Computer Control

Discussion in 'Research and Development' started by JustinScott, Nov 18, 2006.

1. JustinScott

JustinScott Well-Known Member

Does anyone use a computer / embedded microcontroller for their warship?

2. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

There's a guy in the WWCC who built his own 2.4gHz controller using a playstation controller, some PICs, and a handful of other components.
    http://www.westernwarshipcombat.com/gallery/album58/IMG_7620
    http://www.westernwarshipcombat.com/gallery/album58/IMG_7621
    It's been successfully battled, sunk, and salvaged. He's still working on it to improve reception range (so he can chase people to the farthest reaches of the pond) and a few other things, but I'd say it's good. I've been bugging him to join the various forums to share his diabolical device, but so far no luck.

3. JustinScott

That would be great to talk with him! Why is he unwilling to discuss his design? I would love to know what choices he has made & what control he has provided himself.

4. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure why he doesn't discuss it online, he's very enthusiastic about it at the pond. From what he's told me, right now he has the basic controls for movement, turning, and fire port/starboard. It doesn't have more because his current ship (a torpedo-destroyer) only needs that much. His design has two-way communication so he can receive info from his ship, a set of nifty fail-safes, advanced gun control, and I'm sure there are other features I haven't heard about. He's building a battleship to demonstrate the full capabilities of his device.

5. JustinScott

That's awesome... I want to do something very similar once the new Iowa is complete. (Its unique in its own right, I'll show and tell once it I have a little more progress.)

If you can get him in contact with me, I'd appreciate it. I would love to know more about what he has created. Is he WWCC?

6. Craig

Craig Active Member

Sorry, never jumped in here before. That is awesome. Guys has he been in contact with any of you!

7. JustinScott

Nope... he has never ventured out this far. Too bad really, I would have liked to meet him.

8. Craig

Craig Active Member

It is too bad. Invention like that could really spike interest. Imagine, yes bud, just bring yoru wireless PS3 controller down to the pond with you... time to play a real video game!