Build question [?]

Discussion in 'Construction' started by Powder Monkey, Mar 1, 2008.

1. Powder Monkey

Powder Monkey Active Member

Building a Baltimore class hull. I'm having a hard time figuring the Skeg on the bottom the stern where it starts to lift up [:I]
    The model I have shows it as a thin skeg type but other models of similar ships are big round humps the plans don’t really show me which way it should be. So I’m looking for some input maybe a picture or two
    Thanks

Picture081.jpg

Picture079.jpg

Picture064.jpg

you can check out full build post below
    Visit this site

2. JohnmCA72

JohnmCA72 Member

I built one several years ago. I put in the skeg as drawn - basically, just keel, extended out beyond where the hull bottom starts to come up for prop. clearance. I documented my build in a multi-part article series at Visit this site

Some photos of the class here (didn't see anything that would answer your specific question):

Visit this site
    Visit this site

Is that a Wisswesser plan? That's what I had when I built mine. Check it out VERY thoroughly if that's what you've got! By that I mean, check out various dimensions/points/lines between different views, as well as different parts of the same view. Absolutely horrible, as far as accuracy is concerned! Lots of "executive decisions" (i.e. corrections based on other information sources) to make because of things that can't work/fit exactly as drawn. In particular, he got the stern very, very wrong (as can be seen clearly from several of the photos in that Navy link, above).

JM

3. Powder Monkey

No the plans are from George (The Plans Master) Goff they seam to be quite excellent.
    As for the skeg you are saying it basically there to protect the props from damage while going over submerged axis ships on there way to see Davey Jones thanks for the info
    FE

4. JohnmCA72

JohnmCA72 Member

I'm not saying what it's there for, just that it's there. I checked Friedman's US CRUISERS AN ILLUSTRATED DESIGN HISTORY book, thinking he might have included a photo of something's back-end in drydock - no such luck. Plenty of line drawings of various US cruiser classes, & all have that skeg going back into the 1920s, at least. Any drydock photo you can find, of any class USN cruiser later than WWI should show you all you'd ever want. If the skeg's not structural (i.e. to help keep the hull stiff in that area where it curves upward) then it's probably there for waterflow; to help keep the ship going straight.

Probably not going to help much as prop. protection; you'll scrape one side or the other as you go over, anyway. Best to keep a little distance, lest you get sucked down with 'em!

JM

5. Powder Monkey

LOL Thanks i'll keep that in mind.
    I'm looking at some of the links you sent me where exactly is your build ?

6. Buddy

Buddy Active Member

Hi In my book us Cruisers it has one of the Balitmores in dry dock after a torpedo hit and you can just barely see it. In that pic it looks a like a thin wall. Hope that helps. That is how I built mine.

7. Powder Monkey

Great I’d love to see that, do you know who the author is? Or any way you can send me a pic

8. JohnmCA72

JohnmCA72 Member

Visit this site, look in the "How To Articles" section; there's a 6-part series.

JM

9. Powder Monkey

Found it thanks nice work

10. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

The US Cruisers book is the one by Friedman, published by Naval Institute Press.

11. Powder Monkey

12. Powder Monkey

buddy haveing a hard time tracking that book down any chance youi can send me the pic thanks

13. Powder Monkey

Anyone! Having a hard time tracking that book down any chance you can post me the picture mentioned above thanks

14. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw/104-6003428-0805560?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=US+Cruisers&x=0&y=0

It's pricey, but it's there if you're interested.

I may pick up a copy in the future since US WW2 cruisers are my favorite group of ships, but not getting it right now.

15. Powder Monkey

Yup me to however that is a set of guns at this point in the game just would like to see that one picture for now so i can add my skeg

16. Tugboat

Heh. The only way I afforded that one was to have it given to me for Christmas :)

17. Powder Monkey

That Dam lawyer chick I bet hey I know will fight with her if she sends me one as a late Easter present [;)]

18. Tugboat

Find yer own sugar momma ;)

19. Powder Monkey

[:(] didn't your mom teach you to share [^]

20. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

I knew I shouldn't have gone looking on Amazon :/ I now have German Battlecruisers 1914-1918, British Battlecruisers 1914-1918 and British Battlecrusiers 1939-1945 coming. Yes, I'm a battlecruiser fan, what can I say?