Convoy Ship

Discussion in 'General' started by Bob Pottle, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Bob Pottle

Bob Pottle Well-Known Member

A few years ago I started building Japanese CL Ibuki for Washington Treaty combat (see long build thread). Work will resume soon - I have to cast and install the quarterdeck within the next 3 weeks - but I no longer plan to use it as a combat ship. From what I've read the ship was 80+% complete at war's end but never commissioned so can't be used as a combat ship. As the original appears to have been mobile can it be used as a convoy ship at official competitions?

2. kgaigalas

kgaigalas Well-Known Member

Convoy ships are used at NATS - IRCWCC
    This year we did not have Campaign (maybe if you where there that would have been different)
    By the rules, it would take a unanimous vote to let a ship battle that was not on the list (exception)
    Also, since it is not on our ship list you would have to bring plans - 144th scale
    TOUGH QUESTION

3. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

convoy ships are on the list now? or are you voting on every single convoy ship, since no unarmed convoy ships are on the official ship list as far as I remember?

4. Bob Pottle

IJN Ibuki was built on a Mogami Class hull for which I assume the IRCWCC has plans. I used one of Ralph Coles fiberglass Mogami hulls for the conversion as can be seen in the build thread. I have several drawings of the flight deck and superstructure from different sources and some photos of the ship.

I recall seeing 2 Japanese CVLs in use at 2003 NATS as convoy ships.

5. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

Generally any ship used for transporting war material or people are convoy ships. Since we are a gun club CVs really have no place in battle. But they did deliver planes to bases so they can be used as convoy ships. Subs are very hard to make as a firing warship and really don't have a place in battle either, but they dropped off supplies and people so they are a convoy ship. A PT boat has also been used for the same reasons as subs.
    There were the German CV Graff Zeppelin and an Italian CV, who's name I forget, that were nearly finished but not commissioned. You cant used them as warships but they were targets for destruction and I feel could also be a convoy ship.
    Technically a lot of the US warships were turned into troop transports at the end of the war. So you can make an argument that they could be a convoy ship, but no one has done that yet, it would not be looked at very well.
    So... could Ibuki be a convoy ship, I don't really care if it is. It would have to be convoy ship speed and rudder size. Someone might look at you funny about it, but as long as there's one more convoy to shoot run it.

kgaigalas likes this.
  6. Lou

Lou It's just toy boats -->> C T D <<-- Admiral (Supporter)

Suggestion, use the class name and not the specific ship name on questions. We of course have mogami's, and if it is outfitted to carry planes and not BB guns then I am sure it will be allowed. Why not.

7. Lou

Aquila
    [​IMG]

8. Bob Pottle

No one at the 2003 NATS seemed to look funny at the 2 Japanese CVLs used as convoy ships, so I assume CVL Ibuki (a 1 ship class) will be fine with the correct rudder and speed. Thanks for clarifying.

9. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

2oo3 NATS, that's a long time ago. I ran one USA CVL in 03 and 04. Then had three of them in 05, 06. Back to two of them in 07, 08, 09, 10, 13, 14. I don't think I let the Allies use them when I was Axis, but I might have, it's all so foggy for those couple years. There was a Lexington at 02, 06, 10. A Jeep CV for a couple of years around 09-11. One of the bigger Jap CVs was around in 02, 12 or was it 14.

10. Bob Pottle

There was a Doolittle Raid carrier at 2003 NATS and I'm pretty sure a Graf Zepplin was also used in the Campaign event.

11. Lou

12. thegeek

thegeek Well-Known Member

13. SteveT44

SteveT44 Well-Known Member

A perfect example where fun trumps the rivet counters.

Considering the convoy rules allows any ship that was built to carry stuff, and the uncountable sizes and types of such ships built, I'm surprised there's any issues whatsoever on allowing any boat as a convoy target. If it looks like a freighter, tanker, liner, etc, who cares if it doesn't exactly match some dusty old blueprint. Set the speed to 34 seconds, turn off the pump, and go at it!

absolutek, NickMyers and buttsakauf like this.
  14. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

[​IMG]

15. kgaigalas

Bob P.
    less talk more battle
    Looks like nobody has a problem!
    When are you coming??

16. kgaigalas

Isn't it about time for the elected Admirals to start setting up things like Campaign?

17. Captain obvious

Captain obvious Active Member

I have a liberty that will get completed over the winter season.

18. Bob Pottle

And to my surprise we couldn't sink it!