will be watching to see how you progress.
    Barry

4. bikefish

bikefish Member

That...that is a good question. My guess is I mucked up the sharing on the album because the links still look good. Not much else has happened since test-fitting. Waiting on my order from Strike. Did have the batteries arrive on the porch yesterday. If you have a Google+ account, PM me the email and I can share the album with you.

5. bgt0990

bgt0990 Active Member

I try to stay away from Google\NSA as much as possible

6. bikefish

bikefish Member

Ah, the lovely shipping notification email. All the parts I ordered from Strike are on the way down I-5. If all goes well with USPS, I should be able to start gluing this weekend.

7. Vandal

Vandal Member

This is awesome!

8. bikefish

bikefish Member

Well I had a most plesent supprise waiting for me at home.
    [​IMG]
    All of the parts from Strike have arived. Now I can get to assembleing the hull, as I can make sure things fit. On that front, I have a question about the drive shaft mounts. The kit includes a set of mounts for motors built into Rib 12, however the ones I have are not going to fit at all. There are pre-made shaft holes in Rib 13 that I do want to use. Pictures below.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    So I have a few opptions here. The first is the cut the mounts in rib 12 off and use gears to get power to the shafts. Second is to keep the mounts in place and try to fenegal the motors into a place where I can do direct drive. The third option would to go find some motors that do fit, and keep the two I have now as backup pump motors. I want to make a call on this before I glue the hull frame together as it will most likely be a royal PITA to modify the mounts on rib 12 after then. Any advice?

9. rcengr

rcengr Vendor

Is it just the spacing of the holes that are the problem? You can enlarge the center hole to fit the boss of the motor and then drill a new set of mounting holes. The holes provided are 19mm, but if those are 380 motors I think you need 16mm holes. With the motor mounted on the bow side of rib 12 you will have room for the U-joints between the ribs.

10. bikefish

bikefish Member

On further inspection of what I have, some mounts did come with the kit. It looks like they will fit between ribs 11 and 12. The mounts appear to be ment for doing a geared drive to allow a direct run to the prop shafts. I can use the Picture of what Im talking about.
    [​IMG]
    Does this look like its going to work, or am I using the parts totaly wrong?

11. irnuke

irnuke -->> C T D <<--

I think you're meant to mount the motor where you have the gearbox. Coupler (direct drive) goes between the two ribs at right in the pic. Shortens the driveline by 1 rib compared to what you've got in pic.
    In your "pleasant surprise" post, the right side pic shows the rib w/ 3 holes for the motor mount. Two small outer ones are for mounting screws into the motor, while the driveshaft pokes thru the middle one. If the middle hole is too small for the bearing mount moulded into the front of the motor can, use a drill bit to widen the hole to the correct diameter.
    If you do choose to go geared drive, mount it where you've got it in the pic. Your drivetrain will be a bit longer, but you'll have more torque available.

12. bikefish

bikefish Member

Ah, I see how the built in mounts are supposed to work now. With a choice, geared or Direct. Best to sleep on it I think

13. bikefish

bikefish Member

There was productivity this weekend. I got the hull mostly put together. Didn't take lots of pictures tho, sort of got in the zone. Here is how things are looking now.
    [​IMG]
    Now, just to get blocks for the hull and material for sheeting the bottom. Then more progress can be made!

14. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

Watching this quite eagerly. You're making me contemplate getting my kit out of its packaging sooner rather than later. Are you hoping to come north and play with us after you finish?

15. bikefish

bikefish Member

That would be the plan. I'm only about 3 hours drive on I-5 away.

Going to try and get the blocks for the bow and stern today. The Great Sanding can then begin.

16. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Very nice. I love these wood kit builds.

17. bikefish

bikefish Member

Well I didn't get to buying the blocks yesterday. At some point this weekend Im going to take the hull into the hobby store so I can get blocks and sheeting for the bottom. I know I will be able to find some balsa sheets, when glassed are they going to be durable enough?

18. rcengr

rcengr Vendor

You can sheet with balsa. My first cruiser, which is still operational, was sheeted with 1/8" balsa sheet and then fiberglassed. You do need to take care to seal and protect the inside of the balsa sheeting or it will get chewed up fast. I started by just coating the balsa with epoxy, but that cracked and let in water. When I refurbished the ship I painted the balsa with self-leveling polyurethane and it has held up well.

19. bikefish

bikefish Member

Things are still in progress. Working on sanding the hull to shape now. Have not had tons of free time.

20. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

*bump*
    Has life found you some time to play with toy boats?