Calling all forward thinkers - Looking to design almost completely 3d printed cannons

Discussion in 'Digital Design and Fabrication' started by Pilot3759, Aug 26, 2016.

1. Pilot3759

Pilot3759 Member

I can see that 80% of the cannons parts are already printable on a "home" printer. My printer isn't exactly "home level" and the head to print Nylons is at a higher temp, you need a heated chamber, and still it is temperamental but I routinely do it. Including pressure chambers, gears, bike sprockets, drones, robots etc.

I was hoping to find some forward thinking people to give suggestions and helpful ideas on different designs of cannons I could 3d print and try. People with ideas, but who don't have the expertise to print or design in the high strength materials, or in the high end CAD programs like Solidworks and Fusion 360.

Pressures of around 150psi are easily handled by properly designed prints of appropriate materials.

These bb cannons don't need to be metal! Even Firearms no longer need to be metal. We don't need 3d metal printing to do this! We just need to be a bit more forward thinking, and maybe a bit out of the box thinkers.

Yes, destruction testing should be part of the protocol, then we know what the breaking point of a device is. I am set up to do that.

Is there anyone who has experience with making these cannons with ideas on what designs to try?

Please don't post statements on why "they" have to be metal. Just consider the possibilities if they don't! Even a multi barrel big gun cannon could be built for under $20!

2. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

Probably so, but how often will you have to replace parts that are worn? I believe that is the reason metal has to be used for parts that will take the most wear, mostly the barrels.

Anyway, on another note, this sounds like a cool endeavor. I've started the preliminary design work on a standard big gun cannon. Just never got around to printing it. But, sitting on it now, I can see some things that can be improved. It will be interesting to compare notes. :)

3. Pilot3759

Pilot3759 Member

Probably not much. Nylon just doesn't wear like PLA, ABS or other plastics, that's why we use it for gears, sprockets, and other moving parts. If you did, or it got destroyed somehow, a barrel would probably cost a buck or two if a friend printed it, less if you print it. In my case I can throw the stuff in a grinder, extrude it again with some new stock, and just print another one :)

4. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

I would say since you already believe you have a solid idea of how to engineer a pressure vessel that can handle the transient pressures involved that your printer can print, and seem to already see some areas where we could improve our weapon fabricating lives through printed parts, that your best course of action would be to design a printed version of what we already use, and see how you can improve from there, and print and demo it. A picture is worth a thousand words they say, and seeing is often heard to be believing.

Tugboat likes this.
  5. NickMyers

Whats your Nylon base material? 6?

one thing i've wondered about recycling old prints that have been used, most anything that touches my (and im guessing many other folks) gun systems will become contaminated with oils, wd40, dirt, etc. How would you flush that such that you could be sure you wouldn't ruin an entire batch over a dollar worth of recycled plastic?

6. Pilot3759

Pilot3759 Member

I understand pressure vessels, materials, and 150psi is pretty low. I have done some work with real weapon systems, 3d printing and other systems and design. I don't really know much about BB guns other than the basic functions. I was looking for information if others had given this any thought. This was a request for ideas. I already provided you pictures of pressure vessel, UAV, and a 3d printed sub. When this gets done, I will provide you a picture of that as well. Or it will fail. As Richard Branson and I am fond of saying... "if you fall flat on your face, at least you were moving forward!"

7. Pilot3759

Pilot3759 Member

That is a good point. Most of what I recycle is failed prints, or prints where the design isn't right, or display pieces that weren't exposed to WD-40 etc. I will have to give some thought to it!

8. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

If you're not exactly sure how these cannons work, I would pick up a set of big gun cannon plans from Strike Models. http://www.strikemodels.com/products/cannon-big-gun/

9. NickMyers

There are a few threads in the weapons subforum that break down how our mass ejection systems work. I would suggest taking a look there to get a baseline understanding. And if you're aiming to do BigGun cannon, the plans Beaver mentioned are a good start.
    Once you've got the grasp of what we're up to I would approach it one part at a time.
    If you're building FastGun, a good idea to look at would be how would you rebuild the interrupter mechanism for printing (bear in mind the system requirements are that it feed only 1 bb at a time, feeds 1 bb every time).

10. SteveT44

SteveT44 Well-Known Member

Well you might as well incorporate the solenoid valve in the design. Possibly using the coil and guts from a Spartan valve. Areas of concern for an all plastic fastgun cannon that I see are wear and distortion anywhere the bb changes direction, a durable plastic spring for the interrupter, and some form of fine adjustment in tweaking the o-ring restrictor (or it's plastic equivalent). Also, the home/hobby printers cannot print as smooth a surface as the inside of my tight tolerance stainless steel barrels so there will be some performance loss in that area that should be addresses in a printed version (if the plastic cannon user wants the power of a metal cannon).

11. Manic Minion

Manic Minion New Member

@Pilot3759 - I have just tested one of my designs using comercially available products however most of them needed some form of modification, would you mind having a go at 2 designs i currently have to see if you can make them work or not, ill term them "Direct Fire" cannons at this stage as the design is VERY compact for use on 144th scale destroyers,

If you are still keen send me a pm and ill shoot you the CAD drawings ;)

Cheers

12. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

Most importantly ... .are you going to print these guns, install them in a boat and join us in our hobby of R/C Naval Combat?

Anvil_x and Tugboat like this.
  13. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

^^ Ding ding! The right question.

Anvil_x and jadfer like this.
  14. Manic Minion

Manic Minion New Member

The Answer, YES, but i dont think ill be able to fly stateside every month to join you guys :p

15. Manic Minion

Manic Minion New Member

Im curious to see if ol mate with the heated chamber printer could print the "Breach" end of my design, I will be using the same tight bore stainless steel barrel as SteveT44,

Personally, im unsure that any form of printed Nylon will hold up to extended use, even though its only 150psi at the cannon, I think if it receives a hit from a BB it will start to degrade the plastic, multiple hits over time may cause it to have a failure point between the layers, aka cause a stress fracture, but i can see how a correctly heated sealed environment could overcome this scenario,

Either way, if someone is willing to print it, i have a design to test,

16. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Stuff that may help:

https://rcwarshipcombat.com/threads/cad-drawings-of-basic-indiana-cannon.443407/
    https://rcwarshipcombat.com/threads/the-big-gun-cannon.406813/
    https://rcwarshipcombat.com/threads/operation-of-a-biggun-cannon.444074/
    https://rcwarshipcombat.com/threads/cannon-design-and-construction-suggestions-welcome.442250/

Commentary: Even a Big Gun cannon built for $20? That's gotta be just materials. Do you not value production time, as a manufacturer? Your 3d printer sounds fabulous, but I doubt it produces parts instantly. Time to produce parts, time to set up and operate the printer, maintenance, etc. are all additional costs to consider.
    I like the idea of 3d printing cannons. But I don't think a 100% totally 3d printed cannon is a good idea. Some parts are just not worth the effort. It is so darned simple to bend up some barrels out of brake line, and those are one of the most highly stressed parts in the assembly. Same thing with buna balls... you could print something using fancy flexible polymers, or your could order buna balls by the bag for a few cents apiece.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2017
  17. Selley

Selley Active Member

I got ideas but no printing scills

18. Nate G

Nate G Well-Known Member

Just saw this. I have been exploring 3D printing with my son il law who is an engineering type and we use a Zortrax. I would be very interested in trying, printing, and using your designs

19. Selley

Selley Active Member

i made some plans but there hand drawn and 2d

20. Anvil_x

Anvil_x Well-Known Member

Good thread to Necro, Selley.

Idea:
    1: You guys know the motorized spring plunger systems used in Airsoft?
    2: Does anybody know at what pressure they function?
    3: Does anybody think those could be made into modules that are a little bigger than the solenoids we use?
    4: I'm sure this is a simple physics problem and the easiest to answer, but can they be made such that they reliably generate 150 PSI?

The idea I've been kicking around for a bit, because my nearest source of CO2 is an hour away, is instead of using CO2 tanks, solenoids, expansion tanks, and the like.... Slap together a 3D printed gun that has a built-in air-breathing system like that. run a breathing tube up into the turret or superstructure so they can still fire while the boat's in action.

Initial gun cost is right up front. no CO2 tank stuff to deal with, no refills, none of that. just a simple system to provide the pressure needed to eject a .177 BB out of a barrel at the requisite velocity.

Alternately, make a variant that is just the plunger module, so that current boats can use their current cannons, feeding through a 1/8" or 1/16" tube like we do now.

Yes, we'd need more battery power. the mass savings of deleting the CO2 systems would help with this.

Just think. No more long gas lines, no more leaks. just a motor-driven spring piston delivering pressurized air on demand.

And I bet @Charley could build a BC control board to handle the amps and do the job.

Alright, that's my idea. Now shoot holes in it.