Last September I bought SNS Canarias back from Larry Dingle and yesterday I got HMS Cumberland back from Brechin Piper. I'd started to build the Cumberland as HMS Suffolk, the only two Kent Class cruisers with cut-down quarterdecks. The hull was finished and much of the internal equipment installed when I decided to build the Canarias (which uses the same hull and can battle Axis or Allied) instead. Cumberland was sold in 1998, with turrets but no superstructure. The plan is to build two nearly identical models (in terms of combat capability). The only significant difference between them is that the Cumberland's stern guns can be depressed more than those in Canarias due to the cut-down quarterdeck. The mostly fiberglass superstructure on the Canarias is in surprisingly good shape and needs only filling and sanding of BB damage, one new secondary gun and a repaint. The Cumberland's styrene superstructure is quite accurate but will be very difficult to strip for a repaint and has quite a few cracks at joints from BB impacts; a new styrene superstructure will be built. The drive train design in both models is identical. Both used Robbe kits for the rudders, which need to be enlarged by 50%. The interior layout in Canarias is quite different than when I first owned it, and Cumberland's is different again. I'll probably use the CO2 capsule system and Palmer 'Rock the Boat' regulator system originally installed in Canarias for both models - I have a couple of hundred 35 gm capsules. The RtB regulator and CO2 capsule were installed between the prop shafts in Canarias, allowing more room and weight to be dedicated to increased battery capacity. The first step in the refit was to strip the paint from the decks, done relatively easily for Cumberland but proving difficult with Canarias. Canarias has at least 5 coats of deck paint, the original grey primer deck colour, an acrylic 'deck tan' Testors spray applied the last year I owned it, and two different tans applied since it was sold. The final tan layer is thick and is probably more than one coat. Then there's a shellac-like clear coat that gums up sandpaper quickly and is resistant to paint stripper. About 2/3 of the deck is down to the original black gelcoat after repeated applications of stripper and scraping. Both models were re-sheeted before I bought them but the way the sheeting was done obscured the distinctive bow 'knuckle' of the County and Canarias Class hulls. (There's a trick to sheeting the knuckle.) The bows of both models have been stripped of balsa back to the start of the knuckle and will be redone. Unfortunately I'll have to re-sheet most of the Cumberland's hull because the silkspan didn't adhere well to the balsa and peels off easily. Curt Stokes reported having the same problem and thought it was due to using dope that was old. I'm trying to find a source in Canada for SIG model dope and thinner vs paying the US exchange and shipping. I expect to finish stripping and cleaning the hulls this week, then make larger rudders, install a water channeling system (which neither model had), followed by the bilge pumps. I'll be photographing the rebuilds.