Cad to Kit: SMS Deutschland Class

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by GregMcFadden, Oct 23, 2015.

1. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

There is nothing wrong with that at all. Some projects take a lot of time.. I just never thought of our hobby as being the place for that type of service. I feel that many of these niche products (molded products) are already so expensive that most folks do without. Personally if I could do it.. and may one day.. I would draw 3d sketches of things I needed and share with the group. That does not mean anyone that charges is wrong or a bad person.. that is just the way I feel about it. I don't do this to make a living.. it's a hobby.

2. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Full disclosure: All of my files are freely available on this site, and/or Thingiverse and Youmagine. I have no problem doing that but I didn't spend a metric butt-ton of time drawing all the casements and SS for Deutschland. The 'trolling' comment was not aimed at you, I was messing with Xanthar, who took up the challenge to print one of Mark's superstructures for impact testing, so everybody wins.

3. Lou

Lou It's just toy boats -->> C T D <<-- Admiral (Supporter)

[​IMG]

So, we need more pictures!

4. Maxspin

Maxspin -->> C T D <<--

Johnny,
    You are picking at this a little too hard. Both Nick and Greg have been open with the vast majority of CAD projects that they have done.
    Think of this as similar to the vacu-boat destroyer.
    They are trying to put together a starter kit for new battlers. A way for guys who may not have shop skills to get a boat on the water. It will have very clear instructions on how to "put it together" not how to build parts for it. The laser cut frames will have the stuffing tube location built in. TRAXXIS gear box goes "here". Battery X goes hear. Pump Goes here. It is planned for the new battler who most likely doesn't have the skills to cast parts. May or may not even have a shop. The 3D printed superstructure gets them away from having to "build" it. It will appeal to some, not to others.
    I am looking forward to seeing how fast it is to build, How it performs on the water, and if it helps to get new battlers on the water.

Keith

5. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

No Keith, I think you are.

I have already explained my thoughts which made it very clear. I am not referring to Nick and Gregg making a ship kit as a hobbyist venture. Please scroll back up and read. Thanks

6. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

Back onto the original topic at hand. Two prototype kits are on order to ensure that all parts fit properly. once they are cut, the laser cutter can give us more firm pricing on the followon kits after any modifications are made to the parts. ETA not yet known but I have hope that they (the prototypes) will come in time to frame up over Christmas.

-Greg

jadfer and Lou like this.
  7. GregMcFadden

Parts should arrive after their UPS Tour of the Country on or about 1/10! Yay!

Tugboat likes this.
  8. Lou

Lots of pics, please!

9. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

10. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

11. Captain obvious

Captain obvious Active Member

What is the price of this kit?

12. GregMcFadden

We can price it once we are certain all parts are correct in the laser cut kit and the 3dp parts fit together properly. basically, once the kit is test framed up successfully, it can be priced.

13. Captain obvious

Captain obvious Active Member

I am actually interested in just the hull nothing else since what I would like it for will require modification. Let me know when you have a price.

14. NickMyers

Thought you were going for a potemkin to mod?
    This Deutschland kit is not the best candidate to convert to a Kearsage. Use @rcengr's Potemkin kit.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
  15. Lou

Nick,

Any photos of the SS you can share (or want to share OF THE SHIP) :)

16. Rob3869

Rob3869 Member

Hello, I am the guy you'll are referring to. As a young man I build hundreds of model ships. At one point I assembled my own navy and would sit in my room, the living room, the hall way and my moms room and move my model ships around pretending the fleet was out at sea. I spent hours doing this, the same kind of time my son spends on his cell phone or his psp or ps3 or xbox 360, you get the point.
    Now my son and I are setting out to build the ship I always had in my mind but was never able to. She is huge in scope and will cost a pretty penny. I have incorporated many of my sons ideas and when she is completed she will probably measure a little over 9.5' in length, will have a reinforced double hull. We plan on inserting die packs in the double hull so that if our outer hull is breached we will be able to see the die in the water. She will have 4 screws, double rudders. We are going to see if we can have her propelled by gas instead of batteries for speed, maneuverability and range. If batteries is the way we have to go then so be it. She will have the standard 3 turret set up but we are going to see if we can make all 9 barrels fire. We are going to set her up with 2 sets of radio controls. One for navigation, propulsion and the other for firing. In between the superstructures we are going to see if we can have an open area designed for launching rockets, kind of like what you see on the 4th of July. When she is all said and done we are going to have a massive R/C replica of the USS Missouri with firing cannons, a reinforced hull and superior speed, range and fire power than anything else on the water. She will have running lights, cameras installed in her superstructure and will probably weigh right around 120lbs. I know this is going to be a heck of a challenge but think about it.
    How much fun it has been to sit with my son, lay out our plans, come up with ideas together and then make now our dream a reality. I look forward to attending the battles you guys have scheduled so we can check it out and meet you'll. However, the point to this message was it would be cool if a kit existed that a newbee like myself could buy, build and get on the water with relative ease.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2017
  17. irnuke

irnuke -->> C T D <<--

Some people believe they are a wit. They're half-right

rcengr likes this.
  18. NickMyers

100% correct, 20% shortfall of your perception.

19. NickMyers

I have no idea what you are referring to?

20. NickMyers

in a week or two probably. probably going to be all quiet on the photo front until we have the prototype kits in hand.