Combat Gear Solenoid

Discussion in 'Vendor News' started by Charley, Oct 25, 2016.

1. Charley

Charley Vendor

Guys,

I figured I would go ahead and share. The BC crew has begun production on it's solenoid project.
    This past weekend battle Lagan at lancing was our final testing phase.
    We anticipate release before Christmas with a retail price point at $40 each

They will feature
    3mm orifice for high flow ~26cfm@ mop150psi
    1/8 npt ports
    Aluminum lower body
    Completely serviceable

A dull detail of specs will be available soon

Attached Files:

Renodemona and Lou like this.
  2. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

What's the weight compared to the old KIPS.

3. Charley

Charley Vendor

I don't know on kips, as they are in my boats. but these are 4oz for 6volt version

4. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

Hey @Charley, have you thought about possibly also stocking the Spartan Scientific solenoids?

5. Charley

Charley Vendor

No have not considered them due to the size, materials in which they are made and psi rating with the 3mm orifice.
    The new BC solenoid will be available only in 3mm orifice for maximum flow but with a multitude of voltages even custom stuff all made in house by the BC crew. Parts and tech service available in house.

These solenoids are nearly same size as Kips and as light as possible

6. thegeek

thegeek Well-Known Member

Make the coils for 5 volts, this way I can use them at 18-24 volts and they will move faster/fastest.

7. Charley

Charley Vendor

LOL now that's funny

8. SteveT44

SteveT44 Well-Known Member

Now Charley, all you need to do is to incorporate an interrupter T into the solenoid!

9. thegeek

Well not that funny because I have been Overvolting Kips for quite a while. works well and have not one failure.

10. Charley

Charley Vendor

While yes it can be done. As our solenoids are only activated in pulses. Now a prolonged activation would be bad it would overheat and melt the insulation that most are only rated for 150-200c

11. thegeek

My son had tested them and you could fry eggs on the coil tops (Left them ON). Niether he nor I was informed about the test. "Surprise,Surprise,Surprise" 12 volts on 6 volt coils and they are fine to this day.

12. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

Charley, are you saying that its bad for your solenoids or for any? I have had kips stick open and never had anything happen. As these are used in car washes I am not sure if they stay on forever but if they shoot water then I would think they would stay energized for a while (unless normally open or whatever).. and if its soap they are used with then at least for a minute or so.

I know Jeff frequently runs around holding open his solenoids to drain the air. Would that be something that could melt the wires in your solenoids?

13. Charley

Charley Vendor

Ramble on

It could be bad to use any solenoid in a constant energized state in an overvoltage situation. A stuck valve is different(no power).
    Solenoids such as a 6 volt have a +/-% voltage that it can reliable operate in nearly any scenario of use constant on, pulsed, pressure rating etc...
    to little voltage reduces it operating pressure due to orifice size. To much voltage increases heat most magnet wire is rated 150-200c before the insulation melts.
    as in Carls scenario a 5 volt solenoid on 18+ volt left on is a Chernobyl waiting to happen :) some solenoids may just catch fire, just short, or just smell good.

No solenoid should melt if left on if you are using it at its rated voltage. It will get warm to hot.

Being 99.9% of our use is pulsed, overvoltage is not really a huge issue. Do I recommend it no but it has been proven in this thread that it works
    Ramble off

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
  14. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

So what you're saying then is that your solenoids may be a fire hazard? ;)

15. Charley

Charley Vendor

Yea that's it :)

Panzer likes this.
  16. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

I've seen one KIP melt way back at some forgotten battle. It glowed with a nice red color. The micro test switch failed closed and kept it on while the ship was bent patched over lunch.
    Jeff draining air is not long enough to melt them. Added to that the body is wet and being cooled by the water in the ship. I hi I he's safe.
    Have one stock solenoid that works at 5volt is nice for the 6v battery guys. Having one stock that runs at 10v should keep the guys running 10-12vilts happy.

17. SteveT44

SteveT44 Well-Known Member

I'll be running my Barhams' 12v Kips at 24v next season so we will see how it goes.

18. Charley

Charley Vendor