Carl's Takao Build

Discussion in '1/96 Battlestations' started by dietzer, Apr 26, 2012.

1. dietzer

dietzer Admiral (Supporter)

BTW, does anyone know a good place to get a quart of MEK?

I was planning on using Bat's method of skinning using a 50/50 mix of MEK and contact adhesive. But my local Lowes doesn't carry the quart size MEK anymore -- they only carry a gallon size MEK substitute that sells for like $20. I'll probably never use up a quart of MEK, let alone a gallon!

2. Kun2112

Kun2112 Active Member

I would check Menards and Ace. I've gone through almost two quarts of MEK the past two seasons--granted one quart was at a build session where Bat sheeted a dozen boats it seemed (including a 1:96 Iowa). MEK does tend to evaporate also.
    If your LiFe cells don't arrive in time, I have LiFe cells not in use at the moment. I can provide 4600mAh @ 12.8V or 9200mAh @ 6.4V. My 12v SLA died, so I currently don't have a way to balance charge them (They are A123 Racing Hypersonics whose charger can only pull of 12-18V DC). I can charge, but they will not get optimum performance. They are rated at 30C continuous and 60C peak.
    I have a fresh 50' roll of 1/16" clippard hose and about 25' of 1/8" hose that you are welcome to as long as I have another boat to shoot at. :p

3. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Heh. In my 1/144 POW, I just finished running 3/8" copper line to the guns. I will likely do the same on Macon when I start outfitting her. Probably overkill. And @Carl: I want to see some pics in 'Carl's Two-Cows Build'... Moooo :)

4. froggyfrenchman

froggyfrenchman Well-Known Member

I just picked up a quart of MEK at Menards.
    Carl Are you tied up this weekend? We are building over here. Try to come over.
    Mikey

5. dietzer

I'd love to, Mikey, but I'll be out of town this weekend. We're doing a (very) last minute family mini-vacation to Tennessee. We leave this afternoon, and I won't be back until late on Monday.

It's good to have the family time (we need it after some recent events), but I will miss the 3+ days of building I could have gotten done this weekend.

I'll check Menards for the MEK. Thanks for the tip.

6. dietzer

Woohoo! More good news! The batteries, battery holders, and terminals just arrived!

7. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Score!

8. dietzer

OK, time to start posting some pictures.
    [​IMG]
    The just-assembled hull on top of page of the scaled up Myco plans.

[​IMG]
    This is how close the end of the stuffing tube comes to the water channel keels.

[​IMG]
    Stern layout.

[​IMG]
    More internal layout. The LiFePO4 cells will go where the gell cell is sitting. I didn't have the LiFe batteries when this pic was taken.

[​IMG]
    Placement of 12 oz CO2 bottle and location of forward guns. I was going to put the LiFe batteries on either side of the CO2 bottle, but the spacing is a little tight there. W/o the batteries along side the CO2 bottle, I have enough room to put in a 20oz CO2 bottle!

As you can see from my internal layout pics, I can't move the motors forward any, let alone far enough to make a simple direct drive work. So I've got to make belt drive units for the motors.

9. NASAAN101

NASAAN101 Well-Known Member

Carl,
    She's Looking great!
    Nikki

10. John Hernandez

John Hernandez New Member

That's great work

11. NASAAN101

NASAAN101 Well-Known Member

God she's big :)
    Nikko