Captain Thibault's First Ship

Discussion in 'Atlantic Radio Control Club' started by BoomerBoy17, Oct 16, 2008.

1. BoomerBoy17

BoomerBoy17 Active Member

My very first ship, an Admiral Graf Spee, Lutzow, or Admiral Sheer. I would like to know what people think about for names of this ship. Also, i would like to know how people did the ribs on their Graf Spees. This is very exciting for me, and you will have to wait for pictures, but before it all begins, I'd like to thank everyone for help.
    YAY!!!!! I am so excited, my first ship !!!!!

2. Chris Easterbrook

Chris Easterbrook Well-Known Member

Good to hear Booomer, if you look in Craig's Graf spee thread he has pics of his before and after, the wifes and mine will look simular to Craig's. If you are getting a Ralph Coles hull use 1\8th ribs as it is a good and thick hull.

3. Craig

Craig Active Member

Start checking out the Sparrow's Graf Spee thread. You also need to decide on what combat ruleset you want to go with. I went with the 1/8th ribs and it went very well. Nice dirty little ship. Lutzow. You are a Lutzow man... Boomerboy's Lutzow. Nice ring to it.

4. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

Definately Graf Spee. Not only was she the coolest looking of the three, she had the most interesting if short history.

5. Chris Easterbrook

Chris Easterbrook Well-Known Member

Hey Boomer call yours the Deutschland, that was the Lutzow's name before Hitler had it changed. It is the name of the class.

6. BoomerBoy17

Chris, i dont know if i want to go with ribs that small, wont it be a challenge(for a newbie) to side? If i go 1/4 inch, would it be that much of a difference? Also, i meant the spacing, stringer placement, along with rib size. If you can give me those 3 things, i think i can have it taped, then post pictures so you guys can tell me right or wrong.
    Alright, as for the name, it will be decided on later. There are four choices as stands: Deutschland, Lutzow, Graf Spee or Sheer. Maybe, maybe, when it is a little closer to finishing, ill set up a poll.

7. TheMackster

TheMackster Member

Free your mind! Don't be bound by conventional thinking!

I'm going to name my County-class cruiser the "Angry Beaver" and paint it up as a pirate ship.

Then again, most of my friends think I'm a bit crazy. LOL

8. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Just want to clear up the RIBs on the Graf Spee. Boomer if your building the Graf Spee in any formalt go with either the 3/8 ribs or 1/4 ribs.Not 1/8 that is the meassurement used for the stringers. 1/4 in will give you a decent surface area to attach the balas to towards the centerline of the rib. 1/8 in and you won't be able to attach 2 panels to the rib. For the stringer itself 1/8 is the standard in MWC and IRCWCC and Treaty I believe. If your building it CWC-X you have a choice 1/8 stringer or 1/4 in stringer. Your choice. Hope this clears up any confusion. I think the guys were speaking of the main ribs as 1/4 in. Hope this clears up the confusion.

Thanks everyone.

Adm Stokomoto

9. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Congrats on getting the hull. I go with the Sheer as it sank the most ships out of the entire class.
    I will be posting my pics of my Graf Spee too for reference.

Adm Stokomoto

10. Bob Pottle

Bob Pottle Well-Known Member

Will,
    Do not use 1/8" ribs! Ralph's hulls aren't thick enough for a 1/8" wide rib to resist close range BB fire. I've had 1/4" wide ribs blown out of my Warspite, which was half again as thick as a typical hull from Battlers.

I use a mix of 3/16" and 1/4" wide ribs for cruisers to give enough of them that the windows are of even width and no more than 2"-2.25" wide.

Bob

11. Craig

Craig Active Member

Guys..... Chris mistyped! It was suppossed to be 3/8 as mine is. Sorry bout the confusion.... let's carry on.

12. BoomerBoy17

Alright, i got it about the ribs. but for the stringer, is it on the top of the bulge or the bottom of the flat sides? If that isnt clear, i think i can make it clearer. Actually, i am thinking of calling it the Duetschland now, but again, it wont be officially named until later. Oh, ok, i got it. But what i really want is the measurements(ex. the 1st rib (3/8" thick) is x inches from end of bow impenetrable area, 2nd rib (3/8" thick) is y inches from rib 1, ect.) This would be very helpful for me, thanks. I wasnt going to use 1/8 inch ribs, i am not insane.
    Thanks guys.

13. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

It's at the top of the bulge where there is a ridge running along the length of the bulge that meets the upper flat side of the hull. I will post pics of my Taped up Graf Spee to Clarify Boomer.

14. BoomerBoy17

Thank you very much. and from now on, the ship will be referred to as the Duetschland, as even though i am not sure what the name will be, that is the class name, and for now, will suffice. Also, Curt, can you post your ribs setup?

15. ChuckR

ChuckR Active Member

Boomer it is good to see that you are taking the input from the seasoned vet to heart. I was trying to do my ship alone (through nobodies fault). It really got messed up and had to be completely restarted. These guys willnot steer you wrong. But they will sink you the first chance they get. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

16. BoomerBoy17

Well, i know they wont steer me wrong, thats one of the reasons my very first build thread is in the ARCC thread. And they can try to sink me as soon as they can, but with everything i learn from them, it may be harder then they think. Then again ive never battle before, ill find out how good(or bad) i am this weekend.

17. Craig

Craig Active Member

Any questions Will.... just keep firing them off@

18. BoomerBoy17

I have a ton, but i dont even have a hull yet.

19. Craig

Craig Active Member

That's ok bud. Whatever you need, whenever you need. Just let any of us know. Happy to help.

20. BoomerBoy17

Well, i need those measurements so that i can cut out the windows, but first i need to have the hull (Ralph hasnt emailed me back yet, but i sent him the money, hmm, hope everything is alright), then i need the measurements, tape and a tape measure. Then ill have pics for that.