Looking For Cheap starter ship

Discussion in 'Buy, Sell and Trade' started by Tyler, Jun 25, 2017.

1. Tyler

Tyler New Member

I'm new to all of this stuff and I am looking for a good cheap starter ship

2. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

You meet up with the SAS folk yet? @Tugboat
    Local groups are often the best source for this and youre pretty much on top of SAS.

3. Tyler

Tyler New Member

What's sas ?... Sorry new

4. NickMyers

No need to apologize. SAS is the shorthand for Southeast Attack Squadron. They're the group most local to you. They battle in Statesboro. You're basically a hop and a skip from @Tugboat's Workshop (The Happiest Place On Earth I'm told). Also why I tagged him. I take it from your response then that you have not met up with any local battlers yet?

5. Tyler

Tyler New Member

No basically I have no experience with this but I have flown quad copters and RC planes

6. NickMyers

Well you'll definitely want to meet up with the locals then. Excellent group. They can set you on the path to great triumphs, I strongly suggest that you don't buy anything until you've had a chance to meet and greet and find out whats available local.

7. Tyler

Tyler New Member

I will but I'm 16 so I might have to wait a few years before I can do anything, in that mater do u happen to have a design or blueprint to build a destroyer wood hull or whatever the regular ship is?

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
  8. Tyler

Tyler New Member

Because I could build it by the time I would be old enough to get into the hobby

9. Lou

Lou It's just toy boats -->> C T D <<-- Admiral (Supporter)

Like NIck said, don't buy anything until you get a chance to meet the local guys. This is a link to a fletcher/sumner kit produced in GA, now with 3/8th added to the bottom (makes it more stable)
    http://vac-u-boat.com/Vac-U-FletcherCombat.htm

10. NickMyers

You may need some parental support, or some other form of family if you want to get in before 18, if only from a liability standpoint. Destroyers are generally "too small" in our common 144 scale. Heavy cruisers and up are more typical. Though there is a neat little destroyer kit being worked on down that way. Its on here somewhere with a build thread or two I think. Check @Beaver's Suffren class heavy cruiser build. Believe he also posted plans for that in the resources section.

11. NickMyers

ahh timing! this is the destroyer kit

12. Lou

Most think of the destroyer as being a "cheaper" way to get into the hobby, as well as it's so small it should not take that much to build. Nothing could be further from the truth :)
    With the destroyer kit we are trying to reduce the cost of entry with a hull that should last one season depending on how often you battle. That being said, don't buy anything until you get a chance to talk and see the boats. If you think you will not have time now to attend a "local-ish" battle to see and talk, then more than likely you will not find time in the future to battle.
    Get over to Tuggy's shop and see the fun first hand, then order and build the destroyer if that is what you really want.

13. Tyler

Tyler New Member

Well I probably couldn't afford one now but do u have a link to a hull design so I can build one out of wood I can find at Lowe's (won't be able to get fiberglass), then later I will buy the other stuff .... Also in those building kits does everything come in them( cannons ,engine, receiver, etc) ?

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
  14. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

Save you the digging.
    Suffren Build
    And the plans.
    FN Suffren Plans

15. Lou

Open the PDF and read through all the pages. On page 3 you will see KIT CONTENTS

16. Tyler

Tyler New Member

17. SteveT44

SteveT44 Well-Known Member

Tyler, welcome to the hobby. Like others have recommended, check out the local club. Great bunch of guys and their very active. Someone may even have an old boat you could rehab (that's how I got into the hobby). Unless your an experienced scratch builder, don't go the DD route unless your thinking of the Fletcher kit. When thinking of building your own boat, don't get fixated on just the hull construction (which is the easiest part). Think of the hull as just the shell you wrap around the real model, the propulsion, cannons, electrical, and gas supply systems. Look through the many well documented build threads on this site for a wealth of information.

Your local club: http://www.southeastattacksquadron.org

Lou likes this.
  18. Tyler

Tyler New Member

That would be great if some one let me have their old ship that I could repair ,but either way I am very interested in this ,I have a neighbor my age that's semi rich (I bet he would be interested in this hobby )if I get one he will obviously try to one up me and get a better one ,so I will enjoy trying to sink his ship

19. Tyler

Tyler New Member

14985040414801330953551.jpg I have worked on fake models... Wood (top left) , and plastic (front and top right )

20. ish311

ish311 Active Member

If you can make it over to a battle in Statesborough Ga I could be convinced to give you my Kongo minus it's cannons , receiver, and battery(it's in a non boat related project) so you would just have to fix the motor mounts and install new guns and a battery and plug in a new receiver and you would be good to go.