Cannon Design and Construction- Suggestions Welcome

Discussion in 'Weapons & Pneumatics' started by Cannonman, Sep 4, 2011.

1. Cannonman

Cannonman Ultimate Hero :P -->> C T D <<--

The breech plate installed into the magazine sleeve.
    [​IMG]

2. Cannonman

Bottom View
    [​IMG]

3. Cannonman

I included this shot to show the adjustment screws that set/ adjust the height of the round in the breech.
    [​IMG]

4. Cannonman

The breech plate/ magazine sub assembly is added on top of the manifold. I used a bunch of screws (not all shown) because the breech plate has to seal on top of the magazie without the aid of any media to improve sealing. The two machined surface are simply clamped to one another and a seal that is effective enough for our purposes results. The Delrin breech plate does conform to the magazine to a small degree. The seal is actually very good.
    [​IMG]

5. Cannonman

Here is the ball valve body all by it's lonesome. This particular one has yet to have the outlet port tapped to accept the rotation bushing. The threads for the MPA pilot and the ones for the accumulator to screw to are present though.
    [​IMG]

6. Cannonman

Another view:
    [​IMG]

7. Cannonman

That's it for now. I will contunue with some pics of the ball valve inner components later. :)

8. Swiss Cheeze

Swiss Cheeze Member

Impressive

9. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

The pics have been most helpful. Sketchup drawings are in progress.

10. Gascan

Gascan Active Member

I like that loading tube jig you made. Have you thought about how to make a larger magazine? I've heard some discussion of making a central part that includes the loading tubes and breech, with the bulk of the magazine being a separate piece that can be used to make different sizes of magazine. I saw a design using two large 3/16" or 1/4" pins to hold the accumulator to the valve body. It still used the o-ring to seal the accumulator, but looked a bit simpler to make.

11. Cannonman

I have put a bit of thought into a "stockable" cannon. Due to the massive difficulty in obtaining cannons for big gun, and its negative effects on growing the hobby I had considered (even started designing) a cannon that could be built and stocked in larger quantities. It was close in overall concept (as far as cost effectively having cannons pre made without having to stock tons of different configurations) My thought was to still make the magazine in one piece, but stocked without the feed holes or riser holes. Then when a order was received, using a set of fixtures similar to mine, the holes would be drilled in the needed configuration on a drill press and ship the cannon out. Properly designed, and with some rules "flexability" on barrel spacing, only one set of drilling fixtures would be needed for all magazine diameters, and virtually no skill or special equipment needed to take a magazine from a generic undriled unit to a dual barrel, 7/32 diameter ammo or a triple 1/4 diameter ammo simply by choosing the appropriate fixtures and drilling as the orders came in.

I had also considered a "quick release" accumulator allowing for changing/ servicing/ etc. My first thought was very similar to what you mentioned, but using any type or pin to hold the magazine on would require it to be offset to one side to be out of the path of the rush of air. That would probably also require two pins to even out the load as the pressure rapidly built and dropped to keep from fatiguing the mounting points. It would also need to be close tolerance holes to keep from allowing a hammering effect that would wear out the holes. Due to the difficulty in accurately drilling off center holes to a close tolerance which is a pain at the beginning, middle, and end of a parts run, I opted to just thread the connection. That eliminates the hammering effect, the weakening of the two components due to holes, etc. Also, once set up, the threads would run accurately unattended throughout the run. Off center holes are a pain because inevitably they walk around, more so as the tools dull, so without close watch the opportunity fro scrap goes way up, driving up costs.

Those were my thoughts on a "commercially" available cannon. Not that all I say here is absolute truth, just why I did what I did and didn't do what I didn't do. I still toss around the possibility of providing them myself, so all of what I build is sort of a test been for that, just because I love the big gun rule set and want more people to build for it. I think that smaller big gun clubs and newly started ones are fighting an uphill battle due to lack of cannons.

I am getting ready to unveil my new big gun torpedo I am building on my Uritski build thread, so anyone who hasn't followed that may want to take a look. There is another inclusion to the ball valve which reduces weight and space requirements. I am going to post pics before I have it fully operational due to all the discussion I became involved in on cannons.

12. Tugboat

The one I've drawn in Sketchup to try printing has a few different features that the one you've presented here;

The mount points where things screw to the valve body will be metal inserts that get chemically welded to the valve body, so that it's metal threads. I don't have any confidence in my ability to put good threads on plastic. The valve seat for the Buna ball will be printed small, then ground to final diameter/profile on my drill press. The body will be more 'square-ish' and have tabs on the bottom edges for mounting to the ship (or to a piece of wood that lets you pull multiple turrets out at once). The top edge will have more surface area to give better support to the magazine above, taking some strain from the rotating element that connects the valve to the magazine.

I plan to have the bottom parts (valve, accumulator) at the Statesboro battle next weekend.

13. Cannonman

Wow! Sounds awesome!! I had guessed that anything requiring a good finish (sealing surfaces) would need a touch up after printing. I can't wait to see what you have come up with!!

14. Tugboat

Pics soon. Printing the test valve in the AM.

15. Tugboat

Ay carajo! A brainstorm has hit me! I was searching for a 15/32"-32 threaded fitting to chemically weld into the valve body without much (any) success. Then it hit me. What if I print an air pilot valve into the valve body, eliminating the MPA-7? SO! A few quick sketches on paper later, I have a design that I think will work for a lightweight torpedo launcher. The pilot valve piston is 25mm (bigger than an MPA-7 by 2.5mm), and will move the Buna ball about 1cm, plenty to get the air/CO2 moving to the torpedo gun proper.

Keeping in mind that it's being built to go in a Gearing, and that my two choices are both 1" I.D. ABS, one with 1/8" wall thickness, and one with 1/4" wall thickness (thus, one is 1.25" O.D. and the thick walled one is 1.5" O.D.), which do I go with? Will the 1/8" wall tube hold 120# to 150# air?

So for the people who've built such things, will a 1" I.D. accumulator 3" long (inside length) hold enough air for a single 3-ball bearing torpedo shot? Or will I need more length? I'm planning on a 10mm long plug in each end to seal the tube.

16. Cannonman

The volume of air would be around 2.3 cu. in., I think the typical recommendation is around 2cu.in. per barrel for 1/4" projectiles?? Considering that is usually for Indiana cannons, you *might* get away with it depending on your design efficiency. A torpedo doesn't have to pressurized a large manifold like an Indiana cannon does, so its volume requirement should be less. Seems to me you might need another 1" of length minimum though. Running at 150 paid should allow you to run an accumulator on the smaller side. I think the thinner walled PVC is the schedule 40 stuff, and is what most people use. The thicker stuff I think is schedule 80, has a bunch more burst strength, but I'm not sure of the availability. I would go for the abs tube from McMaster, and if you print in abs you can solvent weld it just like PVC if you wish. Of course, I'm an overkill kind of person... I hate to blow off a body part.... or worse yet,someone else's..... I wonder if there is a composite type material (like Kevlar) that could be laminated to the outside of PVC to help control failure.

17. Tugboat

I'm talking about ABS for all the plastic parts, regardless of what type of cannon I'm talking about. The torpedo cannon will fire a single tube with three 1/4" bearings, so a 3" length should be okay for one shot.

How have you guys been connecting the Buna ball to the pushrod, and what are you using for the pushrod? I've got an order open with McMaster-Carr and it'd be good to know. My torpedo gun is using a 5/8" Buna-N ball and a 1" ID ABS tube. Pic of the valve body minus hole for pushrod and minus that air pilot valve:
    [​IMG]
    It's designed to be printed in one go. The big cylinder on the right side of it will fit snugly into a 1" I.D. ABS tube. The hole in the top will fit a 5/16" stainless steel tube with a tiny bit of clearance (easier to weld in, right?) The little raised area around the hole is to give the tube 10mm of join area for welding. At the bottom of the hole for the tube, it narrows down to 4.4mm, so that to assemble the cannon, you weld the SS tube into the top, and th ABS tube to the side, and the narrowing at the bottom of the uptube prevents the ammunition from falling out the bottom of the SS tube into the valve itself. Very simple design, when you reload, you load 3 bearings into the muzzle. A small magnet should be attached to the SS tube to retain the bearigns until the moment of firing (after all, we have to put the ship on its other side to reload the opposite launcher!). The design of the top will likely be changed to make printing easier, but the basic features will remain the same. The plan includes a metal tube insert for the pushrod to move within, to increase the functional lifetime of the cannon.

Once I get more data (size of pushrod, how its connected to the ball), I will finish the design including the air pilot valve, and print a prototype. This is a baby step towards an easy, relatively cheap Big Gun cannon.

18. Cannonman

Drawing looks great! You work fast!
    See uritskis build thread for a view of internals. The pushrod I used was 1/8 brass, threaded about 1/2 inch with a 6-32 die. It does not provide a proper thread because the rod O.D. is too small, but it holds good in the buna ball. I pre drilled the balls, I will have to check on the size. I can track down the part number of the stainless spring I used, it came from McMaster also. So did the buna balls. I know the spring O.D. is a little under 1/4 inch.

19. Cannonman

Oops, You did say ABS.... My bad!! I used the thicker wall stuff and bored a little out of the I.D. to leave it thicker than the wall thickness of 1" schedule 40 pvc, but I don't remember the thickness off hand.... .137" maybe??? If so I probably went with .150 Wall thickness.

20. Gascan

Gascan Active Member

I think the 1/8" brass rod can be threaded with a 5-40 die to bite into the Buna ball. On the other end, I think a 5-40 nut was too big to fit inside an actuator. I had to drill and tap the center of the rod 2-56 and have a small bolt and washer retain the spring.

One problem with the traditional positive pressure cannon is that the 1/8" rod is right in the middle of the air path. I think it is possible to use a negative pressure cannon to eliminate this inefficiency, and a negative pressure cannon is easier if you can build your own actuator into the valve body instead of using an MPA-7.