Cheap, light, debris screen for pump that you may have already

Discussion in 'Research and Development' started by Kun2112, May 23, 2010.

1. Kun2112

Kun2112 Active Member

Fiberglass drywall tape. It is a mesh very similar to a bug screen, but with larger holes. I had some laying around from when I built an ultralight backpacking cookpot out of a 24oz beer-can. I wasgoing to try a tobacco pipe screen I had for plastic model detail, then I saw the tape. You have to tack it on to the inlet with CA because the adheasive is not that strong, but I pull-tied a section over the end of a PVC pipe and let it set underwater for 22 hours. The integrity of the mesh was just fine. When I am ready to test my pump, I will let it run as long as I can keep feeding it water, and I will post the results of immersion plus flow pressures/vibration.

2. froggyfrenchman

froggyfrenchman Well-Known Member

Nice find.
    It looks good too. I really hope it works out, because I want to start using it. I always hated glueing the screen on my pumps.
    Mikey

3. Buddy

Buddy Active Member

Also try fish tank filters, you seperate it down size and you can get a lot out of just one filter.
    Buddy

4. Jay Jennings

Jay Jennings Well-Known Member

I'm with Buddy. I took the particulate filter, cut it into 1/2 inch slabs and then Gooped it into the Scharnhorst. I made a nice little box with it and nothing but water got into my pump. It may not be as practical in small boats but works well in boats with a bit of room.
    J

5. Knight4hire

Knight4hire Active Member

You just gave me an idea.
    I wonder how Fiberglass drywall tape, attached to foamy would work as a blast shield?
    This may work for small boats that can not handle a heavy blast shield.

6. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

That IS a good idea!