Conway's 1906-1921 Bad Book

Discussion in 'General' started by Droidling, Oct 10, 2008.

1. Droidling

Droidling Member

Can a couple of you look up the Queen Elizabeth (page 33) in Conway's All The Worlds Fighting Ships and tell me if the page is legible? I started paging through my new copy of the book and in the Great Britain section alone there were 11 pages (33,36,37,41,44,45,48,49,52,53,56) that were printed so badly that I can barely read them. It almost looks like they were printed twice. If most of the '06-'21 books are good I'd exchange it. If I'm likely to get another one just like it there is no point. I'd rather have a poorly printed book than none at all.

Terry

2. FirePowerDan

FirePowerDan RIP

Terry. Where did you buy it? Send it back and either get your money back or a new one. Explain it to them.

3. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

Mine is fine. Just return it.

4. Droidling

Droidling Member

Thanks guys.

It was an ebay thing, so I'll be out the shipping. It says return it in 7 day for my money back.

We will see.

Terry

5. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Yeah, mine's fine, too. Was there something you wanted from that page while you're waiting to get a new one?

6. BoomerBoy17

BoomerBoy17 Active Member

You should look at the rating of the seller on Ebay, that is a nice feature. But yea, it may not even be the printing, it may be the wear and tear of the pages, who knows?

7. Droidling

Droidling Member

No. I bought the books in order to pick out my first ship. I'm still looking around. The 1922-1946 book was fine. It seems most of the ships you guys talk about are in that one anyway.

99.6% positive. The book is brand new. Listed as Very Fine condition, because of shelf ware. There was a lot of shelf wear, on top of the bad printing. This book may have been a reject that was never ment to be sold.

They already told me they would refund my money, so I'm just out the shipping.

Terry

8. BoomerBoy17

Oh well, you win some you lose some. How much did the Conway's run you, id like to get my hands on one of those?

9. sarges_heroes2003

sarges_heroes2003 Member

both mine are perfectly fine. The spine of the books is a little weak but for a book it has held up quite well. only a few miss prints or difficult to understand parts in the descriptions.

10. Droidling

Droidling Member

I think the auction went for $38. List price is $79. I think Amazon has it for around $50.

Terry

11. Droidling

Droidling Member

Enough people have said there copies are fine that I'm sure this was just a bad copy.

Terry

12. FirePowerDan

FirePowerDan RIP

Terry what we talk about and what you would like to build are sepprate issues. Some of us build because a relative served on a vessel. Some build because the vessel is an oddball. Some build because the person thinks he will be king of the pond with it. Plans have a lot to do with it. Do plans exsist for this vessel I have chose? Many more but. I think you get the idea.

13. BoomerBoy17

there is always a bad egg, you have to be careful. Thanks Droidling, i think ill look into that.

14. Droidling

Droidling Member

I guess like most rookies I was looking to be "King of the pond". So I went through Conway's 1922-1946 and picked out the ships I thought would be the most aggressive fighters. Then I went down to the WWCC sortie on Sunday and talked to anyone who would listen. What I gleened from the experience was that it is less important to have the baddest boat on the pond than it is to just build a reliable ship that my side can depend on.

In the end we narrowed it down to a couple of choices, and finally picked the Scharnhorst by popular vote.

Thanks for the input Dan.

Terry

15. FirePowerDan

FirePowerDan RIP

That is a very good vessel. Godd speed and guns. Will it be the original version or the up gun 6-15inch version?

16. Droidling

Droidling Member

I wasn't sure the 15" guns would be legal. I didn't think they were ever installed. I really need to find a good reference book on the Scharnhorst. I have another thread asking about plans and books. Hopefully someone can give me a recommendation.

Terry

17. FirePowerDan

FirePowerDan RIP

In the WWCC if it says anything in Conways about it,it can be done. Check the text. If nothing is there you have to find two sources in other books. Then you have to get approval.

18. Droidling

Droidling Member

Conway's definately mentions it. I think it said that the turrets were eventually used as shore batteries. I'm not sure if they meant the the old turrets were taken out or that they used the new turrets intended for the Gneisenau.

I was planning on the Triple 11 inch guns. What would you put in?

Terry

19. FirePowerDan

FirePowerDan RIP

I like the historical vessel the triple version with 7/32nd guns. I have had conversations in the past that the Axis navy battleships do not the hitting power of an Allied vessel. Triple 1/4inch seem to create more damage than doubles which most Axis BBs have. The true Axesis BBs with triple 1/4 inch are the Littorio's & the Yamato's. It amazes me that the Germans could not get a triple turret say for their H-39, let alone on a Bismark. I would go for the triple 7/32nds on the Scharnhorst as opposed to the twin 1/4inch version. Not the gospel,just my opinion.

20. Droidling

Droidling Member

I think your right, Sir.

I couldn't tell you if 3 x 7/32 holes lets in more water than 2 x 1/4, but I do know 3 holes is more points than 2.