Cargo Tubs

Discussion in 'Washington Cascade Column' started by Hovey, Apr 22, 2010.

1. Hovey

Hovey Admiral (Supporter)

We could penalize the team that rams points equal to the transports value whether it sinks or not. Or if we decide that we really like this idea I could design a second generation hull that has built in bumpers to help protect the target area from an impact.

2. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

I dont know how youd rig bumpers that would still allow it to be shot in the interesting areas.

3. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member

The penalty points alone should be enough to keep people from ramming the tubs.

4. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member

I was thinking, maybe we should have RC Convoy Ships. It would be a good way to get more passerbys to get interested. Or friends that tag along. I know more people would be inclined to stay and learn about the hobby if they were handed a remote and told they were in control of a ship.

5. Hovey

Hovey Admiral (Supporter)

Already thought of and talked to several captains about it. In a nut shell we need two things to make it happen. First, a reason to have cargo ships in the first place. I think my scenario idea solves that but it needs to be tested or we can go with something else if we decide we don't like it. And second, we need more captains since I doubt any of us on this forum would be willing to step down to a merchantman.
    I would like to get some rc convoy ships to compliment the fleet of tubs. That way there are a lots of targets to shoot up and I think it would be a great way to get people involved for far less than the cost of an armed warship. My wife wants to run a RMS Mauretania for us so that is one more captain once I get the hull built. That is assuming we like running transports, since she doesn't want to run a warship.

6. NickMyers

Well, I've got the Maru nearly in seaworthy condition, and assuming it actually handles reasonably, I wouldn't object to loaning it during events, but I don't think many random passerbys want to run a a cargo ship - they want to shoot things, and if they cant shoot, I'd wager 50% of them will try to ram something.

7. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member

I am pretty sure that my mom or girlfriend would like to run a convoy ship. My mom was actually talking about getting a US Ship maybe a class 3. I dont know yet. I posted a topic about trying to get more people into the club.

8. phill

phill Active Member

Ok, this means I really need to drag out the Fond-du-Lac. I think she needs a gear and chain set to connect to the rudder and a new 7ah battery and new AA's for the transmitter.

9. NickMyers

If you've got the Fond du Lac and I've got the Maru seaworthy we've got a good start. I suspect Dan may be back next battle and if we have 2 operational cargos we might be able to run a convoy game next battle.

10. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member

That would be really cool to have a convoy campain. My mom is coming she will probably want to captain one if there are no takers.

11. jamesyoung

jamesyoung Member

> but I don't think many random passerbys want to run a a cargo ship - they want to shoot things, and if they cant shoot, I'd wager 50% of >them will try to ram something.

I respectfully disagree: I have attended several events before I started building my ship, and would have loved to have gotten my hands on a remote, of anything, even if it didn't have guns. Also I've taken my gunless ship out on the pond a half dozen times now, and there's usually someone fishing there who mentions how cool it looks, and I immediately hand over the controls. sthey always tool around for 5-10 minutes, and that's just with the one ship out there. I know if I said, here's a target ship, try and keep away from me, they'd run that for a half hour or longer before picking up thier rod.
    I've also had several fishermen offer to hook a line on there and go trolling :)
    James

12. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member

I have to agree. Most people would love to just drive something around even if it doesnt shoot. I am thinking about getting a oiler or convoy ship.