Clippard Maximatic Solenoid Valve

Discussion in 'Product Review' started by mike5334, May 28, 2008.

1. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

You won't need nearly 4AH for the Maximatics... 1AH should be fine for a whole morning (if not a whole day) of battling. I have converted Baden to Maximatics but have not done the testing yet. But they draw minimal power. I also use the ones with bigger outlets and then put in reducers to the small barbs on the outlet side, that way I can run 1/4" tubing all the way to the valve. Hooah.

2. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

Agree w/ Tugboat. The Richelieu which currently uses the Clippards has a old 10 cell, sub-c NiMH battery pack for power. Not even sure how many ah it is anymore ... probably around 2ah. Anyway, I usually charge once before the battle and don't have to worry for the rest of the weekend.

That said, the Clippards are coming out of the Richelieu this winter for a set of 6v Spartans. Most likely the Clippards will go into a 1/96th scale ship slated to run on 13.2v LiFE power.

3. dietzer

dietzer Admiral (Supporter)

Mike,

Which Spartans do you plan on using? Do you have a part number for them?

Thanks,

Carl

4. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

'Amp draw is not the problem with the Clips.'
    I was just pointing out that a smaller battery can be used. If its not SLA then it would have to be LIFE, nimh would be too many cells. I like the 9V diposable idea as I have seen it in action in the Westfalen, its small, cheap, and simple.

5. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Unless you're rediculously overvolting a solenoid, it's pretty hard to hurt the coil with a few extra volts. 7.2V wouldn't hurt a 6V solenoid a bit, nor would 14.4V hurt a 12V solenoid.

6. thegeek

thegeek Well-Known Member

I run my 6 volt kips on 12 volts and even when locked up they haven't failed yet and it's been 25 plus years on them.
    If I lock them on they get pistol hot but have never failed yet.