Canopus at Coronel

Discussion in 'Full Scale' started by Anachronus, Nov 14, 2009.

1. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

What is the opinion of the board. What would have been the outcome if the Canopus had been with Craddock's forces at Coronel?

Personally I think she would have been sunk with the rest. The critical factor would be what such an engagement would do to von Spee's ammunition supply. I think taking out Canopus would have severely depleted them. Would he have gone on to raid the Falklands if he only had say 25% of his ammunition allowance?

2. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

I dont honestly know much about the Canopus. What did her armor look like? Could Von Spee's 8.2" hurt her seriously?

3. Anachronus

She had a 6" belt of Krupp armor. So, yes the 8.2's could penetrate it. Her 12" 35 caliber guns had a range of about 13,000 yards. Her crew was the greenest of the green.

4. crzyhawk

Id imagine simply more ammo is expended, and Canopus dies with Craddock. With low ammunition, I think Spee will listen to his captains and decide against raiding the Falkland Islands. After that, anyones guess. Perhaps trying to link up with Souchon and the Mediterranean squadron in Turkey? That would certainly be interesting giving the Med the East Asiatic fleet.

5. Anachronus

I agree about Canopus and not raiding the Falklands. What I have no clue to is what von Spee would do. Turkey seems like a bad bet as you would have to go through the narrow Mediterranean and deal with the French and the English. What state where the German Africa colonies in? Does he have the coal endurance to make it back to Germany via the Denmark Strait? Only other option is internment. Better for the crews but is it a viable option?

6. crzyhawk

I know there was a German light cruiser that hid out in the African colonies, I want to say Konigsberg but I am not sure. She ended up sunk. I'm not sure what Spee's coal situation looked like, but couldn't have been good. I don't think Spee would have opted for internment, but it's possible.

7. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

The German Light Cruiser was the Emden. Epic story at the time, about chivalry (Emden always obeyed the rules of war when it encountered merchant ships) and courage (once they lost their ship, they made an incredible overland journey to get back to Germany).

The question about the Canopus is a fascinating one. I will have to game that out in DG2:Jutland in order to get a proper answer.

8. Anachronus

No, Emden was mostly in the eastern part of the Indian Ocean. I think it was Konigsberg the wreck of which is still in the river delta where it was sunk.

9. crzyhawk

Nope, it was Konigsberg.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMS_K%C3%B6nigsberg_(1905)