Cannon Design and Construction- Suggestions Welcome

Discussion in 'Weapons & Pneumatics' started by Cannonman, Sep 4, 2011.

1. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

Yup, no problem. :)
    Beaver

2. Engineer

Engineer New Member

Snipehunter,
    I thought I responded to your question yesterday evening, I know the site went down.
    Anyway, I design underground (and open pit) mine infrastructure for companies around the world, only hard rock minerals like phosphates, potassium, metals, etc.
    Engineer

3. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

Drat, I had a much better chance of knowing you if it was the other one...oh wells.

Anywho welcome to the hobby, always good to have another engineer around.

4. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

Oh, Engineer, I thought you might find this interesting. It shows pretty much how a big gun cannon works. Plus it tells you what everything does.
    http://www.rcwarships.com/rcwarships/nwc/gun01.html

Beaver

5. DarrenScott

DarrenScott -->> C T D <<--

Well isnt that neat, I build and repair underground coalmining equipment.....

6. Engineer

Engineer New Member

All,
    Sorry, I have been absent. I have been doing the one thing that takes up my whole day (and part of the night) for the last week (yes, the weekend too!). Deadlines, deadlines! It is hard for me to sit in front of a computer all day and come home at night and do it, My wife will not tolerate that, toughs of us that are married know what I am talking about. Anyway....

Mr. Scott, this is neat. Do you work for a equipment dealer, a mining company, or....? My hat is off to you, they could not pay me enough to go down a coal mine. I have been in some pretty small mines in my life (hard rock) and I try to avoid them as much as possible for I am no small boy 6'-2". I worked in a gold mine 30 years ago in Colorado, just before college, 1100' drift, 5'-6' high and I was always hunched over drilling with a 80 lb jackleg (old school way). The best part of my day was turning the crank and detonating the 18" sticks of Hercules and feeling the ground shake.

Cheers!

7. DarrenScott

DarrenScott -->> C T D <<--

I work for an engineering company, mostly on the surface.

We build a lot of equipment, but not the actual miners, although we do perform repairs...

That said, I am certified for underground hotwork...after filling out the hours worth of paperwork...and our mines here are quite spacious.

The Mrs....well she doesnt like me going underground, but its part of the job.

8. Cannonman

Cannonman Ultimate Hero :P -->> C T D <<--

Here is a photo of the Ball, rod, spring seat and spring:
    [​IMG]

9. Cannonman

Cannonman Ultimate Hero :P -->> C T D <<--

Here is the ball valve with MPA-3, the ball valve to accumulator adapter, and a threaded bung for the accumulator, The bung is because I didn't trust the thin copper end cap to hold the fitting with only a couple threads, so I made it to insert in the cap from the inside then soldered it in place. Now all threads on the fitting have something to engage in.
    [​IMG]

10. AP

AP Member

Earlier in the thread, the aluminum rotation bushing and mating support showed to bind-up after some firing. As I read the original build posts, I suspected this might happen. Aluminum is a "sticky" metal, as my old pal Rich Hargrave used to say. This stickiness is what allows aluminum clamps to get such a good grip on barrels. As a locking collet or any other securing part, aluminum is excellent.

The bind is natural for two aluminum parts running past each other, even if lubed (though Corning 111 hydraulic valve grease might work longer). In my Marlin 60 .22, the aluminum receiver is subject to galling even by the steel bolt, so I take pains to deburr the bolt and keep the receiver lubed well. You could try ATF fluid, but any sort of lube required will also require cleaning and re-lining at some to-be-determined servicing interval. I would love to see a bushing replace rotation bearings. But I think it would need to be a "lubed for life" bushing of the sintered bronze type - something like used in clutch throw out bushing for manual transmissions.

11. AP

AP Member

As far as efficiency goes, the open manifold design gives gas a huge area to detour and take a vacation before hitting the breeches. If you cut a disc to fill the manifold, leaving a triangular area going from the rotation riser spreading out to the breeches, it will reduce the pressure loss that happens once the gas enters the manifold.

The angled /beveled area at the top of the rotation tube helps a lot. Gas hates a sharp edge at a transition and will not make any attempt at laminar flow. It will break up and go turbulent - absolutely last thing we want when entering the manifold. The pressure wave goes all to hell. If the turns in the gas paths can be radiused, the gun will run a faster flow and shock the rounds off their seats better.

12. Time Lapse

Time Lapse Member

Did you make any Video showing how it is assembled and works

13. Spencer Koontz

Spencer Koontz New Member

Hi,
    I am also scratch building the cruiser Émile Bertin.

Could you please send me the cad files for this? it looks amazing!

-S