Clippard MME-2SDS Solenoids Leaking

Discussion in 'Weapons & Pneumatics' started by bsgkid117, Sep 15, 2013.

1. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

So I ordered a set of MME Maximatic series solenoid valves for my boats cannons after talking to some people and reading around online. I had seen that Clippards website said the solenoids were only rated to 105 psi, but after asking around again I was reassured that this part number was correct and currently in service on a number of boats. I got my solenoids and hooked them up and at 150 psi they leak.

So, I ask the people who use these solenoids. Am I doing something wrong? Has clippard changed the solenoid and you guys have an older version? I didn't lube them or anything just hooked them up and they leak right out the output until the pressure drops to around 110.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

Can you link to the exact part number you ordered and a picture of how it is plumbed?

3. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

http://www.clippard.com/part/MME-2SDS-W012

Thats the exact solenoid. They're stacked together into a brick of 3 solenoids that feed off 1 inbound line. They're not hooked up anymore, the MD guys loaned me a set of Spartans to use for the upcoming Regionals battle. I don't have a picture, but to describe I had a BC regulator (which we checked and was rock solid at 150psi) feeding into 1 1/8" line that fed the 3 stacked solenoids. Then they had 1/8" barbs on the outbounds.

They were leaking very clearly from the barb fittings. You could put your finger over the barb's tip and the hissing would stop, only to start again from one of the others.

Here's a pic of them on my desk set up in their brick configuration:

[​IMG]

In that pic the open hole you see is the inbound from the regulator. The three barbs go to the three guns. On the side you can't see (towards the black keyboard rest) is a plug.

4. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

Looks like Clippard changed the specs of thier solenoids. The MME-2PDS-W012 are now only listed as being rated for 115 PSIG vs 150 PSIG as they were a few years ago.
    That sucks.

5. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

Yeah I figured I was out of luck. The good news is I'll be set for battling with loaner solenoids, the bad news is now I've got to eat $100

I'm wondering if maybe it's just an issue of spring tension inside the solenoid, and if it could be solved with a slightly higher rate spring? But that would require either a lot of research that I don't think I'm skilled enough to do (measuring spring rates, sizes, etc) or lots of trial and error, which can get expensive.

6. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

Yeah mistakes can get expensive, I've blown way more than I care to admit on stupid mistakes in this hobby. If you haven't soldered/crimped anything on the wires you might be able to return them. Or you could try selling them on EBAY.

What is the max pressure they will hold before leaking? It isn't unheard of for cruisers to run at pressures below 150PSI, you really dont need high velocities to score aboves.

The surface area ratios on the piston could (in theory) be modified to change the max pressure (a lathe would be helpful for this). The spring's main purpose generally is to close the valve when it is de-energized, it does also contribute to keeping the valve closed some. (You could play with the spring constant and try to get a stiffer spring but I doubt that is worth the time/effort.)

7. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

I'd look seriously at a set of Spartans. They seem to be doing very well in boats and cost slightly less than the Cliippard MMEs. Even better, the Spartans come in 6v solenoids for the 6v boats.

8. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

You might be able to increase the spring force closing the valve by shimming with washers (although I suspect those would be custom washers). take the valve apart and you will understand how it operates and see what I mean

9. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Interesting, I've got those solenoids and they worked in POW at 150#. Now I want to go connect them to a regulator and make sure they didn't age poorly!