Brig Sloop, the meat and potateos ship....

Discussion in 'Age of Sail' started by SteveT44, Dec 20, 2011.

1. SteveT44

SteveT44 Well-Known Member

The brig sloop was the most numerous ship type in the British Navy in the Napoleonic era. The 110 ship Cruizer class was the largest ship class built by any navy. The Cruizers with their eighteen 32 pound cannonades had a heaver throw weight than many frigates mounting twice the amount of cannon.
    I think if I ever do build an AOS ship, it may well be a Brig Sloop.

10 gun Cherokee class
    [​IMG]
    Cruizer Class Lines Plan
    [​IMG]
    Cruizer model
    [​IMG]

A future AOS combat model?

2. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

I would be very interested to see the differences, both in cost and complexity of construction of the ship and in the sailing and fighting capabilities of the ship between a brig and a large frigate.

3. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Steve left out the most important aspect of the Cruizer class... S'PRETTY!!! Very pretty ships.

If one Clippard Maximatic can fire three barrels, it'd be very affordable in the hobby, too. I need to do some testing, mainly for Minerva to see how many solenoids I'll need, but I'll post the numbers for everyone. If one MaxiMatic can fire 3, you could do a Cruizer with a 3-cannon broadside easy :)

4. SteveT44

SteveT44 Well-Known Member

Can you fire multiple fastguns from a single solenoid? I'd think that a gun firing slightly before the others would depressurize the other guns in the loop.

5. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

I thought that, too, but someone (forget who) asked or suggested that more than one could be done. With the Maximatic's higher flow (than a MAV-2), I'm willing to bench-test it. After all, it'll only take changing some plumbing on one of my fast-gun ships to test. If it's a bust, we have data in hand verifying the conventional wisdom, and I'm not out any money. :)

I'm in the ER tomorrow, so it'll likely be Saturday before I get out in the shop to work on boat stuff.

6. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

EDIT: never mind ... flawed logic.