Calling all forward thinkers - Looking to design almost completely 3d printed cannons

Discussion in 'Digital Design and Fabrication' started by Pilot3759, Aug 26, 2016.

1. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Anvil, if you don't want to use CO2 have you considered using an air compressor? A standard 12v bicycle/auto air compressor is able to produce the pressures needed, and a pressure switch can be used to shut it off at the desired pressure. Strip one down and you've got a compact, unlimited source of air. That mechanism was used by big gunners long before CO2 and freon, and is the origin of their rate-of-fire restrictions today. Heck, I have two destroyers that use a schraeder valve fill port for their single-shot torpedoes. It does have issues (noise, vibration, complexity) but it is a functional, proven alternative to CO2.

I have played around a little with the airsoft cannons in RC tanks, and this is what I learned. Airsoft cannons are able to reach a high velocity using several tricks. First, they use relatively long, large-bore barrels with very light projectiles. 6mm plastic shot is much easier to accelerate than 4.5mm steel bbs. Second, they use the air much more efficiently than we do. The piston, shot, and barrel are all in line, and there is no expansion volume between the shot and the piston. Once you introduce a direction change, or even an inch or two of space between the piston and the shot, and you lose a lot of efficiency. Lastly, they are using injection-molded plastic pistons and cylinders, which are much smoother than the rough, layer-ridden surfaces of FDM printers. That makes for a better seal and smoother movement. While that can be overcome, it is another issue to deal with. Maybe in a 1:72 scale or 1:96 scale cruiser, where you have much more room in the turret. Or perhaps in a destroyer, where you can hide most of the operating mechanism in the superstructure and just have the barrel poking out.

2. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

There are now several 3d printed cannon examplesin the resources section

3. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

depends on if you're looking for Fast Gun or Big Gun. We now have several excellent examples of Fast Gun cannons. My SMS Deutschland uses 3d-printed cannons exclusively. No available designs for Big Gun cannons though.

4. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

True, but the bb sizes there will probably fire 3/16 also with only minor tweaks, as the base design of breech was vetted out with both shot sizes years ago, just use slightly larger orange.

5. Anvil_x

Anvil_x Well-Known Member

Interesting. Yeah I am setting up an air compressor rig for bench testing as soon as I finish buying a house. I was more looking at getting rid of air tanks and solenoids completely. Too bad the airsoft compressors won't work in our application.

6. buttsakauf

buttsakauf Well-Known Member

Jeff K has a viable design that uses. Not purely 3D printed but close. Last I talked about it he was getting it dialed in and confidence was increasing that they were safe to share.

https://rcwarshipcombat.com/threads/3-d-printed-alabama-big-gun.445862/#post-526096