Building tips and techniques.

Discussion in 'Construction' started by rcaircraftnut, May 22, 2020.

1. rcaircraftnut

rcaircraftnut Well-Known Member

I just came to realize that it's actually quite difficult to find general building knowledge for the prospective new modeler. I mean I myself got most of my knowledge by building with guys who were old enough to be my dad or granddad at the time. No internet. Man we even had a party line at Papa's for a year or two when I was little. But now we can make all this knowledge permanent and put it where it can easily be found.

I know there are guys out there way better at explaining things online than I am.

So would you guys think it a good idea to make a thread where we can all post tips and tricks of a general nature geared towards the beginning to medium knowledge modeler? I think it could be a great resource for everyone.

2. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

There are a few well documented stem to stern build threads,. More of them would help

3. Kevin P.

Kevin P. Well-Known Member

I’ve started working on build guides, documents outlining the various decision points and steps. (Topics I have are getting started, ship selection, build sequence overview, propulsion, pumps, electronics, hull and deck, co2 systems, finishing touches, battle prep, maintenance, maybe a few more). The build threads can be good but the level of detail varies so it can be hard to pick out useful ones. Sounds like what you’re thinking about is a bit more basic, there’s a lot of stuff on YouTube now a days so maybe just pulling together a good set of videos

rcaircraftnut likes this.
  4. rcaircraftnut

Just something that would help point newbies in the rite direction that could be stickied somewhere easy to find. It's just that we don't always see the opportunity to help until after it's over. Lol.

5. GregMcFadden

it's really easy to sticky things so if you see posts or make them their warrant it, let Nick or me know

6. Anvil_x

Anvil_x Well-Known Member

That Bearn build that got stickied was a fantastic move for helping me get the basics of wood hull construction, but I've been seeing some really cool stuff coming out on the FB page, like that one dude that sheets the hard area with basswood, and then casts it with featherlite. That is SLICK.

So, perhaps instead of the standard build thread... you guys know that "Anatomy of a fast gun cannon"? maybe something like that, on a particular step in the process.

Like, Say for example, @Beaver 's technique for belt-driving. he could do a how-to thread with a step-by step where he explains both the mechanics and the philosophy behind what he's doing, with helpful links. maybe he could do one for those nifty guns he copied from Steve.

Another dude could show how he uses yoga mats to make water channeling in a Fiberglass hull.
    I could show how I use sugar maple boards to make durable stringers.

Small picture stuff that gets the ball rolling. you guys are totally on the ball--the build threads are great, but heck, my texas build thread is thirty some pages of *BYZANTINE* crap with like maybe a third of it directly applicable to the beginning builder (but it's up to that beginner to decide what's important--eeek!!!). Once a crop of the small picture stuff gets populated, then it could be possible to do a bigger-picture "here's how you build a boat" with helpful links to helpful threads for every step.

I dunno. maybe I'm way too into details. Maybe it's all this delicious beer I've been pounding down this evening.

rcaircraftnut likes this.
  7. GregMcFadden

8. rcaircraftnut

Pretty much what I was thinking. See I told you guys others could explain it better. Lol.

9. Mark41

Mark41 Active Member

Tom Tanner had an excellent site on the SMS Lutzow/ Hindenberg that helped me build my first ship. Not sure where to find the link tho??

10. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

11. Mark41

Mark41 Active Member

Thanks Nick
    I hope it helps others to understand how to build combat ships.

12. NASAAN101

NASAAN101 Well-Known Member

Whats the trick to doing the props and Rudders:)
    Nikki

darkapollo likes this.
  13. Brandon B

Brandon B Member

I'm late getting into this thread, but this is a GREAT idea. I'm currently day dreaming about taking a crack at my first build. The Bearn thread is a great start, and I've read through it, but he talks about using that Rib Calc program whose link seems to be broken, and a search here doesn't bring anything up. Anyway, all that's to say, a threat that discusses various building techniques I think is a GREAT idea.

14. PushkinPrior

PushkinPrior Member

Here’s a good rib calculator, from the IRCWCC website: http://ircwcc.com/main/rib-calculator/

Hope this helps!

Brandon B likes this.
  15. Xanthar

Xanthar Well-Known Member

Seems like there's a typo or something? Choosing the 3/16" radio button gives one results for 3/8".

16. Brandon B

Brandon B Member

Yeah I actually haven't gotten it to work for me yet... keeps crashing my web browser.

17. Kevin P.

Kevin P. Well-Known Member

The video I made on cutting ribs covers calculating rib spacing within the first few minutes (in the building warships videos thread). There’s a typo in on that page of the website. Not sure who made the calculator but fixing it was beyond the options with current website

18. Lou

Lou It's just toy boats -->> C T D <<-- Admiral (Supporter)

19. darkapollo

darkapollo Well-Known Member

Adding to this.

searching the forums shows old threads from 2007-2010 RCUniverse era with all of the picture links broken and zero description that makes sense without the images.
    I finally found my phantom leak and my vibration issue and need to replace my prop setup. Searching how to build a proper prop shaft stuffing tube gives little actual help.

20. Xanthar

Xanthar Well-Known Member

Check out the ones from Vac-u-boat. (http://www.vac-u-boat.com/KitsParts.htm) I've used the ones from their Fletcher Kit and they are great.
    The description for item M134 is sufficient for DIY : "Stern Tube with Stainless Shaft. Thick-wall six-inch brass Stern Tube with Oilite® Sleeve Bearings pressed into each end and honed to fit the included 1/8" diameter stainless steel shaft. Shaft is 8" long with approximately 3/4" threaded 6-32 on one end. Prop Shaft is the same as used in the Vac-U-Cracker and Vac-U-Vee Jr. The Outer Diameter of the 6-32 threads has been reduced to 1/8" so the shaft will fit metal and plastic 1/8" props."
    They sell the bushings too "1/8 Inch Oilite® Flange Bearings. Bronze, self-lubricating, for 1/8" shaft. 1/8" ID x 1/4" OD x 3/8" Long with 5/16" Flange. Inside diameter will be reduced slightly if you press-fit them into a metal tube. Actual .1260" ID x .2520" OD." is item M106. Fill the tube with grease of your choice and slide the shaft in, super easy.

diceman42 and darkapollo like this.