Build session this weekend (10/11)

Discussion in 'Southeast Attack Squadron' started by Tugboat, Oct 8, 2009.

1. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Hey! This Sunday 11 October, we will be gathering for boat-buildy type fun and WW2 movies on Pete's TV in my shop in Statesboro. Anone who wants to come by and work or shoot the breeze is welcome; focus will be getting ships ready for the October battle in Sanford, FL. Zack, bring your boat so we can work on it, too!

The shop will be open all day, but don't get there before 10AM o_O

2. Ragresen

Ragresen Member

Wish I was not working that night. Guys have a blast.

3. Tugboat

If you want to come play on Saturday, I'll be in the shop all day getting my PDN ready for the October battle in FL... You can even gaze in awe at the little muffin-mag cannon Brian gave me for Evstafi.

4. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

Tuggy, any way you can snap a spy pic of that muffin cannon and smuggle it through email to me? ;)

5. Tugboat

I'll take some pics tomorrow as I'm working. If the 'sidemounts on predreads' rule passes, it'll make a nice haymaker. If not, well, heck... I can always use a stern gun in a furball. You gonna make it south for the Oct battle?

6. mike5334

Not going to make the October or November battles. I should be moving into a house this coming week, and my wife arrives from Korea in November.

Tomorrow though, I'm heading to a 1/96 scale model ship event to snap pictures and survey the pond for possible future battles. :)

7. Ragresen

Ragresen Member

Mike great to hear ya back stateside. Where ya ending up for a while?

8. Tugboat

Well, we had our build session. I determined shortly before everyone arrived that Evstafi is not legal per MWC rules and that it would require excessive effort to make her comply. So we spent the build session (among other things) refitting the KGV hull that Pete D gave me months ago. Due to financial constrains, we had to use stuff we had on hand. The only battleship-class batteries that I have laying around are 12V 18AH batteries, so it has to be 12V. Testing my pumps reveals that they are NOT happy at the RPM tht 12V drives. (lots of black carbon stuff in the water when tested). So to drop the voltage across the pump, we decided to run TWO pumps in series. One Swampworks one that was in my old I-boat and one of Gregs that was in Evstafi. The two drive motors are in series to drop the voltage as well. Brian K loaned me two sets of dogbones, and Pete D gave a pair of 2" props. I got the wiring mostly done, using those little microservos that came with the Spektrum radio (so tiny I'd given up using them for anything) to run the MAG throttle and pump switch. Thank God the hull still had the stuffing tubes! BB cannons were scavenged from 3 ships for my quad sterns and still need to be fitted. I'll play it like a great big cruiser with 2 pumps. I'll spend winter figuring out what to do for Nats. Build another Evstafi, re-refit the Duke of York (KGV), build the Missouri I'm geting from Greg, or build the Baden I'm getting from Strike. Or build something else and make lots of sawdust.

Sigh.

9. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

Check you email for some Glorious People's Revolutionary Plans! Evstafi will be missed. The thought of matched predreads was a great one.

J.

10. Tugboat

That is still a possibility. Also a possibility of Arkhangelsk, thanks to the generosity of a Canadian brother in arms, who provided plans and pictures.

11. Anachronus

Two pumps should make that DoY a tough nut to sink.

12. mike5334

Clark, what is wrong with the Evstafi?

I ended up at Seymour Johnson AFB in Goldsboro NC. :)

13. Tugboat

I'd be shocked if it can be sunk at a regional. Even if it is, the quad sterns will make someone have a bad day before she sinks.

14. Tugboat

I'd be shocked if it can be sunk at a regional. Even if it is, the quad sterns will make someone have a bad day before she sinks.

15. Anachronus

16. Tugboat

Mike, some of what I was thinking was superstructure was supposed to be penetrable hull. Would not have affected the battle it took part in, as it's all above what was there, but it's still not legal. To fix it, I'd have to cut off the deck and subdeck, put in a 1/8" stringer to the next level of casements, and then add the casements and a new deck and subdeck. I may attempt it, but not before the next battle. Maybe not till much later, still pissed at myself. I'm striving to get the Duke of York refitted for this weekend. I have pump and drives, and Brian patched the hull, so if nothing else, I have convoy ship that's speed 24 with 2 pumps. I will be using the VEX Robotix transmitter with my Futaba receiver on Ch.85, just to be funky.

Over the winter, I may refit Effie, depends on what tools I pick up between now and then. I would hate for James to run around by himself in Izzie. It has occurred to me since last night that if I go buy the fancy wood-cutting wheel, I could trace the deck outline on a piece of 1/8" ply(for the stringer), then cut the stuff from between the ribs and install the stringer, and proceed from there to add the upper casements. Perhaps the Glorious Revolution(tm) is not yet dead!

17. mike5334

I understand. Pre-Dreads can be kinda tricky that way. I spent a long evening going over the plans to the Verite this past weekend. It took lots of studying of plans and pictures as well as some creative visualization to figure out the casement layouts. I'm sure I got it, but won't know for certain until I start framing up the ship.

Glad you figured out a way to salvage the ship. Sometimes all one needs is a short break and a fresh look at the problem to come up with a workable solution. I hope to see the Evstafi back on the water again!

18. Tugboat

:laugh:Me, too. I'm just glad that I didn't get J's Izzie epoxied together yet... it'll make the rework on that less odious. I just don't want to have a ship on the water that I know is illegal, even if it's just a bit.

Also helps that I did a 1/144 one before a 1/96 one...

19. mike5334

Heh. Speaking of 1/96, I'm going to build a 1/96 Verite alongside the 1/144 version. Two hulls of the same ship at the same time but diffrent sizes. Yes, I know I keep changing my mind about while Battlestations ship to build, but I'm sure this is what I want to go with for the first ship. Besides, this will be the first Predread in Battlestations. ;)

20. Tugboat

You sure?