Bragging Contest

Discussion in 'General' started by Kotori87, Dec 1, 2006.

1. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

OK, folks. This is a bragging contest. Boast about your best and brightest accomplishments, and make even your mediocre or dubious accomplishments sound incredible. Try to include both few serious boasts, and a few silly ones. Have fun and enjoy!

For example:

I sank ten ships in less than three months, including four battleships.

I was the Last Man Standing in the first annual WWCC Battle Royale Cage Match.

I'm younger than some of the ships I fight [:D]

I ALMOST scored the first ever sink with a completely unarmed transport... a 5400 ton tanker! If only my ship had a little more room to accelerate [:eek:)]

I've snagged as many enemy ships with my minefields as I have myself!
    My Scharnhorst directly caused the sinking of two German dreadnoughts. The Allied team just helped a little bit [:0]

I've recovered my own boat off the bottom of the pond LESS times than I've recovered other people's boats.

2. aroeske

aroeske Member

Err, took 121 above, 11 on and 9 below the waterline in two sorties.

Does that count? :)

3. Kotori87

MOST DEFINITELY! and how long did you survive?

4. aroeske

aroeske Member

Can't remember all the details. I do remember that it was fresh balsa and the first time I put the cammo scheme on the North Carolina. It was probably a couple of hours of battling, as that was a pretty good battle. Probably 1-1.5 hours on the water, then a quick patch reload job and probably another hour or so before I got caught away from port. I did get it patched at mostly function (all except C-turret if I remember right) in 30 minutes and got back on the water for last man standing. :)

5. DarrenScott

DarrenScott -->> C T D <<--

My first sink was a "Rookie slugfest". Just myself and Ben Harradence, my HMS Rodney against his RM Imperio, stationary, side by side, blazing away at each other. Thankfully, Rodney's short hull kept his rear cannon from getting any effective shots in, whilst the concentrated fire from her nine 1/4 guns shredded Imperio's previously damaged and patched bow. After about ten minutes, realising that his ship was starting to settle, and with his pump not running properly, Ben took off at flank speed to try to make port. The extra water from the bow-wave sealed Imperio's fate and she went under by the bow, gracefully, like a u-boat submerging. Rodney took almost an hour to patch. The balsa on the port side of the hull facing Imperio was very much the worse for wear.

6. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

OOHH there have been soo many high points. Ah lets see well there was the Canadian Nationals last September. Yamato was the lone battleship in company with Sharnhorst in a couple of sorties but generally fought the entire Allied Fleet alone, sinking all but one ship and by the end of it was the last ship afloat.Techincally the Axis won that weekend but due to new rule changes were we had some mini battles prio to Can-natts the scores from those battles helped edged the Allies to claim NATIONAL VICTORY. But lets just say the Allies don't like to brag about that contest lol. Another battle would be Yamato going dead at Can-nats 5 twice and survived being a point blank target from the entire allied fleet sucking up over 600 holes.
    There was a time Bismarck got a lucky shot off on a British monitor in rough water and sank it.In PEI Yamato was attacked by both Nagato and NC, simultaneously, survived that and in turn sank both ships.

Maybe we should have a humiliation section here so that we can share our most humiliating moments. I got a few of those admittingly.

7. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

HAD TO POST THIS ONE. CAN-NATS 8 2005, Yamato and NC point blank and beached. NC blows major below waterline holes, Yamato returns fire and disentigrates a 8 inc by 1 inch section of Balsa above the armor belt.Nelson came by and put the final rounds to sink Yamato but not after NC finished putting the hurt on Yamato.

8. Craig

Craig Active Member

I must get into this one as the NC in question was mine:

2005 - Battle of Saint John's and a sleep-deprived-pit-crew that braved the fog and rain to get my girl on the water for a world fleet battle. Only to watch two Yamatos hammer each other and as my teammate's (Curt's) Yammie went under the contest director declared that I could call my five out of control. (Two things to point out... the contest director was using the other yammie and my NC was out of control from the start.) I had reverse and right turning... god, I made some wicked donuts! And the miserable thing made five to boot!

2005 - CANNATS 8 .... *shakes his head* Curt thinks that smashing out eight inches of my starboard balsa was fun and I must admit from the expressions of those around, they had never seen that type of damage before, it was funny. What he did not put in his story was that his boss, who was enjoying the event and later came by for a BBQ with the club, was getting right into this. Usually when you bring the boss out you wine and dine him, but, oh no not Curt, he put the guy to work repairing the ships (including NC ) for the next day's events!

2006 - Fire after refit - Went sailing one Sunday morning and the crews were doing fine. Speed and turning were graceful, cannons were tweaked and optimal. And a fire broke out from the electrical room. The quick-thinking and acting crew, rushed into the water to do the only thing they could think of "Flood all COmpartments"!!!!

2006 - Mini-CANNATS - Three weekend competitions leading up to and counting towards CANNATS 9 (agreed upon four months earlier by both AXIS and ALLIES) And the mighty South Carolina ravages the Nagato. They exchanged vicious shot back and forth. The SC slowly rolled to port and met her fate. The NAG, dipped low in the stern and sank beside the yanks, her captains mouth wide with amazement. On a side note, the NC with one side mount working took a challenge from the fully operational NAG, and although neither boat sunk, the damage to the both ships was within 100 points. Pretty good shooting on the Ole' NC's part.

2006 - CANNATS 9 - Fantastic. You would never believe it but it is true. After three furious battles the Axis and Allies lined up to test themselves once more. The NC with no luck whatsoever sank gracefully under the waves having given up all her systems. The Invincible, South Carolina, and Ontario were next it was not a good day to be an allied captain. Lo and behold. The Nelson rakes the Sharnhorst and down she goes... but not before fouling her masts in the back turret of the old english girl. The weight was too much to fathom and under the Nelson went... very sad indeed. One of the most incredible take downs as the Scharnnie did not have to fire a shot, not that it could, the hoses had blown. Let that be a lesson to all, celebrating a victory can sometimes come at a cost. :)

Cheers, hope you all enjoyed the stories....

9. Kotori87

OOh, ooh! Story time!

2005- don't remember which battle... my Scharnhorst was prowling outside the Allied port, when I noticed USS Iowa bearing down on a nearby friendly tanker. I was facing straight away from the engagement, so I kicked in full reverse to intercept the Iowa before it got to the transport. I got in blocking position, still steaming full reverse, on a parallel course with the Iowa at point-blank range and matched my three 7/32" dia cannons against his six 1/4" dia cannons. Scharnhorst looked like swiss cheese by the end of the sortie, but the transport got through.

2005- last battle of the year... Someone got the bright idea to stick a wireless video camera on my Scharnhorst's forward turret. The front bilge pump was causing radio interference with the camera, so the wires to it were cut. Battle began, Scharnhorst took one test fire, then guns stopped responding. All the Allies were eager to get their pictures taken, and offered many small steel balls as payment. Long story short, Scharnhorst went down in six inches of water just outside the Axis port, with one minute before the end of the battle, without firing a single shot in return. Unfortunately, the camera ran out of film more than a minute before the sinking :(

2006- July... I head out to sea in Spahkreuzer SP-1, a german light cruiser. one minute into battle, the rudder linkage comes off the tiller, leaving the rudders free-spinning. The Allies take notice of my erratic maneuvering, and eagerly come charging in to put Spahkreuzer under. Several other Axis ships eagerly come charging in to save my sorry butt, and their over-enthusiastic defense/offense winds up with Spahkreuzer's quarterdeck getting run over three times. Spahkreuzer survived the sortie with 20 heavy-caliber hits, more than twice the average battleship damage, and won the battle.

2006- October Last Man Standing... Before I tell this story, you must understand that in my club, transports are allowed to ram. It doesn't matter if it's a little coastal tramp steamer or a 60,000 ton, 30-knot behemoth like the SS Normandie, they can legally smash into, run over, and sink anything that gets in their way. It's their only defense in a club that considers it more important to sink the other team's transport than to defend their own. So, when two cruisers and a pair of battleships get clustered together and stuck on the boundary rope during the 2nd round of the Last Man Standing battle, the SS Normandie smells its chance to eliminate some of the competition. Normandie sails out of the bushes where it was hiding, centers the mass of ships in its sights, and gives the command "RAMMING SPEED!" Then, out of nowhere, DKM Spahkreuzer dashes in and disintigrates a 1.5" by .375" section of balsa on the port side, aft quarter, at the waterline, forcing the Normandie off its course, then retreats to reload. Normandie has to circle around again before it can attack. During this time, water gushes in through the gaping maw left by Spahkreuzer, activating Normandie's powerful pump. The high-current pump is the last straw on batteries already worn down by a day of fighting, and the 30-knot titanic transport slows down to a 6-knot crawl. By the time it has lined up on the four distressed warships again and begun its inexorable charge, Normandie has a severe list to port. Spahkreuzer again charges in and forces Normandie's bow around, but this time it is too late to completely redirect the beastly bathtub. The two light cruisers are pushed clean out of the arena and disqualified. Normandie kicks into full reverse to avoid the same fate, but a slight tail wind and its great momentum prove insurmountable, and Normandie follows the two cruisers into the oblivion of disqualification.

10. Craig

Craig Active Member

Noice Carl. The Biz-cam made it's debut, several years ago with Curt's Bismarck. It went over well, there are a few very short videos, do you happen to have the video from Scharnnie, I'd like to see them. Funny, both ships were german. I was planning on doing that with the new Biz I'm building.

11. Kotori87

Have you seen my videos on youtube? In particular, Guncam contains the best footage that was captured from the the wireless camera. Most of it was just looking at open water, so not much was useable. See if you can spot Commander Walwyn on HMS Warspite (due to youtube's compression and the low resolution of the wireless camera, he's not much more than a small blue blob).

guncam: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpNEeYe1asY
    my other videos: http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=kotori87

12. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

OHH so that's what the blue blob was .. huh.

13. Craig

Craig Active Member

Saw him. It was blurry ... are there any chances that we can actually swap videos from the forum?

14. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

That would be a great idea. I would love to learn more about BIG GUN style.

15. JustinScott

JustinScott Well-Known Member

That sounds like a request for something? You want a multimedia page along with the photo gallery? or ??

16. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

What ever is easiest for you it works for me.

17. aroeske

aroeske Member

If you guys haven't seen it, the Outdoor Channel did a 30 minute show on Big Gun combat, with the North Texas Battle Group. Nothing like National Cable coverage. It gives a decent idea of Big Gun combat. And besides, you get to see Johns cool hat :)

Its in Season One available at Visit this site

Andy

18. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

They did one on one of our battles, too. The lady who "hosts" the show is a little air-headed, but it was a nice show. A friend Tivo'd it for me, and I made a load of DVDs for the club for promos, etc. I think the Big Guns show was quite a while before they got to our pond.

19. Kotori87

I would love to see those. The only broadcast model warship combat I've seen was almost 15 years old. They introduced a few of the WWCC captains, showed the ships sailing out, then substituted footage from Victory At Sea for the actual combat. Apparently the reporter got sunk :eek:

20. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

I need to find the DVDs, when I moved to school, I never unpacked them so they are lost, but not totally lost. When I find them I'll email you to get your address to send you one.