Build Session Held 1/29/2012

Discussion in 'Southeast Attack Squadron' started by Tugboat, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

The Kotoris, Willis (one of their classmates who is joining the hobby as a noble Axis knight of the sea), Brian K, and I had a build session in my shop today. Great fun was had by all, and we even got some boat work done. Eric got his I-boat worked on some, established his laden waterline, and got ready to cut windows. It was my first opportunity to see Strike's precut deck kit for Invincible, and it was NICE! Willis scoped out his new (to him) DKM Scharnhorst, and got a motor and a lot of advice. The Kotoris and Mike Butts (whether he knows it yet or not) will be helping Willis get his Scharnie ready for action. Brian worked on his son's Bayern, and on his own Iron Duke (HMS Empress of India). I removed all the balsa from the hull of Badenlicious, and dremelled the height of the casement deck down to 1/4". The armor belt is so close there, that the stringer is right under the 1/8" casement deck. So I sanded 1/8" off the bottom of the formerly 3/8" high section, and hand-sanded the hull surface preparatory to resheeting next weekend. I also waterproofed the new TD cards, and soldered leads and power lines to them (not in that order), got my Clippard big solenoids mounted and plumbed, and found a few BBs hiding in the water channeling. Also removed the pump to install a new motor. Old one was getting iffy, and sounded bad.
    All in all, a very productive day. Out first battle is in 2 weeks, so I need to get the lead out. Brian is coming over to help with wiring issues on Wednesday, and resheeting and gunnery trials will be next weekend, and we'll probably do some boat driving in the pool and see how the pump does with the new motor.

2. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

-Sigh- I wish I had time for such productive activity. Two theses to proofread and two articles to write. All the while the unfinished hulls sobs quietly in the corner.