canarias

Discussion in 'North Atlantic Battle Squadron' started by oldsalt05, Apr 6, 2014.

1. oldsalt05

oldsalt05 Member

Just wanted to let Bob know I still have Canarias. She has been sitting on a shielf every since we move from Maryland (May2005). I sold all my other ships, but I just couldnt part with Canarias. My boys have been pushing me to get her back on the water, so we got her down this weekend and started work to make her ready to go back in the water. I put her name in google and saw Bob's post asking to buy her back. Really dont want to sale her due to my boys looking forward to sailing her again. I think she is a beauitiful ship would hate to part with her. Out of respect I wanted to let you know how much joy she has brought us. By the way, she still has not been sunk in battle. She won best in class in Willmington NC summer 2004. Hopefully she will be battling again this summer if I can find a battle near us in Greenville SC.
    Larry

2. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

That is a very nice cruiser. I remember battling against it in the Nabs local battles. A great cruiser. I am sure Bob will be pleased to hear all about it.

3. Bob Pottle

Bob Pottle Well-Known Member

Hi Larry,
    I'm glad you plan to get her back in action this year - Canarias was my favorite non-battleship model. If the local club becomes active again I'll have to build another Canarias as my attempt to buy back HMS Cumberland (which should have identical battle performance) appears to have fizzled. I'll have to see if the Mogrets can mould the funnel and tower bridge for me. They bought the moulds but don't list those parts as being available.
    Bob

4. KeriMorgret

KeriMorgret Facilitator RCWC Staff Vendor

Hi Bob, best to send Stephen an email, stephen at strikemodels dot com. Thanks!

5. oldsalt05

oldsalt05 Member

Hello Bob,
    I got Canarias back into the water. New siding, replaced broken guns and install my home made bb guns. Replaced her engines and a new pump. She is looking very nice now. If I knew how to add a picture to this reply I would...........

Larry

6. Bob Pottle

Hi Larry,
    Canarias has arrived via Fed Ex - picked it up on the way to work and will open the box this evening. Hood should arrive in SC in the next 2 days.
    Bob

7. Bob Pottle

Canarias will be getting a complete refit this winter. The CO2 system will be converted back to the much more compact 56 gm capsule and Palmer Pursuit regulator it had originally. The reg and CO2 capsule sat between the prop shafts just behind the motors, leaving the amidships area free for a larger battery capacity than the current system with CO2 bottle allows. Detailing will be enhanced to the level of HMS Hood and Minotaur, including scale planking scribed into the gelcoat of the fibreglass deck.
    Having had no success in buying back HMS Cumberland I'm going to build another cruiser to oppose Canarias. I was thinking of another County, which would have identical RC combat features, but might build a Frobisher instead after I make the new hull plug and mould. The Frobisher Class won't turn as well, being just short of 600' LOA and having a smaller rudder, but the stern gun positions are much closer to the waterline and better suited for close range below the waterline hits.

8. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Great news on that Bob.

9. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Great news on that Bob.