Captain Thibault's First Ship

Discussion in 'Atlantic Radio Control Club' started by BoomerBoy17, Oct 16, 2008.

1. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Boomer the details are easy. Anything goes and they are usually already made for ya. Most of the detail I use are just household items or thingy bobs that I find. Simpe but effective and less time consuming and of course..EXPENDABLE!

ADM STOKOMOTO

2. BoomerBoy17

BoomerBoy17 Active Member

***UPDATE***ok guys, today was my first ever build day and it will continue into tomorrow. I bought 1/4" birch plywood to use for the subdeck, superstructure and waterchannel(sides). I bought PVC piping and elbows to make a travel box, then proceeded to make it in 10 minutes. Fits perfectly. Next i got DAP self-leveling concrete crack sealer for the waterchanneling. Lastly, i got Dremel cutoff wheels, bits, 1/4" tape and googles and surgical masks. Today i made the travel box, where my beautiful Admiral Sheer currently sits, and then my father and i taped out one side, and i did the other. Tomorrow, after church, i will be cutting it out. Next week, i am looking to make the subdeck, and hopefully, i can put it in, if i can find some epoxy. Today was a great day and the first ever for building. I cant wait for tomorrow, but sorry guys, no pictures. After im done posting here, i will be double and triple checking the tape. Until later, Will***

Also, this was taped to craig's idea, except that the front ribs are a little farther apart, and all the middle ribs are relatively evenly spaced.

3. Craig

Craig Active Member

Mr. Koolaid impression "OH YA!" Congrats Will! Can't wait to see the pics.... just make sure the people/group you play with adhere to your construction of the Sheer! I would change my armor belt to the 1/8 stringer for IRCWCC, unless you are moving our way soon.... :) Anyways congrats captain you are on your way.... I will be posting my pics soon of the Bis' refit. Stay Tuned!

4. BoomerBoy17

Ok, everything was cut out, and it only took 2 hours. It went well, and there was only a few minor mistakes. But, to patch these, can i use epoxy? Also, should i use wood to support the stringer? in 2 weeks, i will be sanding the ribs down to proper size, and i may be cutting out the subdeck and superstructure pieces that ive made. Thanks, but no pics.

5. BoomerBoy17

So far the subdeck is cut out and currently being straightened after some minor warping. also, super structure decks cut out. Moving forward with the build at all head flank speed soon after Xmas when my BC order comes in (after, of course, i place the order).

6. BoomerBoy17

Just bought a harware kit with a 2:1 output:input gearbox, triple sterns, and a large pump with a 1/2 unit restrictor from BC. I also have a waterproof, micro-sized servo for my rudder and NiHM batteries(soon to be delivered). Build will be progressing shortly.

7. Nate G

Nate G Well-Known Member

Next i got DAP self-leveling concrete crack sealer for the waterchanneling.

Having built a Lutzow for IRCWCC, I worry that this product may be too heavy for water channel. Has anyone used it in a light ship like this??

8. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

How light? I used it in a Lutzow and a Gloire light cruiser to good effect. Remember, the smaller the ship, the less leveling sealant you actually use. Both ships are under max weight ... the Gloire is actually a pound under max weight.

9. BoomerBoy17

Im not going to ue it for a large area, in fact, it wont be much at all.

10. BoomerBoy17

Battlers Connection Kits(hardware, gun and pump) came in today, but i didnt see it, because its at my dad's house. I will update after this weekend with more information.

11. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Great I will probalby get mine in a couple of weeks.

12. BoomerBoy17

Cool. Ill talk more about it monday or sunday.