Class 2 ships for beginners?

Discussion in 'Ship Comparison' started by Murchisonge, Nov 27, 2013.

1. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

Ah, the High Sea Fleet, my most favorite bunch of ships out there. Those Germans really have the knack at building pretty ships. :)

Beaver

P.S. I would have put Scharny on the list, but thought that since it has all those casemates, it wouldn't be the best starter boat.

2. absolutek

absolutek -->> C T D <<--

It probably isn't the best starter boat, it is difficult to cut out, and the working area inside is cramped.

3. Bob Pottle

Bob Pottle Well-Known Member

There are only a few Class 2 ships large enough to be easily built, such as the 2.5 unit HMS Enterprise CL, Soviet Krasni Kavkaz 'CA' and Profintern Class CLs. They could all be armed with a single 1.5 unit stern cannon and 1.0 unit pump or two 1.0 unit cannons and a 1/2 unit pump. If CO2 capsules are used there's plenty of room for the equipment.
    Only the Profintern hull is available in fiberglass but I'm reworking the plug for a more accurate model at present. The original hull was deepened by 3/8" for the allowed extra displacement for Class 2 ships under IRCWCC rules and that won't be changed. The hull should be available (produced by someone else) in early 2014. Profintern is unique in having 4 main armament bow casemate guns close to the water and two more casemates aft. It can carry up to four 1/2 unit spurt guns, or 2 normal cannons and a 1/2 unit pump.
    if there's enough interest I could make fiberglass hulls available for the Enterprise and Krasni Kavkaz.

4. buttsakauf

buttsakauf Well-Known Member

I would also add the Java (Sumatra) Class, Leipzig Class, and Omaha Class as possibilities. All have their relative merits. I however really like the Profintern and look forward to its availability. We exchanged emails a bit ago Bob. I will inquire further later.

5. Bob Pottle

Hi Mike,
    I looked at the Java Class but think it's too small/light for most people to want to build. The Dutch De Ruyter (sp.?) is bigger, attractive and good 1/144 hull plans are available. The Omaha CL is much like the Profintern re gun placement options but is longer and I think it has only 1 rudder.
    I commissioned the Profintern plug and mold several years ago, as you know, but was so unhappy with the ($500) result I made only two hulls and sold only one (the buyer didn't care about the inaccuracies). I cut off the incorrect sponson parts on the second hull and re-did them in fiberglass using balsa molds. It took so long it wasn't feasible to make, correct and sell the hulls. The four main armament quarterdeck sponsons were the wrong shape and depth, the bow was too skinny, the bow casemate gun embrasures were slightly asymmetrical in width and the tip of the bow was 1/16" too low.
    Over the last few weeks the incorrect sponsons have been cut off the hull plug and replaced with accurate ones, the upper bow has been thickened and raised 1/16", and the stern skeg thickened for more strength and easier laying up of fiberglass. The next step is to widen the starboard bow embrasure to match the port. That will correct the errors and the plug will get a few coats of Zinser sealer/primer and be sanded smooth. That process will take until January, the project having been delayed by too much work at my 'real' job.
    When complete the plug will be sold and the Profintern hull put into production. With 15 main armament guns (6 in casemates, 4 on side sponsons and 5 deck guns) It has potential for a variety of armament types and placements (and 2 rudders too). I want to build Profintern as a potential battleship killer/shore target defence ship for IRCWCC convoy battles. With up to four 1/2 unit bow spurt guns (total of 40 BBs) close to the waterline in the bow casemates it could attack battleships that are stationary while shooting at the magnetic shore targets.

6. buttsakauf

buttsakauf Well-Known Member

Sounds like a winner:) I've been itching for a Russian ship for a long time!

7. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

Sounds fantastic!

8. Murchisonge

Murchisonge Active Member

Thank you for all the help guys. I gave my wife a list of ships as a Christmas idea. The list included the Konig, VDT, the SMS Scharnhorst, the Invincible and the Exeter. I suppose that now it is all in her hands. I have decided to go with a fiberglass kit for my first boat due to the simplicity and the extra internal hull volume vs scratch built. Thanks again for all the help guys.

Cheers

9. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

SMS Scharnhorst for the win! It fits in the trunk and cheaper to outfit than the others. And harder to sink :)

10. Murchisonge

Well, it is in the bosses hands now. Either way, my first scratch build is going to be the Edgar Quinet, so that I can have two ships in the area to try and generate more interest in the hobby. and two armored cruisers would be a good start...

11. Beaver

Not that it matters much, but I would love to see a Konig be built.

~B~

12. Murchisonge

Ya, I like the look of the Konig Class as well. It was certainly the most challenging ship on the list.

13. Beaver

I wouldn't put Konig as the hardest on my list. Scharny has a lot of interesting casemates. I have plans for her, and she looks like a bear to cut out. Not to mention sheeting.
    I think Tuggy knows best about trying to sheet a Scharnhorst. (I've heard stories) :)

Beaver

14. Anachronus

It is really not the casemates on a Scharnhorst that are the problem. It's the sponsons for the 88mm guns.

15. absolutek

absolutek -->> C T D <<--

As someone who finished a Scharnhorst armoured cruiser this year, I beg to differ. They are all around hard to cut windows in. BC could ship it with a stamp slapped on the side it is so thick.

16. Anachronus

Yep, Strike's Duke of Edinburgh is the same way. :D

17. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

All the more reason for me to finish my Rostock and print predreads ready to sheet :)

If one wants an easy hull to sheet, I-boat is the easiest battlecruiser, followed by Lion. The German BCs are easy, too.

18. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

I've wanted a Krasni Kavkaz for years.

19. Bob Pottle

You should be able to buy a Profintern/ Krasni Krim hull soon. I donated the hull plug to Strike Models a few months ago and Stephen Mogret recently told me the hulls will available in the near future.
    My next hull project is the Class 3 Frobisher/Hawkins Class heavy cruiser.