Class one regulator.

Discussion in 'Weapons & Pneumatics' started by rcaircraftnut, Jan 26, 2018.

1. rcaircraftnut

rcaircraftnut Well-Known Member

2. buttsakauf

buttsakauf Well-Known Member

Also they have micro rock regulators with a 3/8” adapter built in for about $100. Only a 2.3” long regulator.

3. SteveT44

SteveT44 Well-Known Member

I'd pass on the Rock regs. They have a smaller diameter piston than BC's (and other Williams based regs) and won't be as stable. I was discussing the BC reg with Charley one day and he hinted that he could do a version for screw on caps. Maybe if enough interest was shown by all us DD's captains?????

4. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

I'd buy one for sure! :)

5. Lou

Lou It's just toy boats -->> C T D <<-- Admiral (Supporter)

I would be in for a couple as well as a few others in the Atlanta area

6. rcaircraftnut

I like the adapter as I can remove it and use the reg in other boats. I am known to use quick disconnect fittings on my regs just for this reason. It is $40 per ship I can save.

7. buttsakauf

I disagree. There are far more factors that impact “stability” then just piston diameter. Is it piston or diaphragm based? Balanced or unbalanced? What materials are being used on hard and soft (sealing) parts? Stability is essentially a regulator’s ability to recover. The speed and accuracy with which it gets back to its setting helps each shot (in a projectile application) be consistent. I have had 2 different Williams regs, strike models, and palmers. All have performed admirably with proper maintenance. I have never had a failure.

Anecdote: If a Palmer rock reg can keep up with a .68 caliber paintball marker (closed bolt) at 14 balls per second. With an observed velocity variation of only 17fps. It is more than adequate for what we do. Paintball regulator can get much better than that. However I was pushing it.

Secondary anecdote: My air america reg could keep it under 8fps variance at 15bps. And 20-25fps variance at 22-24bps.

Don’t judge... I am a bit old school. All this is to the best of my memory. I have a Bushmaster B2K and a Shocker Turbo. Those are 15-18yr old setups for those who don’t know. Those markers are what I tested on.

@mike5334 any input? I know we have discussed this at length in the past.

8. SteveT44

Maybe I should have been more specific and said Micro Rock reg. The Micro is based off the Autococker LPR which was meant to just supply pressure to mechanically cycle the Autococker which is a low flow and with little requirement to not go over a specific max PSI application. When comparing two unbalanced piston regs, the reg with the larger piston diameter will have better accuracy and faster recovery. This is due to the larger piston having a greater surface area in relation to the length of it's o-ring. Friction from the o-ring is what reduces reg accuracy. The bigger the piston, the less o-ring friction in relation to its surface area, and less pressure differential will be required to overcome the o-ring friction. This makes for a smoother and more accurate reg. Diaphragm designs (like welding regs) have no o-ring so these are the most accurate and stable (but to large for our applications). I used to rebuild regs (among other things) back in my Navy days so learned a bit about them.

buttsakauf likes this.
  9. buttsakauf

Word. I dabbled in the pneumatics side when on the sub, but my experience was more in hydraulics. A lot of my base pneumatics knowledge is from tinkering and paintball. I’ve never used a micro rock specifically. But, I would be desirous to test one for low RoF applications.

10. SteveT44

Amazing what a Navy engineer learns. I was a gas turbine rating but also maintained steam, seawater, hydraulic, and pneumatics. Those e types up in their air conditioned spaces that only had to tinker with their little specific systems were wimps in comparison! ;)

rcaircraftnut and buttsakauf like this.
  11. rcaircraftnut

Certified pit snipe here. As an EM I had to know every system that used electricity in its entirety. Cant troubleshoot it if you know not how it works.

12. SteveT44

Our EM's were cool and even qualified to stand watches on the consoles in CCS. The dudes I'm talking about are the radar and sonar types. You know, the dudes sporting faded dungarees. Faded because they never had to replace them because they never got stained or torn! ;)

rcaircraftnut likes this.
  13. rcaircraftnut

My ET and FC buddies lol.

14. WillCover

WillCover -->> C T D <<--

AAAAAAAMMMM Ill have you know I tore my Dungarees racing to the mess line once!:laugh:...we were always busy fixing sh@t after the power would get dropped on us!....I went wrong somewhere my son ended up being a EM and on a sub:(.

rcaircraftnut and SteveT44 like this.
  15. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

As a ETR, I was always having to help the IC's, and EM with their work, not once did they help the ET's on my ship.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Sierra_(AD-18)

Don't Tread On Me
    Sierra was the oldest active duty warship prior to her decommissioning. As such, she was entitled to fly the "Don't Tread on Me" flag denoting her as such.

WillCover likes this.
  16. Panzer

Panzer Iron Dog Shipwerks and CiderHaus

Sonar peeps worked hydraulics, and pneumatics as well, Steve, you could have come rolled around under the 35 ivds winch anytime you wanted. The reason our dungerees faded was due to washing them. or didnt they send that memo to the GS's onboard your ship. Dang snipes complain about everything, next thing you know is they will want hot showers too!:rolleyes:
    USS Knox, Ainsworth,Lockwood, USS Petersen, Moosebrugger-Tin can sailors never die cuz we recycle. :laugh::laugh:
    Craig

WillCover likes this.