Build Thread Prefixes

Discussion in 'General' started by Beaver, Mar 2, 2017.

?

Should the build threads have prefixes to better distinguish if the build was completed?

1. Yes

5 vote(s)
    62.5%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. Don't care

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

Hello everyone,
    I'm posting this poll to see if there is popular support for prefixes on build threads. These would tell whether the build was completed, in progress, or never completed. This would allow the build thread area to be more easily navigated, especially if one is trying to find completed builds for reference.
    I've volunteered to go through the old threads and put the proper prefixes on the old threads if the community is supportive of the idea.

2. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

I'd vote for "love the idea, no idea how to actually implement it short of manual moderator adjustment of thread" or maybe something along the lines of [complete] , [significant useful information], etc...

3. Beaver

The plan was to use a prefix like the 'Buy,Sell,Trade' subforum.

4. Lou

Lou It's just toy boats -->> C T D <<-- Admiral (Supporter)

Will it be depressing to see the number that are not completed?

5. irnuke

irnuke -->> C T D <<--

Lol, or a "well, it seemed like a good idea at the time" (like my quad stern Baden)

6. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

I'd leave it up to the thread owner. Modifying other people's threads doesn't sit right.

Even non complete builds can have useful info/ideas/pictures.

I'd much rather have threads get locked automatically after some time (1-2 years) of inactivity to cut down on the thread necromancers we have. Mods could always unlock it again if it's actually necessary.

7. Beaver

Really the main idea here is to mark builds that were completed, mark other threads that have useful info, but weren't completed, and to also mark the many builds that never transpired into anything.
    Any builds that had building activity within the last 1-2 years would have a 'in progress' prefix.
    I think this would turn the build thread subforum into a much better catilog of building information. The ability for someone getting into the hobby being able to find every completed build without having to root through the tons of threads seems like a asset to me.

8. Lou

Lou It's just toy boats -->> C T D <<-- Admiral (Supporter)

Why not a new subforum so that complete builds could be moved there? No other listings. In the modeling sites they have "under construction" and "complete"

9. KeriMorgret

KeriMorgret Facilitator RCWC Staff Vendor

Would prefixes indicating scratch-build, laser-cut, and fiberglass be helpful?

Sethie likes this.
  10. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

I kinda like the subforum option. Ones that people consider particularly useful can be moved into said subforum (or maybe have them appear in two places but be one thread Nick????)

I also am looking at how to release teh Deutsland build instructions in thread form. I like the idea as anyone with questions can get me to update the instructions for everyone, but I am not sure how to manage it.

_Greg

11. Beaver

I like the subforum idea if that would be easier. I'm just after a way to centralize all the good building info we have into a usable place. Whether that's being able to view all threads with [completed] or [Useful Info] prefixes, or having a separate subforum. There is a wealth of knowledge here, but a lot of it has been buried over the years. I think it's time a lot of it be brought to light.