Club Meeting

Discussion in 'North Atlantic Treaty Combat Fleet' started by Bob Pottle, Jan 4, 2010.

1. Bob Pottle

Bob Pottle Well-Known Member

Hi Guys,
    It's time we started planning for meetings and battles in 2010. I don't expect everyone to attend a meeting in HRM, where most members live, but we can get Jason on the phone. I think he's the only active NATCF/NABS member far outside of metro.
    How about a meeting in February? The main issue to dicuss is getting more Treaty ships finished and on the water. Most of us will also be battling IRCWCC style this year and we need to find new battle sites, hopefully one in the Annapolis valley and one in HRM.
    Bob

2. Jay Jennings

Jay Jennings Well-Known Member

Sounds good Bob, I just replied to an e-mail from Scott Foster and he is working on his Iowa Class and is home now. Post up when you want to have a meeting and I am sure people will come.
    J

3. sinkin321

sinkin321 Member

Bob: Sounds good to me, I was thinking the same thing today after talking with Mike Bowes. I may be able to get the office in burnside again to host if you wish. Its not a bad spot, with the board room table and work shop - just let me know.
    John

4. Bob Pottle

John,
    Let's meet at your Burnside office. I can meet any weekend in Feb. except for the first one. How about feb. 13 or 14 at 1330h?
    Bob

5. sinkin321

sinkin321 Member

14th may be a bit rough with taking my wife out of town but the 13th.. i will check with my boss but don't see a problem

6. Jay Jennings

Keep in mind that the 14th is Valentines Day, wifey may not be too pleased if we schedule a meeting in the middle of her day.

Mine is working that day, so I am good.

J

7. HMCS

HMCS Active Member

Do we have a firm date yet?

8. Jay Jennings

Well news flash. I am going to be in Quebec from 7 to 28 Feb. I am hoping to have access to the internet so if someone can pm me the results etc I would appreciate it.
    J

9. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

At least you will be there for part of Quebec Winter Carnival.

10. Bob Pottle

Suggest we delay the meeting 3 weeks until Jay can attend (i.e. the first weekend of March). Haven't heard anything from Steve H. about the meeting but will be talking to him again this week. (He was working on HMS Vanguard last weekend.) No rush to meet as the water will be solid for at least 2 more months and we've rarely started battling before mid-May, when the H2O is still chilly.
    Bob

11. HMCS

HMCS Active Member

Works for me, I am on vacation until the 24th of March.

12. sinkin321

sinkin321 Member

Ok I will ask the boss about March. He had no problem with Feb so this shouldn't be a problem either. So let me know the date for March and we'll have the spot.
    Also that will put us close to the Shearwater show.

13. Bob Pottle

March is flying by with no time for R/C combat stuff other than some filling and sanding of defects in one of the I-400 molds (@$%#& thing!!). I have to go to NB on 2 of the next 3 weekends and have committments on the weekend I'm here. Should we have our NABS/NATCF meeting on the weekend of the Museum show (April 10th or 11th)?
    I thought Jay would be back from PQ by now but haven't seen any recent posts by him. Ian was in touch last week re the Hood refit but he's going to sea again (next week I think) and won't be back until late April. By then the final components should be here and we can finish the Hood.
    Rob is busy with a variety of projects but won't be using the Koenig for Treaty again. Don't know if he's converting Tirpitz to a Treaty ship. I believe Scott Foster is at sea again. Expected to see him in Feb. when he planned to buy the Furious hull but didn't. Haven't heard from Steve H. since he was working on Vanguard again in January. No news from our Valley members either. Hopefully other people made more progress with their ships over the winter than I did!
    Bob

14. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

I am working on two concurrent builds. The USS Tennessee and DKM Graf Spee. The Graf Spee is half way through it's hull cut. I just got some Silk span from Battlers so I can now start contemplating resheeting the PE. it just leaves the Nelson sitting on the shelf waiting to be marked and then eventually cut.

15. Bob Pottle

I didn't know you had a Nelson hull Paul. I'll be cutting mine out next week and glassing on the fiberglass deck. I'm building it as Rodney in early 1941 when she engaged Bismarck. This'll be an IRCWCC model because the Nelson Class is too slow under Treaty rules. I won't have a capital ship for Treaty until I finish Vanguard and Furious (probably in 2011).
    Want to work on the 2 Nelsons together and figure out the best equipment installation?
    Bob

16. slow_and_ugly

slow_and_ugly Active Member

Bob,
    My Nelson had 2 robbe 3.3:1 geared motors like on this page

http://www.harbormodels.com/site08/motors.htm

The speed was perfect - which was good, since there were no drag props.

These are a bit expensive, but probably any 3.3:1 gear drive with a 550 would work.
    I have a Nelson hull too--- but nothing happening with it for a while.
    I also have an excellent plan for the superstructure showing (I believe) both Nelson and Rodney

17. Jay Jennings

WOW, that is allot of Allied firepower!!! It's OK though, one small Axis ship should take care of them. D#&m!! wrong thread.
    Hi guys, sorry I haven't been here much, the big winds that happened while I was gone did a number on my roof! The roofers are here now, bang, bang go the hammers and the dogs are LOSING their minds!!!
    Any time is a good time for a meeting for me, just let me know.
    J

18. Bob Pottle

Looks like most of us will be at Shearwater. Why don't we have an informal meeting/discussion there? Looks like we need a new battle site. I checked out Spectacle Lake in Burnside again last week. The city has cut down all the alders and small trees in the potential launching area I'd scouted before, making it more user friendly for us. They've thinned out the foliage all round the lake's pathways so I got a much better look at the area. It's a good size with two wide areas connected by a narrow one (hence the name). Either half is big enough for a battle with the eastern "lens" more accessible. I'm guessing the lake is about 100' across and each "lens" is about 200' long. I have no idea what the depth is but will check it when the water is warm enough for snorkelling.
    Bob

19. HMCS

HMCS Active Member

Home now, went back 4 weeks early as they needed experienced people for a rig move, did a double hitch as well this time back, this season is looking good as I will be using my banked days to take June,July and August as vacation. Is there/was there a meeting? I get out of of the loop as we only have sat email on the boat, no internet.

20. Bob Pottle

No meeting yet but there will be a battle on the 22dn of May. Most of the ships will be IRCWCC but I'm sure a small Treaty battle can be held. I'll have one ship set up for Treaty and one for IRCWCC.
    Re a meeting I don't know if it occurred during the Shearwater show because I couldn't attend. I won't be free to attend a meeting until I get back from vacation in mid-May, but feel free to proceed without me.
    Bob