cleveland class gun placement

Discussion in 'Weapons & Pneumatics' started by jimmybeekeeper, Aug 6, 2014.

1. jimmybeekeeper

jimmybeekeeper Active Member

my question is pretty simple do have to mount the guns in this class in the stern if or can they be on the fore part of the ship

2. irnuke

irnuke -->> C T D <<--

Ruleset? I'll answer for the fastgun clubs:
    Cruiser-class vessels are required to have the guns either stern or bow. Sidemounts are disallowed as the narrow beam would cause the guns to elevate > horizontal when the ship heels over, presenting a hazard. So max of 15 degrees off the centerline, bow or stern.

3. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

You can have the guns in the front or back of the ship, so long as you don't have them more than 15* off of the centerline. For a cruiser, you really want the guns in the stern, not the bow. I won't go into detail why, because somebody has written two very good articles on it.

Why you should have the guns in the stern...http://www.scrapcombatships.com/commodore/tactics/strngun.html

Why you shouldn't have the guns in the bow...http://www.scrapcombatships.com/commodore/tactics/bowgun.html

Hope this helps.

B

4. jimmybeekeeper

thank you awesome article

5. jimmybeekeeper

hey how do you figure how much your boat can weigh or is that arbitrary iwc and treaty please

6. jch72

jch72 Active Member

Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
    Check the shiplist on either IRCWCC or MWCI website. They list a standard and a maximum weight.

Ron Hunt

7. jimmybeekeeper

8. rcengr

rcengr Vendor

Treaty calculates max and min the same way the other clubs do, although some ships will vary slightly between the lists because of different reference sources. The Treaty ship list is somewhere in the Treaty section on this site.

9. jimmybeekeeper

ok i understand after reading those fine articles what a billboard is now lol and why smaller tighter tuening boats have an advantage in a fight the question i have now is do they carry enough ammo to sink a larger ship or are we just talking points i have watched several videos but they are always cut and pasted so its hard to judge the amount of time and damage a boat takes before she sinks those pumps are pretty impressive and a bb hole is pretty small so im guessing itll take more than 5-10 rounds at or below the water line to put someone down i think im gonna go with the cleveland class to start with i like the fact i can make jeep carriers from them for convoy play

10. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

To be fair, the Independence class weren't really jeep carriers. That term applied to the merchant conversion CVEs. The CVLs were fleet carriers.

As far as the guns, sinking people with a cruiser isn't easy. It's certainly doable, but not easy or even overly likely. With a Cleveland I'd try to put the guns up in turret III so you can try to put a little down angle on them. You can also trim the model so the stern sits lower in the water, but you're going to have a difficult time putting holes below the waterline.

11. jimmybeekeeper

That was my thought as well OK thx