Captain Thibault's First Ship

Discussion in 'Atlantic Radio Control Club' started by BoomerBoy17, Oct 16, 2008.

1. Craig

Craig Active Member

Ralph will. Ok. Just let us know what you thinking, we'll see what we can help with.

2. BoomerBoy17

BoomerBoy17 Active Member

i put it in the other build, look there and post here if at all possible.

3. BoomerBoy17

i said there that: " Craig, i want for example this:

Rib #1(1/4" thick) is xxx inches from the end of the bow impenetrable area.
    Rib #2 (1/4" thick) is xxx inches from rib 2
    ect, ect, ect, all the way down. Also, the stringer, how far down the hull is it(vertically) and between what ribs is it? Thanks
    "

4. Craig

Craig Active Member

Ahhhhhhhh young Padawan learner (if you are familiar with Star Wars... means student basically) That is the fun and also the most important step. The beginnings of the strategy with your model.

I will give you the info on mine. Here is the way I thought it up. I wanted the thing to be a killer. An actual beast with a lot of defense where I thought it would need it and wanted it to be easy to maintain and cut out.

So. I went with the 1/4 inch ribs which, with the math allowed me 18 such ribs. Nineteen windows a side. Choosing to begin at the back ( as Curt has done with his as well ) we placed only two ribs in the back ten inches of the ship. One about 5-6 inches up and one where the deck jumps up. The reason behind this is simple. It supports the back end of the ship while not taking away to heavily from the rib count. Most of the stern rests high out of the water.

Now we still have 16 ribs to play with over 38 inches or so. The math here is that we have covered the back ten inches and the forwardmost two is not to be cut out, according to the rules. So. That is a little over 2 inches of space between each rib. Again. Have to figure on where this ship is going to need the most defense. I figure, bow and midship. So. I placed each of seven ribs close to one inch apart from the centerline of the ribs. This creates a nasty well defended bow. Not too much to shoot at.

Working from the seventh rib and the second last rib I go forward about two and a half (approx) inches on either side to create three larger windows to the middle of the ship. This eats up six more ribs.... leaving me with three ribs about an inch and a quarter apart in the midships. This accounts for all 18 ribs, seven grouped to the bow, two to the midships, 5 in the midships, two to the stern and then two in the back end of the ship. Nineteen windows in all. They are all 1/4 inch ribs.

Ok. Stringer? Starting at the seventh rib and going all the way to the aforementioned second-last rib on the ship.... following the torpedo bulge, we have the 1/4 inch stringer. Which if you follow any other rules set besides the newly anticipated cwc-x format would be 1/8 inch. I have built Graf to be a demon, and he will be one under the cwc-x ruleset (TBA).

I hope this helps. You can forgo alot of that and just cut out nineteen even windows from bow to stern. Really bud, it's up to you how you want to proceed. Remember, this is a game, you are supposed to have fun, but, there is also strategy, and as I have said, it begins with construction.

Any other questions fire away!

Craig

5. Craig

Craig Active Member

Feel free to use Curt's and my pictures to help with your decision making process Will!

6. BoomerBoy17

Well, i say your pictures, and i realized that, thats how i want to cut my ribs, so i better ask. You did a fantastic job of explaining. I get it now. Thanks

Edit***- you know that the math technically gives you 18.52 ribs right? Which means you can have 1 x 3/8" rib along with 17 x 1/4" ribs.

7. Craig

Craig Active Member

Thank-you Will. Yes it does. But, I leave so much for human error and such. I think we captains as a whole ... round down. Good math though. I hope it clears everything up for you.

8. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

BoomerBoy17 if you plan on fighiting mwc or ircwcc go with the 1/8 stringer instead of 1/4.

ADM Stokomoto

9. BoomerBoy17

thanks craig, ill see where i want that extra 1/8", and thanks Curt, i knew that

10. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Just making sure...lol

Adm Stokomoto

11. Craig

Craig Active Member

*confusion* extra 1/8" ??? what's that bud?

12. BoomerBoy17

Craig, when you did the math, you got 18.52 ribs, right? thats 17 x 1/4" ribs and 1 x 3/8" rib. ill use anything i can get

13. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Hmmmm I didn't think of using 1 rib as a 3/8. Good thing I didin't cut it out yet.

ADM STOKOMOTO

14. BoomerBoy17

ok, glad to help, hahaha, sound funny coming from me

15. Bob Pottle

Bob Pottle Well-Known Member

Boomer,
    I routinely mix rib sizes (1/4" and 3/16") to get enough of them. My rule of thumb is to have the ribs spaced a constant distance apart. (Though some people will put a few more in the bow where hits are more dangerous I don't.) I do not exceed a 'window' width of 2.5". Keeping the ribs close together produces a better result when sheeting.

Bob

16. BoomerBoy17

thanks bob, will take into consideration

17. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Hey Boomer you can go out to 4 in apart to min 1nc between rib centers. There's really no exact science to what is the best. Depends on several factors. Your style of battling, the battlefield on the water, your opponents style of battle ect ect.
    No one way is perfect. Your oppoents skills also can also determine if your placement works. Either way assess all the options and go with what you think will work for you

Adm Stokomoto

18. BoomerBoy17

there are many variables and im taking as much as i can into consideration

19. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Good man!That's the way to do it.

Adm Stokomoto

20. BoomerBoy17

thanks. oh, before i forget, ahem.... The New DKM Deutschland will be arriving in Thibault Shipyards for a continuation of the shipbuilding process tomorrow. Unless Fedex messes up, then they will be in big trouble....just kidding. Completion is slated for some time near the end of next year, with funding and scheduling being major variables.