Bogue Class Carrier Hull Kit

Discussion in 'Product Review' started by Jacky Fisher, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Jacky Fisher

Jacky Fisher Member

I ordered RCENGR's laser cut wood kit and it's beautiful. It put it together and CA'd it in the living room while watching TV in about an hour. Never had a quicker, cleaner build. Just be sure that when you identify the port and starboard side of the flight deck, you flip them over for assembly. I laid them out right side up, then proceeded to glue the base to the top (damn Larry David, he's too funny). My wife has no idea how I used the living room last night ;-)
    The fiberglass bow and stern pieces make for great hard area and the extra detail parts are awesome. The search lights are especially nice.

The only change or improvement I could see would be in making the basswood hull stringer cut-outs optional. Maybe score them so they can be popped out, or cut them so we have the option to glue them in to fill the cut-out. Convoy ships in MWCI must be penetrable all the way to the 45 degree, so we can't use that stringer to define the hard area.

But that's not a criticism; it was such a quick and easy assembly that filling those cut-outs will probably more than double my build time... might add another whole hour ;-)

Buy these kits, support Mark's efforts!!!

2. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Heck yeah. The fiberglass bow and stern are a nice touch, and the layup is superb.

3. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

Dreading the answer but does he have a site that lists what is available?

4. rcengr

rcengr Vendor

5. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

Whew, I'm safe at the moment as none of those hulls tickle my fancy. Any more predreads and I may be buying a couple.
    Depending on the flavour of course. :)
    The pictures of the kits look amazing though. Fantastic work.

6. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

A clarification on the penetrable window for convoy ships in MWCI ... the hull does not have to be penetrable to the 45 degree curve if the ship has at least 1" between the waterline and the bottom of the penetrable window.

The reason builders take it to the 45 degree curve is because the convoy ships are generally run as light as possible to float as high as it can ... which leaves the floating waterline rather low on the hull.

7. Jacky Fisher

Jacky Fisher Member

All this time and now you point that out! I guess like my warships and my head, all my stuff is soft.

8. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

To tag a little more to this review ...

I was lucky enough to win one of the Bogue kits at this years Treaty Convference. Mark had already assembled the hull and included a few extras like the motor, gearbox, and a very nifty fiberglass hull bottom that a builder can simply glue on like the fiberglass bow and stern pieces.

To say this ship kit is impressive is a gross understatement. The CAD work and laser cutting is professionally done. The hull design is amazingly well thought out for ease of construction. The PDF instructions is well written, easily understood, and included pictures targetted at areas that just might give a new builder a problem. The instructions even included a link to a set of online plans that the builder can reference if needed!

I predict that the ship builder can have this hull (and any of Mark's other laser cut kit hulls) assembled and ready for sheeting in the same (or even less!) time that it would take to cut the windows and install the drive shafts in a fiberglass hull. The Bogue is truely the easiest wooden ship to build.

Add in the modest price for the kit and you have a world class ship.

9. MasterClay

MasterClay Active Member

I also purchased one of Mark's Bogue class carrier kits and was really impressed with how well done the kit and instructions are. I am new to this hobby with no completed ships yet and found Marks kit really easy to assemble and the directions were great, i had it together and ready to sheet in about a hour. Keep up the great work Mark and i'll be looking forward to your future kits
    Jason

10. Jacky Fisher

Jacky Fisher Member

Here's how she turned out.[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

I like the little trucks on deck :) Nice looking convoy.

12. Jacky Fisher

Jacky Fisher Member

Thanks. I cast my own tanks but the Trucks are a Gray Wolf Squadron product.

13. rcengr

rcengr Vendor

Nice job! I love it!

14. Jacky Fisher

Jacky Fisher Member

I'll buy anything you release that's British! Especially ships with pretty ram bows (King Edward VII class?)