Bulkheads? to convert combat to non-combatm

Discussion in 'General' started by wdodge0912, Apr 22, 2020.

1. wdodge0912

wdodge0912 Well-Known Member

The idea has probably been tossed out there, but Im not sure I'm asking the right questions to find it.

Anyways, after seeing a few convoy ships being built, it has given me an idea for one. Is.it.possie with as little engineering as possible, to have some kind of panel that could be dropped in to make a convoy ship be impenetrable, tonat least where it quits taking in water?

Now I'm not saying making a convoy ship that cant sink and taking it out to a battle (at that point why even bother cutting windows) but building a ship that can pull double duty; a convoy ship for battle, and then a model to play on the lakeshore with.

Would probably be a good idea to have 2 entirely different decks and superstructures for it, one for modeling and one for combat. But at least that way it saves a bit of money, and gives the convoy ship more usage. Because let's face it, how many times does a convoy ship really get used, lol

2. Lou

Lou It's just toy boats -->> C T D <<-- Admiral (Supporter)

Put foam blocks in the hull, won't sink.

3. rcaircraftnut

rcaircraftnut Well-Known Member

And actually it's quite fun and challenging to succeed at operating a convoy ship. You'd be surprised to see how much battle time Mark's little Golo gets.

Nibbles1 and acomputerdog like this.
  4. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

the panel won’t fix the fact that you have balsa on the sides. It would be hard to make a drop in panel waterproof.

it would be easier to add a pump that you can take out or unplug when on convoy duty.

I drove my convoy around H &H ranch all the time when we were practicing. I set the speed to like 15sec/100 and wow did it plane up and drove like a speed boat. I just had to be careful and watch the waterline and empty water from time to time.

5. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Pumps are almost certainly the way to go with this. Big Gun transports use them all the time. It'll keep your ship afloat even if you miss a hole or two or four, and you don't even need a high-powered pump. You'd be surprised how much water you can move with just an amp or two of current when you don't have to push it through a restrictor.

6. wdodge0912

foam blocks and a pump then sounds like the winning choice. remove the foam and unplug the pump, got myself a convoy ship. only reason I was thinking a panel was to back the balsa so if it got poked accidentally, it would kind of help out with not being punctured.

7. rcaircraftnut

If you can get through an entire weekend of battle's with only one ship and not reskin it your doing good. I've actually never re skinned my Scharnhorst and it is way overdo. Lol. I think it may have as much silkspan as balsa now lol. Point is if I can go en entire season of battle with a pocket battleship, living in an 18 wheeler at the time, moving the boat every morning from the dash to the bed and every evening from the bed to the dash for over a year, and NOT put my fingers through the skin a single time, it's really a non issue. Been in storage for the last year and I looked at it yesterday and didn't note any reason it wouldn't float and run with just a charge.

8. rcaircraftnut

But I'm still going to fit it and fix a few issues it had last time it was on the water and replace some superstructure bits that got blasted then resheet it and paint it anyways. Since it's my primary ship it needs to be in too shape.

9. wdodge0912

It's more so if it gets manhandled while on the yearly family vacation/get together. They rent a cabin on a lake and the wife's whole family gets together for the 2 weeks.

rcaircraftnut likes this.