Bulkheads - Compartment Flooding

Discussion in 'Research and Development' started by Quintanius, Jul 21, 2012.

1. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

The interference is much less of an issue with the brushless motors; no sparking in the brush riggng to generate noise. since there's no brushes :)

2. Quintanius

Quintanius Member

Back to Bulkheads: do people create a seperate compartment for the bow half of the ship and place a pump near the end of it, ie near the center, to remove any water that before to runs all the way to the stern and thus have the stern be heavier and sinking? Not sure if that makes sense - but I think the water flows toward the stern when the ship is under way.

One more thought: I see the pump discharges mostly spouting vertically - why not horizontally?

Thank you

Thomas

3. Tugboat

No, no one really makes a compartment, because it's not allowed in the rules of most clubs. Also, in scale, the boats are small enough to not need a compartment.

Some pumps go vertically, some go horizontally, and at least one armoured cruiser (ahem!) exits the ship at a 45 degree angle, giving all and sundry a much-needed bath. You probably see more vertical pump sprays because the horizontal ones don't really stand out.

4. Quintanius

Quintanius Member

Aha - did not think on that. I like the "not stand out" part of that. Thanks. All I could find in some rules was that they say that they should not spray the players...that was amazingly ambigious. Cheers,
    Thomas

5. Lou

Lou It's just toy boats -->> C T D <<-- Admiral (Supporter)

In my ship the pump outlet was vertical. What I found is when the ship had two inches of freeboard left and I turned on the pump the force of the stream pushed that side underwater. Makes a difference when you are on "five". I have since switched to horizontal.

6. Tugboat

If the pump outlet isn't centerline, I would definitely mount it horizontal, so as not to induce a rolling moment when the pump kicks on.

7. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

Well I think up to a point he does have the right idea I do electrical work on cars. However if you want to compartmentalize a ship then I think it's only fair that only big gun ships should have as they are properly called bulkheads. Moreover if adding bulkheads is going to become a standard it's only fair that they should have bulkhead doors and that inside each bulkhead there should be a center pump scaled down to match the compartment size and have a pump capacity to half way above the water line or two pumps on either side of each compartment with the same capacity as the single center pump. However there should be switch so that both pumps cannot run at the same time (the other is a secondary pump incase the primary is damaged and doesn't pump any more). Also the wiring for all systems should be mounted to the decks and strictly on the sides so that the subdecks can still be accessed however as a tradeoff I don't think it's fair to compartmentalize a ship and still allow blast shields to be put inside the ship the only blast shields I would allow to placed inside are shields that would protect the single centerline pumps. The idea is that ship is harder to sink but when it starts to flood it settles more realistically than a non compartmentalized ship

8. Lou

Lou It's just toy boats -->> C T D <<-- Admiral (Supporter)

Most rule sets don't allow compartments, so no worries.

9. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

I thought about that but it was just an idea.