can i put a gun on a flower class corvette?

Discussion in 'General' started by uss Johnston 557, Apr 20, 2013.

1. uss Johnston 557

uss Johnston 557 Member

Im new at this hobby and interested in joining a club. To start out im considering building a Flower class Corvette, but I'm wondering if the Corvette being smaller than a destroyer would have any units? would it be legal to put a gun on it? thanks

2. DarrenScott

DarrenScott -->> C T D <<--

A Flower class?
    It's going to be tiny....we have one in the AusBG, it's barely got enough displacement for battery and propulsion...one hole and it sinks in seconds.
    The guy who owns it spent ages just getting it going.
    I hate to say it, but I dont think its do-able...

3. Astrosaint

Astrosaint Active Member

Sadly, the Flower Class is too small for 1:144 scale. It would work on 1:96 scale. I would build it anyway at something like 1:100 scale and arm it. I would take it on. Cheers.

4. uss Johnston 557

uss Johnston 557 Member

5. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

If you want to battle with anyone, you probably ought to build something workable, then take on an ambitious project like this.

6. Astrosaint

Astrosaint Active Member

Something "workable" and something that "someone will want to battle you with" are 2 different things. For the price of a low end BC or Strike model, I can build a small flotilla of combat boats. I hope to have images up shortly.
    A

7. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

To what rule set?

8. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

Clark is one of the masters of small boat building. I would heed his words.

9. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

http://www.rcnavalcombat.com/Forum/...fault.aspx Check near the end, its page 4 for me, so probably page 2 for everyone else.

10. NickMyers

On topic again.. Echoing what the others have said, a flower is really too small for 1/144. Build something larger first and then play with the flower as a side project another day.

11. uss Johnston 557

uss Johnston 557 Member

My favorite ship because of her history, is the Fletcher class Destroyer USS Johnston 557, would that a wise ship to start out with? If so can I buy the torpedo guns any where, or is the only option to build them yourself?

12. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

that would be a very difficult build. in 1/144 scale anything much smaller than the larger heavy cruisers can be difficult to build and arm in a way that is fun in combat. The german K class light cruisers can be fun but are difficult enough to arm, and they are far larger than a fletcher

13. Tugboat

You can build what you want, but if you think it's cheaper and easier to build that small, I will be happy to sit back and watch the build logs on the 'fleet' as you build it.

In this reality, the smallest that is easily built and armed is a cruiser of some flavor, a list of which includes:
    HMS Exeter
    HMS Kent
    MN Galisonniere
    MN Suffren
    DKM Lutzow
    DKM Prinz Eugen
    IJN Agano
    IJN Aoba
    IJN Takao
    USS Baltimore
    USS Brooklyn
    USS Cleveland
    USS Des Moines
    USS Northampton

This list is of ships that there is either a fiberglass hull or lasercut kit available for. I left off this list ships that were lighter than I would recommend to a person new to RC naval combat to build. It's not elitism, it's not looking down on people, it's reality. Honestly, I recommend a battlecruiser of some flavor over a cruiser for a new battler, but cruisers do well, too. Cheap to build, not too complex, not too hard to maintain on a battle weekend.

14. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

Amen Tugboat!

Also some of the pre-dreads would probably be good rookie boats. Three units including a sidemount, you'll be in the thick of it and it would be baptism by fire but slightly cheaper/easier than a battle cruiser and more aggressive than a cruiser.

15. Astrosaint

Astrosaint Active Member

Greetings:
    Let us see, you left out the SMS VDT--assembling one of those with the suggested gun configuration would set you back about $650.
    The other options set you back $700 or more. If I had the cash on hand, I would select the USS Michigan/South Carolina ($800 after shipping).
    Both the school principal and a shop teacher would laugh me out of the building for suggesting RC Combat at those prices at the next Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM) meeting as a student project.
    I have to keep to a budget that keeps me to one gun, a 2 channel radio, one propeller, one rudder, and inexpensive wood. Run those numbers for me. Under those "rules"--real ones--austerity is advised.
    Oh, did you know that 1/2 the planet's economy is in depression ? I see the issue everytime I see my school's annual budget figures.
    I try for AUSTERITY RC model boat combat.
    A, public school educator, Florida.

16. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

Armored Cruisers

Scharnhorst/Gneisenau
    Edgar Quinet Class

These are three shaft ships originally hence you can just power the center prop. Each has one rudder. At 2.5 units you can have a fairly roomy hull and some flexibility in gun mounting.

17. NickMyers

Let us not derail this thread from the proposition of building a tiny corvette with a gun into a discussion of Astrosaints 2x4 fleet. I would encourage Astrosaint to start his own thread to discuss his fleet and ideas for cost savings.

18. Tugboat

Abiding by Nick's urging...

My professional (such as it is) opinion as builder of things tiny: A Flower-class corvette would be hypothetically possible, but difficult, in 1/144. Max model weight is right at 2 pounds, lighter than Othar Tryggvassen/Orfey class. It would have to use the little 12g CO2 cartridges and a very light regulator. It would need a moderately pricey microservo (with more than 26oz-in of torque) to actuate a MAV-2 to fire the gun. Add one more for the rudder. Tiny motor/gearbox combo, ESC, and a prop from HK would work for the drive. Pump would need to be custom-made, but not un-doable.

Regardless, the wheels of thought are in motion. James knows that 'impossible' is my least favorite word when applied to shipbuilding. Before I get all nerdy and making a list of suggested parts... does anyone have a frames drawing of the Flower-class corvette?

Any thinking I do on this will be to fast gun rules, apart from the ship being so small that it is not listed on the shiplist (smaller than a DD).

19. uss Johnston 557

uss Johnston 557 Member

Thanks for the info.! I want to try it

20. Tugboat

A bit of nerding on t3h intarwebz for components puts us at 317.4g not counting driveshafts, pump, gun, wiring, and switches on the MAG throttle. Cost is at $105.33 including the radio set. Biggest price items are (unsurprisingly) the regulator ($45) and the radio ($23.99 for 4-ch), both of which aren't really buildable at home for the average guy. I've been totalling it all up in Excel for future sharing purposes, because it'd work out well for other small projects... drop the gun and reg to build a convoy ship and it's downright cheap!