Carl's Mehoshi Maru - Revisited

Discussion in 'Ship Plans' started by NickMyers, Feb 25, 2009.

1. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

I think he means he converts some of the 1/4inch ribs to 1/8inch in place, rather than adding more - thus he has the same # of ribs but less solid area dedicated to them.

I was thinking about converting a few ribs down to 1/8, but I had hoped to keep them all a standard thickness to make the plans simpler for anyone else that might be interested in them.

2. NickMyers

Ok, question for you guys. The IRCWCC rules stipulate a minimum 1inch gap between ribs and a maximum solid area at the stern of 1inch. Is there a minimum gap between that solid area and the aftmost rib?
    In my case, if I have an inch solid at the stern, the aftmost rib is about 1/4inch away right now, do I have to move the aft rib or can I be lazy for the time being? I know I SHOULD move the rib, I just don't want to shift it and interpolate a new size for it. :(

[​IMG]

3. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Sorry bout that! We were working on Zack's VDT this weekend, and had to shrink the forward impenetrable area to stay legal... So I feel your pain, but that's the way it's gotta be.

As far as what I meant, I meant that if I lay out the ribs where I like them, and I find that I've got 1/4" too much solid area, I make two ribs 1/8" vice 1/4" and become legal again. Key point is changing two ribs that are NOT where you'll be butting two pieces of balsa together.

On the other hand, for some peculiar shapes in the hull, like sharp angles on the vertical edges of armor belts, I'll make that rib on the corner 3/8" to ensure that I've got enough wood to glue balsa to.

The key for me is to ensure that I'm legal in my solid area while still staying easy to sheet. If it's not legal, there's no point in doing the work :)

4. NickMyers

So I'm pretty much going to have to move the rib or reduce the aft impenetrable to basically nothing? :(

5. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

Ok, got you Clark, I was just not sure that was what you were trying to say. Hows Zack VDT looking, last time I saw it he was doing a super job on it?

6. NickMyers

Latest progress.
    • Removed several ribs in order to meet solid area requirements.
    • Shifted the 3 remaining after-most ribs and interpolated new sizes for them.
    • Modeled the caprail pieces. Their edges as the hullform curves are rough, but oversized so that they can be sanded down to proper curvature during construction.

Semi-Isometric view
    [​IMG]
    View of the starboard side
    [​IMG]
    View from the bottom up
    [​IMG]

PDF copies of plans are linked below (page sizes as indicated)
    Data Sheet - Legal (8.5x14)
    CapRail - Bow - Legal (8.5x14)
    CapRail - Midsection - Custom 22x8.5
    CapRail - Stern - Legal (8.5x14)
    Keel - Bow - Legal (8.5x14)
    Keel - Midsection - Custom 22x8.5
    Keel - Stern - Legal (8.5x14)
    Ribs - Legal (8.5x14) (3 pages)
    Note: If you have access to a 8.5inch wider banner printer (old dot matrix tractor feed in my case) you can print these off all in a string on continous paper - no need to visit Kinkos. With the exception of the midsection pieces, everything fits on Legal sized pages, which most laser printers can make use of, and if you had the right piece of software, you could split the midsection pieces into two pages each and print them on a standard laser printer as well.

7. BoomerBoy17

BoomerBoy17 Active Member

looks really good Nick, hope to see more, maybe actual wood, although the CAD drawings are pretty sweet

8. NickMyers

Thanks Will. You may get your wish - am probably going to be doing some cutting today. I'll post pictures if I do. :)

9. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Nick, check your deck profile. The deck profile is supposed to be a smooth curve, only broken by the step in the deck. Your profile shows three distinct wiggles. Before you start cutting wood, I suggest you investigate the issue.

Other than the deck issue, looking great!

10. NickMyers

Good eye! It was semi - intentional actually. I got lazy when I was doing that section of the model and just ran the edges from rib notch to rib notch with the assumption that I'd clean it up on the printout before cutting.

11. CaptainCook

CaptainCook Member

Wow, these are looking really great. I'm sure they will be lots of help to anyone who is building a Mehoshi or another tanker. Do you plan to make up plans like this for other ships?

12. NickMyers

Yes, I probably will be. I will probably model most that I'm interested in, hopefully do a little better job than I did on this one - this was mostly just a 'remember how to use Solidworks again' project and I cut some corners. Most likely if I model it I'll put plans up for it. I still haven't decided how detailed I want to go on the 3d models, it will likely vary ship to ship.

Hopefully someone besides me gets some use out of these, but if not atleast I will. :)

13. NickMyers

Just a quick note that I haven't abandoned this. I slipped down to my Dad's shop last weekend and liberated some scrap 1/4inch from the scrap bin and cut some ribs out on the scroll saw, but I was a little short on material and time. I've solved the materials problem but haven't had the time to do anything else with it. Hopefully this weekend I can finish cutting the ribs and rails and do some fit testing. Don't have any pictures yet, but will once more is finished.

14. BoomerBoy17

BoomerBoy17 Active Member

Dont you just love liberating garbage to use on your boat?
    Ive found at least half a dozen thing i plan on using in my boat that was to be canned.

15. NickMyers

Twasn't garbage, just scrap material. :)

But yes, I'm a big fan of watching whats about to go in the can and salvaging useful things. The other day my buddy and I noticed someone dumpstered an intact computer in our apartment's dumpster. It had some ram I could use for an older box I have and a harddrive he had a use for. Can't beat the price! (And no, the dumpster was not filthy and stinky, but yes, I did wash my new ram thoroughly (and my hands)). If you're looking for wood, especially 1/8inch, check cabinetry shops during the non-rainy times of the year. Some will put out some sizable chunks of scrap lumber& plywood for the trash.

16. NickMyers

Started a build thread here.