Cruisers

Discussion in 'Ship Comparison' started by eighthgear, Jun 9, 2009.

1. froggyfrenchman

froggyfrenchman Well-Known Member

All of the Suffren class ships were a little different. Lengths, and beams were not the same, but for the most part the hull can be used for any of them.
    But more importantly, some carried only 6 TT, but others carried 12.
    Mikey

2. eighthgear

eighthgear Member

How many guns could be realistically be armed on either the Suffren or the Gloire? I was worried that their size would make it hard to install even non-rotating guns. If I was to build just a torpedo armed cruiser, I would probably go with the Capitani Romani even though she is axis.

3. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

Nothing says you have to arm ALL the guns. Most Torpedo cruisers don't arm ANY guns if I understand correctly. If I were you, I'd just arm the torpedo cannons, and then some fixed stern guns. I'd think that rotating guns on a cruiser are more dangerous to you then the enemy. If you can give someone a broadside, you probably will. Of course this means you're probably going to TAKE a broadside at the same time, and their 1/4" will be bigger then yours. With fixed stern guns, you get to keep your ship pointed in the right direction in relation to enemy capital ships...away from them.

4. froggyfrenchman

My first big-gun cruiser was a fully armed Suffren, with the mains, and 6 torps. That boat was full. I then pulled the stern cannons out of her, and just ran the two turrets in the bow, and the 6 torps, and she was a really good boat.
    The she was converted into a Tourville for the extra speed, and was armed with only the 6 torps, and she was a great boat.
    Lots of fun without lots of work.
    Mikey

5. eighthgear

eighthgear Member

The Suffren seems like a admired ship, so I think I will go with her. I will probably just arm the torpedoes to start off with and then add the main guns later.

6. froggyfrenchman

That seems like a reasonable project.
    The mistake that some have made in the past is to try to do too much too soon.
    Only partially arming your first boat is a good game plan. It will allow you to get on the water in less time, at less expense, and enjoy the boat.
    Good look.
    Mikey