Class 2 ships for beginners?

Discussion in 'Ship Comparison' started by Murchisonge, Nov 27, 2013.

1. Murchisonge

Murchisonge Active Member

Hello all,
    I have been thinking about building a ship, and wanted something no one has. What do you guys think about a class 2 ship as a first time build? I will have a pile of time before I can get to a battle, so I figured that I may as well build one that is unique. I was thinking perhaps the IJN Sendai? It would have two shafts, 1 rudder, and a max weight of 7.3 pounds. Any thoughts on whether or not this is a terrible or not so terrible idea? Thanks guys.
    Cheers,
    Garrett

2. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

class 2s tend to be small and require additional expense and skill to construct as often the standard bits and pieces are too big or too heavy for them

really can't recommend one as a beginner ship

3. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

Generally speaking something that small isn't the best idea for a first ship. The weight and space constraints will make is significantly more difficult than something a larger, a larger class 3 or a class 4 is probably a better starting point. Of course if you have a lot of RC building experience class 2 may be more realistic. Class 3 heavy cruisers are good choices since they have decent space/weight, capable armament, and enough speed to get out of trouble. Class 4 Battlecrusiers are also good, slight more complex/costly due to the extra unit but plenty of space/weight and significant firepower so you probably wont get bored of it and want a new ship as fast, they are significantly slower than a crusier but you get much better turning.

4. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

I like the lasercut Baltimore class cruiser. If you want Axis, there's a Takao class cruiser, also lasercut. Snipe's advice is good, too :)

5. Murchisonge

Thanks. I have thought about the Takao kit and even about the one that is for sale in the for sale section. I have looked at all manner of ships to begin with, but I seem to have a hell of a time making up my mind. Thanks for the help guys. I'll keep ya posted.

Cheers

6. Swiss Cheeze

Swiss Cheeze Member

Yes making up the mind with so many to choose from is very hard.

7. NickMyers

That's how we all end up with so many projects :)

8. Swiss Cheeze

Swiss Cheeze Member

Well I guess to make it easier is to just start from a and work your way too z making 1 of each along the way.

9. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

Yes, picking is one of the hardest parts, but there are some things that make it easier. One of the things that I pick ships for is beauty. Things that you think make a ship look prettier, like super structure, or how many turrets, and where they're placed, make a big difference on your thinking. I like to pick ships more for beauty, than for a ship that will sink everybody else. Plus, if you like the way a ship looks, you won't want to go out and build another one too soon. Cruisers are the best starter boats out there. Usually, heavy cruisers, or the ones that start will 'battle' are the best. Lucky for most of us, there are lots of pretty ships in that group. :)
    Here is a list of most of the best starter boats. Some are pretty, and some, not so much, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

USS Brooklyn http://www.strikemodels.com/products/ships/uss-brooklyn/

DKM Prinz Eugen http://battlersconnection.com/html/PrinzEugen.htm

FN Suffren http://battlersconnection.com/html/suffren.html

USS Des Moines http://battlersconnection.com/html/desmoines.html

USS Northampton http://www.strikemodels.com/products/ships/uss-northampton/

HMS Invincible http://www.strikemodels.com/products/ships/hms-invincible/

SMS Defflinger http://www.strikemodels.com/products/ships/sms-derfflinger/

SMS Von Der Tan http://battlersconnection.com/html/vdt.html

DKM Lutzow http://www.strikemodels.com/products/ships/dkm-lutzow/

When I picked my first ship, I wasn't too studied up on all the different ships out there, so it was a pretty easy to pick Suffren, but now that I know how many different ships that are out there to build, I can see your dilemma. If I could go back and pick another ship to build, I'm certain it would be an Invincible battlecruiser. I just love those ships.

So, I wish you the best of luck picking your ship, and remember, try to pick a ship that you like. ;)

~B~

10. Murchisonge

Thank you guys for the help. I guess I will throw out some of the things I would like in a ship, and go from there. I like dual cannons/turrets, because seeing two barrels coming out of a triple turret throws me off. I like simpler super structures, and would like to have an even number of units for the guns. For example, no 1 unit gun with a 1.5 unit gun in a dual firing position (like the Graf Spee for MWC). Any suggestions that would fit this description are welcome.

Cheers

11. NickMyers

duals and simple superstructures... that points directly to WW1 era ships in my mind. Look at ships such as the Invincible, Von Der Tann, Konig

12. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

I would make the following suggestion (not always a popular one)... Pick your first ship based only on something that can be effective without tons of experience where you are and that has a proven reliable setup you can copy from a local. this will get you on the water the fastest with a reliable ship. The game gets very frustrating for first timers generally if their ship is unreliable and/or something that is hard to effectively battle. Pick reliability of the build over all other factors for your first ship.
    Shamelessly copy setups that work, do not experiment on your first ship unless you like building and sinking more than battling.

Once that ship is on the water working well, build your second based on what you want/like. Experiment with the second since the first will always be there as a workhorse.

13. Hovey

Hovey Admiral (Supporter)

I agree with Greg, reliability directly translates in to fun. I think any of the above ships make good starter ships but whatever ship you pick, copy how you locals build theirs. A working ship is way more fun than poorly reinventing the wheel. Learn how things work and then try a harder build. Class 2 ships pack a lot of systems into a small space with a small displacement making them only suitable to builders who really know what they are doing. You may have the skills to pull it off already but I would not recommend them as a first build.

Any of the above ships can mount dual sterns. The Suffren and Lutzow both fit your requirements and are decent ships in their own rights (nod to Suffren for better turning). As cruisers they are easy builds that shouldn't break the bank and get you on the water. Battle cruisers offer sidemounts which makes for a more balanced/capable ship, so you might not want another ship as quickly. But build something and get some experience on the water, what you think you like now may change as you gain battle experience.

14. Tugboat

Nod to the Suffren for rules that unfairly penalize the Lutzow in MWC.

15. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

Also in a nod to von Tugboat; the Scharnhorst class armored cruisers can make a very good showing for themselves. Very roomy hulls for a Class 2.

16. Tugboat

Indeed. Lil Scharnie is a very robust lil ship, and relatively heavy for a class 2 ship. Of all boats I've built, she is most forgiving of foolish errors.

17. Tugboat

Indeed. Lil Scharnie is a very robust lil ship, and relatively heavy for a class 2 ship. Of all boats I've built, she is most forgiving of foolish errors.

18. Hovey

Hovey Admiral (Supporter)

Yes Lil'Sharnie would be a good starter boat as well with good interior volume, displacement, decent speed, maneuverability, and lots of hard area. Plus she has some fun options for gun placement. Someday I will build one myself, but probably more for use as a loaner ship. My life goal seems to be collecting most of the German high seas fleet.

19. Tugboat

Hovey,my friend, there are worse goals in life :)

20. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

Indeed!