Cannon rotation/elevation

Discussion in 'Construction' started by pew-pew-pew, Apr 2, 2007.

1. pew-pew-pew

pew-pew-pew Member

ive noticed on some ships that one or two turrets roatate/elevate.
    anyone know where you can find theses kits[?]

2. JustinScott

JustinScott Well-Known Member

Typically they are custom. :)

There are several examples on the queensown website:
    http://www.queensown.org/armament/armament.html

3. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

If you don't have the equipment to manufacture your own cannons, you can order them from BDE RC combat supplies, here: http://www.bderc.com/
    Is that what you're talking about? Just so you know, those cannons are specifically designed for the Big Gun ruleset, and can only fire once every few seconds or so. They are NOT compatible with any of the Fast Gun rulesets, so make sure you know what ruleset you'll be using before you order.

In my local club the WWCC, several people make cannons, and other people who need guns either get them from BDE or from the club members who make (and sell) cannons. In my humble opinion, the BDE cannons are the best of those on the market, although they occasionally need a little "spit-n-polish" before they reach optimum performance. BDE has contracted out a modular cannon design to a CNC machine shop, so everything they supply is very consistent and high quality, which is why I prefer them to the most garage-machined guns. Their prices may seem high but that's about what it costs to make a decent gun with quality parts anyway. It could be done cheaper, but reliability would suffer immensely. The only cannon maker with better guns is Neal's Garage, and he doesn't accept orders. However, if you can visit his garage, he's got the equipment and willingness to help you custom-build a set of cannons to a higher quality than even BDE can. I have two sets of cannons from Neal's Garage, and they do what they're supposed to when they're supposed to, whether they're firing sticks, stones, steel, or rusty ball bearings.
    For clarification, here's the problems that sometimes need some spit-n-polish on BDE cannons:
    1) the magazine tends to *jump* a little every time you fire, making consistent ranging somewhat difficult.
    2) the ball valve occasionally gets stuck in the open position, wasting gas and potentially freezing the regulator.
    3) sometimes the wrong (read too small) accumulator gets put on a triple or quadruple cannon, requiring higher firing pressures.
    These problems are not very common (that I have seen) and are not difficult to fix. Most importantly, once they are fixed they stay fixed. Other cannon suppliers have magazines falling off the ball valve, inconsistent loading, and breakable magazine covers, in addition to higher rates and severity of BDE problems.

4. pew-pew-pew

pew-pew-pew Member

well how big or how many turrets quallify to be big gun?

5. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Its based on the rule-set of the club you play with. See this link:
    Visit this site
    You only need to know which club you are going to join and what rule set it follows.

6. JustinScott

JustinScott Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, were we talking about the rotate/elevate mechanism or the cannon itself? If you already have a cannon; then all you need to do is add some well placed gears & servos... if you need the whole assembly, well, do as Carl says. He is the weapons guy.

7. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

It would be great to get some inside view pictures/diagrams/ component views of the various elevation mechanisms available. (preferably more detailed than the QO website)

8. pew-pew-pew

pew-pew-pew Member

yes, scott we were, bye any chance does anyone have any diagrams?