CO2 shut off for cruisers (Light weight)

Discussion in 'Research and Development' started by Powder Monkey, May 6, 2008.

1. Powder Monkey

Powder Monkey Active Member

well I might be a newbie here [:p] but I have spent plenty of time on the paintball field so I put some of that to use and headed to my local paintball store and sat down with my buddy the tech explained our sport and my weight issue and he was intrigued with the idea of fighting models not to mention he gets to keep me as a customer and maybe find some new ones [;)] but anyways we took apart my 3.5 and weighed the stock valve than played around with a ton of combination. it was neat got to use his workshop and all the new air toys in the front display case if it would fit we tried it on. so what we came up with was the lightest and I think easiest set up.
    We used the stock valve lighter than off on valve by a ton even when we installed a siphon tube. Than we went with TSO "Thread Saver" Inline On/Off ASA w/purge works great when you turn it off it dumps your system. Will let you know in July if it works as well as I think it will [^]
    I will put a link below for manufacturer there is even a video some kid made so you can se it work

] Picture275.jpg

Picture277.jpg

www.newdesignz.com/Misc_5.htm

well I hope this helps someone. [:D]

2. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

Is that lighter than replacing the pin valve with a 1/4 turn on/off valve?

3. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

What about dimensions? Is it smaller, lengthwise, than using a 1/4 turn valve? Also, how MUCH of a mass difference did it make?

4. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Cost?

5. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

I would think that the size would limit it.

6. Powder Monkey

Much look at the size of that block of brass and if you installed it your self you would know the 1/4 turn goes a lot deeper into the bottle than the pin valve don’t remember the numbers but it was quiet significant

7. Powder Monkey

Under $20. Tug

I think I paid $14

8. Powder Monkey

It was like 1/4 longer but made up for it in weight loss and cruisers have lots of length to play with but no weight you can see the Penny I put to give you a scale

9. Lou

Lou It's just toy boats -->> C T D <<-- Admiral (Supporter)

Ok, I am a little dense on this. Does this mean you could use a bottle with pin valve?

10. Powder Monkey

Yes it screws right on to pin valve before the regulated and when you turn it one way it press down on the pin pressurizing your system. Turn it the other way and it releases the pin and bleeds off your system. Go to the link and watch the video it was put together by a kid but it shows the product

11. Powder Monkey

Well so far so good it works just as expected it confused some of the older guys at first but they are actually starting to like it. The best part is it dumps your air when you shut off and you can get to it in any position unlike the little ¼ turn on off cocks on the other system My hole bottle and regulator with the hose and full load of CO2 weighs 1.3 lb [^]

12. Powder Monkey

Justin do you think we should move this to product review or did I put it in the right spot?

13. admiraljkb

admiraljkb Member

After a few paintball CO2 bottle accidents that made the news a few years ago (one of those with a fatality), and some research I did into the accident reports trying to piece together what happened, NTXBG went ahead and banned the pin valve tanks. The On/off tanks are pretty easy to tell if something is wrong when unscrewing them since they're turned off before unscrewing them and unscrew pretty easily from the regulator. The pin valve tanks are always under pressure, so unless you are really paying attention, there is that possibility of unscrewing the pin valve from the tank instead of the regulator and getting a missile. I'd rather have a little more safety of the on/off valve.

14. Powder Monkey

What I don’t understand what you are asking or saying here please be more specific.

15. Mike Horne

Mike Horne Active Member

I think he's saying that unless the danger of "uncorking" the bottle is countered, then the pin valve tank is a no no for at least one big gun group, if not more. However, if the regulator you mention covers the pin valve, as my brief reading leads me to believe: then this may well deserve a good look for the smaller ships.

Mike

16. Powder Monkey

Well if the pin valve is seated correctly with locktighted and torqued that shouldn’t be an issue. However it dose cover the pin and as you screw it down it pushes pin in and screw it out it releases it and all the gas in the gun system as well so there is no pressure and no missile.
    [:0] I find it hard to believe any one could unscrew a pin valve from the bottle under pressure .

17. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

Should one get a valve that has not been properly tightened in place, they are really easy to unscrew. There must be more than a few since this is out there:

http://www.punisherspb.com/smart-parts-co2-on-off-valve.aspx

it does have a nice side effect of generally keeping you from getting liquid co2 through the valve.

18. Powder Monkey

That valve was one of the ones I played with. It weighs a ton compared to my set up and does the same thing. However with mine I use the stock pin valve but add a siphon tube that is in alignment with the over pressure nut so I know what points up so there is no Co2 in regulator it is locktighted and torqued and works the nuts as well as gives me the light weight I need I am very happy with it would recommend it for any cruiser captain I will even use this in my Iowa when I get it [^]

19. Ragresen

Ragresen Member

I have never had an issue with a pin valve tank that was not tightened properly. If you are concerned check the bottle out before buying. No One should be able to untighten the bottle pin valve by hand when the bottle is not under pressure and when under pressure there is that much more force one must exert to even move the pin valve to unscrew it. Then again I am a bit anal about checking my tanks out. I actually set my tank into water with some soap to check for possible leaks 4 times a year and really do a good look over and check of the valve on it. I will disguard a tank that looks bad from scratches that could lead to tank failure.