Convoy Ship USS Samaritan

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by SteveT44, Mar 30, 2018.

1. SteveT44

SteveT44 Well-Known Member

Since I'm doing a full NAT's for the first time this year I thought it would be gentlemanly to show up with a convoy ship for Campaign battle. I'm going to base this one off the WW1 "Hog Island" type B hull. These were the Liberty ships before there were Liberty ships and built at the Hog Island shipyard in Philadelphia. The Hog Islanders were the first ships built using mass-production principles. Built to replace U-Boat losses during WW1, none actually saw service in the great war but many survived to serve in WW2. There were two designs produced at Hog Island. I'm picking the type B because this design had a plumb bow and stern which will adapt very nicely to my SteamPunk design philosophy (simple, cheap to build). The particular ship that will be modeled is the USS Samaritan, a WW2 hospital ship converted from it's original WW1 troop transport duties.

I'm not going to jump right into construction on this one because I haven't drawn up the plans yet. I'll be including the plans process (and plans) in this thread for all to enjoy. In 144th scale, the Samaritan will be 37.3" long and 4.8" wide.

Hog Islander type B

upload_2018-3-30_10-22-50.png

upload_2018-3-30_10-24-38.png

upload_2018-3-30_16-3-35.png

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
  2. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

Since she's a hospital ship, will we lose points for hitting her. ;)

3. SteveT44

SteveT44 Well-Known Member

:woot:

I suspect the axis fleet will have a laser focus on this one. Maybe double points for hitting the red crosses!!!!!