convoy ship

Discussion in 'Ship Comparison' started by rowboat captain, Oct 18, 2007.

1. rowboat captain

rowboat captain Member

Looking at making a convoy ship or ships for a winter project. What is an easy ship to build. Have been toying with the Idea of using it as a project for my boy scout troop .. some thing different to get the boys fired up and earn a couple merit badges at the same time (model design and building, and electonics).

2. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

For transports you've got a lot of options. It all depends on how you want to build it. If you like fiberglass, then talk to Tugboat. He's got a few beautiful fiberglass transport molds, and I bet he'd love for you to get a few. If you prefer a wooden hull, then I'm the one to talk to. I drew up plans for the Mehoshi Maru, a small Japanese oiler. I can email you the plans, and all you have to do is print them off, buy some wood, and start cutting.

The wooden hull is a nicer end product, overall, but fiberglass has fewer places for rookies to make mistakes.

3. donanton

donanton Member

Hey kotori, do you know whats goin on with the PUMA transport build?

4. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I've been making more progress on them. I'll post the photos tomorrow... oh wait, it's past midnight. I mean later on today ;) it's late and I'm too sleepy to think coherently

5. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

Do you think you could email me over those plans? I've pretty much settled that I want to build a small convoy ship as my first project, but I'm seemingly unable to actually pick one out. Is she based off of any particular vessel, or is it pretty much just a generic?

6. lalimerulez

lalimerulez Member

whats the best Allie convoy ship?

7. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

Depends on what you define "best" as, and which club you are in. Smaller convoys are harder to hit, but worth less points per fun then a larger ship in small gun. Larger ships are worth more in runs, but easier to hit, and therefore sink, so it's a tossup.

My PERSONAL preference would be for a ship I could use as a convoy ship OR as a warship depending on my mood, or the scenario. A ship that fits that mold from the allied perspective would be the Independence class aircraft carrier, built off a BC supplied Cleveland class cruiser hull. You could set it up as a convoy ship, or run it as a 1.5 unit warship (although very slow and unwieldy). You could also have a "criuser" deck armed with cannons to make a 3.0 unit warship, and a second "carrier" deck with the flight deck and superstructure and switch between the deck/superstructures on the same hull, and adjust speed as necessary.

Mike D

8. lalimerulez

lalimerulez Member

Hey Carl could you email those plans to me?

9. donanton

donanton Member

Anyone know how much a cad file gets shrunk with winzip? The mehoshi maru files are about 100mb total.