Buying a bandsaw

Discussion in 'Construction' started by Kotori87, Oct 16, 2016.

1. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

One tip I can provide on bandsaws. when I got my first one, I could not figure out why it did not cut worth anything. it veered hard one way on all cuts and was generally vile.

Moved not long after and boxed it up. got it back out a few years later and found the problem. The blade was not sharp on one side. a new blade and the thing cuts great for what it is.

2. dietzer

dietzer Admiral (Supporter)

That's pretty cool how you got all that to fit on 1 cart. I must admit, I've never seen a belt sander in that position before. :)

One bit of advice: all that stuff on one cart will make the cart rather top heavy. I'd strongly recommend that you put at least 50-100 lbs of weight on that lower shelf so it won't tip over as easily.

3. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

The bandsaw seems to cut pretty straight so far, I cut a bunch of planks up today and they are remarkably straight. No idea how well it will track around curves yet, though. If it does have problems, I also have several other blades from a different manufacturer to try.

I put the belt sander up like that because I wondered if I could, and I've been too lazy to put it back down :eek:

I have stacked several heavy objects underneath the cart, but I am still worried about its top-heaviness. It is fairly stable right now due to its width, but I am on the lookout for other heavy objects to add below. Maybe an air compressor or something for cannon testing....

4. dietzer

dietzer Admiral (Supporter)

From the looks of it, you could fill the bottom tray/shelf with 1 bag (50 lbs) of construction sand and put plywood on top of it to seal it and thus still have a bottom shelf. This adds weight down low, you only lose a little height between the upper shelf and the plywood shelf, and you can still put heavy items on top of the plywood shelf to help even more with the stability.

i added sand like this inside the bottom shelf of my 30"x80" workbench, and you wouldn't believe how much more stable it made it...

5. SteveT44

SteveT44 Well-Known Member

That cart looks a bit flimsy. I'd box three sides with 1/4" ply to stiffen it up.

6. pigeonfarmboy

pigeonfarmboy Well-Known Member

Just wanted to share an option for a shop bandsaw solution. I already had the Milwaukee Portaband and a buddy sent me a link to the Swag Offroad table one day. My saw has been permanently mounted to the table ever since! I wish the throat depth was bigger but even when I had a full-size in my shop I said the same thing.

Attached Files:

Beaver likes this.