British Dreadnoughts

Discussion in 'Ship Comparison' started by U.S.S. Arazona, Dec 17, 2013.

1. U.S.S. Arazona

U.S.S. Arazona Active Member

With a local club opening up, I'm able to start battling this next year. Looking through the MWC ship list, I found two british ships, the QE and the Iron Duke, one of which I would like to build. I'm wondering if there's a big difference battle-wise, or if the difference is mostly negligable. Also, how difficult would it be to scratch-build the QE? I remember someone was making fiberglass hulls for them at some point, but I can't remember if they still are or not. Thanks in advance for any advice you all could give me:).

2. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

Though I don't have any battling experience as of this moment, I would think that they would perform pretty much the same. Both have 4 props and 2 rudders, 26 sec. to a hundred ft. QE does have a extra half unit though. I would imagine building a QE would be fairly difficult considering she has the two bulges. Check out Tuggy's Malaya build, and VVaholic's QE build for an idea on how hard they are to build.
    I know that most people don't usually recommend battleships as first ships. Cruisers and battlecruisers are the best starters.

Beaver

3. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

For scratchbuilding, if you want to go British, Invincible or Lion are nice. Invincible is slower but turns better, and vice versa for Lion. But both have nice smooth sides so they are easy to build and easy to sheet.

4. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

Scratch building opens up a lot of possibilities. It would be a good time to look at some of the lesser known ships such as the Orion. Even the HMS Dreadnought hasn't been built as far as I know. Having a unique ship on the water is kinda fun. :)

5. Bob Pottle

Bob Pottle Well-Known Member

Fiberglass hulls are available for both ships. Battler's Connection sells the Iron Duke and Ralph Coles sells hulls for the rebuilt Valiant and QE in WWII. He had a mold suitable for the entire QE class in the 1930s post-bulging, but I don't know if he still sells those hulls. Contact him at ralphster30@hotmail.com.
    Don't be concerned about sheeting bulges - I've sheeted and resheeted several bulged hulls (Hood, Warspite, Kent, Canarias, Gorgon, Terror, Roberts) - just sheet one panel between ribs at a time.
    Re other potential 5 unit British battleships, Ralph confirmed last night that he's going to make a mould for HMS Agincourt (5.5 units, 7 main turrets). He's got the plans and will likely start the project in January. I plan to start the hull plug for HMS Royal Oak (5.5 units) in mid-2014 after I finish the Frobisher and Java Class cruisers hulls. I considered the KG V (WWI) and Orion Classes but wondered who would buy the hulls when you can build a model a couple of inches longer and get higher speed +/- another 1/2 combat unit?

6. GeekSpeed

GeekSpeed Active Member

I would love to build a Brit pig-boat. HMS Neptune looks like fun.

Hey, Tug, weren't you gonna look to see if you had plans for that and the USS Delaware or Utah?

7. Tugboat

I don't have them:( Thought I sent you an email, sowwy! :(

8. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

Pity, I have always had a fondness for the Delawares. HMS Neptune is a nice one too.

9. Bob Pottle

I was planning to do a hull for HMS Dreadnought and the Bellerophon Class before Royal Oak, having the Anatomy of the Ship book/plans for Dreadnought. However, I've been told there is already an HMS Dreaadnought/Bellerophon hull plug under construction.
    If there was enough interest to warrant the effort I'd do a Neptune plug before Royal Oak (I dread doing casemates). Neptune is a slightly longer (by about 5%) version of Dreadnought, so can be built using the Dreadnought cross-sections spaced a little further apart.

10. U.S.S. Arazona

I have a couple of questions. For a slugging ship, does the difference between a 26 and a 28 second ship matter a lot? I've mostly been looking at 26 second ships, but if the speed doesn't affect it a whole lot, then that would open up my options. Same with a one unit difference, ie. 4 units vs 5 units, does it affect a ship that much? I'm mostly looking for a 4-5 unit slugging ship. I like the I-boat and Lion and pretty much all the ships:blush: I will say I would prefer an allied ship, but could almost as easily to go Axis:)

11. Tugboat

It depends. At local battles, not so much apart from the faster boats that don't want to fight you and a faster teammate together will use their speed to try and break you apart. At a Nats-size battle, if you're a slow boat ina fast fleet, you may find yourself alone or with a small group and can get overwhelmed. That said, choke points like under bridges are natural places to find the slow boats, and fast boats go into the tight spaces at their peril. I've done most of my battling at speed 26, but in speed 28 boats I've never wanted for dance partners :) But I definitely use my 2 second speed advantage to adjust my tactical situation!

12. GeekSpeed

GeekSpeed Active Member

Tug, no worries, kind sir. Thanks for checking.

13. Bob Pottle

I built one 4.0 unit battleship: SNS Espana. At the time (1998-2000) there were no other 28 sec ships in the NABS fleet. Espana has a lot of impenetrable area and turns well so after the first few battles no opponents would come near it. After spending two seasons chasing faster opponents I built the Warspite (5.5 umits, 26 sec), and the Canarias (3.0 units, 24 sec) and had much more fun with them.

14. U.S.S. Arazona

There are several 28 second ships built/ being built localy, so I shouldn't be lonely if I build one as well. What are your thoughts on the Baden or the Westfallen? I've not heard much about either.