CAD Model for an I-Boat Hull

Discussion in 'Digital Design and Fabrication' started by Xanthar, Aug 10, 2022.

1. Lord Haw Haw

Lord Haw Haw Member

2. Xanthar

Xanthar Well-Known Member

I guess that depends on how many people would want one?

Last edited: Oct 26, 2022
    vicious p likes this.
  3. Xanthar

The keel and ribs fit on an E size sheet. The deck pieces should also.

IMG_20221107_105540143.jpg

wfirebaugh and vicious p like this.
  4. Xanthar

My original goal was to get to the point where I could offer an inexpensive laser cut hull kit and I feel like I've achieved that but, I'm not getting a lot of interest in it here so, I probably shouldn't invest anymore time. It seems that at least a few people would want a 3DP Invincible hull where the windows are already present. Who would be willing to vote with their dollars at say $200+shipping for the physical parts with the idea that once some number of them had been sold, the print files would be open sourced?

Last edited: Nov 17, 2022
    Lord Haw Haw and darkapollo like this.
  5. vicious p

vicious p Well-Known Member

Are we talking just the hull itself or hull with deck and superstructure? I’m interested.

6. Xanthar

For now, just the hull. A cnc cut deck may come later. I've printed a 2d cutting template that I'll be testing out soon.

Lord Haw Haw likes this.
  7. Nomercy

Nomercy Well-Known Member

Bit pricy if ya ask me

8. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

For that price I'd expect decks, turrets, superstructure, etc.

The cost in material is maybe $30? For a hull the size of an I-boat?

This is key. There is a reason why I haven't sold any of my 3d printed designs. I'm not going to take your money and then have your boat snap in half because I didn't test it in our usage conditions.

Not great business to sell an untested product to people who may have no idea of what they're doing/getting themselves in to.

Beaver and Justin Ragucci like this.
  9. Xanthar

LOL! Way to over-react. I've not taken anyone's money, I'm asking if there is interest. The materials are a bit more than $30 and I think you know how many hours go into designing the parts? It will not snap in half and, if I can find someone with a positive attitude, it will be tested.
    Strike's bare hull was $140 pre-covid. Preformed windows will save a newbie hours of work and avoid having to deal with fiberglass dust.

10. Xanthar

OK. That's at least useful feedback. How much would you pay?

11. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

I didn't say that you took anyone's money, I said that I wouldn't without testing. Not sure why you're inferring this meaning that wasn't implied. I'm not sure who's over-reacting here, I'm not the one editing his posts over and over.

Yes, pre-cut windows will definitely save newbies a ton of time.

3d printed hulls handling large impact forces (aka getting rammed by a Nagatos at nationals) has been a concern ever since my first pre-production cruiser kit hit the water. To this day, after 2 full battle seasons on that prototype cruiser kit (which was subsequently lost in battle, else it would be 3+ seasons), I can't 100% promise that a 3d printed ship would survive that sort of abuse. Not sure how you can be so confident.

And for the record, I mean battle seasons. Not sitting on a shelf, once in a while cruising around a lake, seasons. I mean actively being used in IRCWCC combat. Present on a score sheet battle seasons.

For a bare hull, I'd expect to pay $100. For $140+ I'd expect superstructure, turrets, decks, etc.

Nomercy likes this.
  12. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

Without proven long term survivability and durability of a printed hull...not very much.

Panzer, Justin Ragucci and Kevin P. like this.
  13. Xanthar

That's all the info I needed. Thank you.

14. Xanthar

Could you humor me and toss out a dollar amount?

15. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

Not a problem. I can see you are taking the valuable parts of the information to heart.

16. Nomercy

Not 200.

17. Nomercy

Probably 125-140. With SS and turrets

18. Kevin P.

Kevin P. Well-Known Member

Since you don't battle and it's a first design, I'd probably value it around the cost of plastic. If it was a proven hull from someone like Will that has functioned and proven to survive a pounding for at least 1 battle season, then I can see maybe $75 - $100 for just hull parts with proper shaft holes, reliable (non-janky) motor mounts of appropriate type for the ship, rudder servo mount, water channeling, deck rim with logical cross braces. An assembled and bb-proofed hull could go for a bit more, and more for larger boats proportionally. A well designed printed boat can save a lot of time and can be a large plus if enough experienced builders go through the design/build/test/battle cycle to get a really good product together, but survivability is still a question mark for sidemount boats and I'd much rather dremel out/bond to fiberglass than ABS and know that my boat will last more than a season or so

19. Xanthar

That's all that was needed. Thank you.

20. Xanthar

I'm going to ignore all the insulting crap that was in that post and offer up a hull or two for people to test with as they see fit, for free. That's even less than the value of the plastic and far less than the amount of time I've spent.
    Is there anyone who'd be willing try one out?

Lord Haw Haw likes this.