brand new

Discussion in 'Ship Comparison' started by usmc0331, Apr 18, 2012.

1. usmc0331

usmc0331 Member

hello all, so ive been into rc for about 20 years but ive always had cars, trucks, planes and helicopters. i really want to get into this hobby but i need a good beginning ship. ive been looking at the south dakota class from http://www.battlersconnection.com/html/southdakota.html and was hoping to get everyones opinion on it. im not sure what kind of fighting ill be doing either. im thinking fast guns or big guns. has anyone bought this kit before and can give me some details on it and some recommendations? any help would be appreciated. thanks

2. bear23462

bear23462 Active Member

I would determine what type of battling you are interested in. My local group is a Big Gun club so hence, I am building my first two ships for Big Gun Warfare. Currently I am working on an Iowa Class hull and the Arizona. My Arizona kit is from Strike Models http://www.strikemodels.com/products/ships/uss-arizona/ and it is a beautiful ship. The fiberglass hull is outstanding and the hardware and deck kits and superstructure are tailor made for the kit. It has been a joy to work on and I would definately recommend this kit to anyone.

3. usmc0331

usmc0331 Member

does it require fiberglass work? i mean do you have to cut it or shape any when you get it? are these your first two ships ever or just in big gun? im kinda looking at fast gun but i think id have a blast in either so right now im looking for a good solid ship thats relatively easy to build.

4. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

You will need to cut the 'windows' in the hull that we sheet over. You will need to cut openings for propshafts/stuffing tubes. All easily done with a dremel.
    SoDaks are an excellent choice for fast-gun. Fairly roomy inside, good gun layout, very competitive ship.

5. bear23462

bear23462 Active Member

Yes these are the first two ships that I am building. I have been around my group for about a year or so and was helping some of the guys with various electronic / mechanical work that was required for their ships. I decided that I want my own ships, so I planned the purchases that I wanted to make and with the help of the group found the best ships for me.
    The fiberglass work that you have to do is cut windows into the hull for your penetration areas. I have been using a dremel and it seems to work well. It makes a hell of a lot of fiber dust. Definately not an indoor job o_O .

6. gunsnrosesx

gunsnrosesx Member

Also you want to find a the best choice for fast gun or big gun by location what the closest club is using like rule set.

7. Renodemona

Renodemona Well-Known Member

South Dakota is a very good ship on the allied side, with triple stern guns and good turning. It is in the medium speed catagory for capital ships and has a lot of internal space for batteries and equipment. Some other equivalent ships on the Allied side (at least in building skill terms) would be North Carolina, Tennessee, Arizona, Maryland, or Queen Elizabeth. On the Axis side, some equivalents would be Baden, Konig, Scharnhorst, Fuso, Bismarck, or Littorio. Obviously these are all capital ships and are more complex. Most folks start with a more 'rookie' ship that is a little smaller and simpler to build right out of the gate, such as a cruiser or smaller battleship/battlecruiser. Some of the more popular ones are the Houston, Clevelend, Brooklyn, Des Moines, Lutzow, and Prinz Eugen classes for cruisers; Moltke, Von der Tann, Invincible, Lion, and Andrea Doria for small battleships/battlecruisers.

8. usmc0331

usmc0331 Member

thanks for all the input guys, ken i followed your advice and checked into the arizona and really liked what i saw. so i emailed stephen at strike models and he ended up calling me and spoke with me for 20-25 mins and answered all my n00b questions about the kit...hes a really helpful guy. anyways so ive ordered an arizona kit =DD ill prolly make a south dakota kit my second boat...so i dont know if its considered "laid down" or still in planning..but ill be starting work on my arizona very soon =)

9. bear23462

bear23462 Active Member

Stephen is a great guy, he was very helpful with my Arizona order and changed the hardware configuration to meet my needs for a big gun warship. I know you will be excited when your kit arrives. Perhaps this weekend I will post some pictures of the progress on my Arizona build.

10. usmc0331

usmc0331 Member

oh man id love some pics...im super excited already! =)

11. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

That Strike Models Arizona is a gorgeous hull. Very well made with the bulge. You are going to like that hull.

12. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

I was sorely tempted by the Arizona full kit (as I am by most of their offerings ;) ). I look forward to you guys' builds!

If only I'd won the lottery... I could've hired Mike M for a million a year to build all those boats for me :)